Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I am looking for a how to do guide (written or video) to take apart gearbox of my R3 2015 Yamaha. I appreciate it if anyone can help with this. The 4th and 5th gears start to slip in my bike. I want to fix it myself.
Thanks, Ebi

·
Registered
425 Posts
Oh boy.

I am really, really tempted to say, "If you have to ask the question that you just asked in the place that you asked it, you do not have the technical experience and knowledge to do what you just asked how to do".

The procedures involved are in the factory service manual. In a very short summary, all of the accessories around the engine have to come off so that the engine can then come out of the bike, and you then have to split the crankcases in order to gain access to the transmission shafts. At that point it becomes a matter of inspecting and identifying which parts have to be replaced in order to solve the problem.

There is only one written guide that you need ... the factory service manual. It's all in there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh boy.

I am really, really tempted to say, "If you have to ask the question that you just asked in the place that you asked it, you do not have the technical experience and knowledge to do what you just asked how to do".

The procedures involved are in the factory service manual. In a very short summary, all of the accessories around the engine have to come off so that the engine can then come out of the bike, and you then have to split the crankcases in order to gain access to the transmission shafts. At that point it becomes a matter of inspecting and identifying which parts have to be replaced in order to solve the problem.

There is only one written guide that you need ... the factory service manual. It's all in there.
Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Thank you for your help.
Is it possible that your clutch is slipping/worn out? A clutch replacement is a WHOLE lot easier to replace than the transmission/gearbox. Either way, you will need the factory/OEM manual from Yamaha for either/both of those repairs. I'd start with the clutch. It's much easier/cheaper than the the gearbox. I haven't replaced a clutch on an R3, but I can do a clutch on most bikes in about any hour. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out :cool:-

·
Registered
15 Posts
What do you mean by slipping gears. Gears by definition cannot slip. Is it an issue with popping out of gear? Is it a slipping clutch?
This, exactly this. If you throttle it and the speed increases at a disproportionate rate to the engine speed, then it's the clutch. If, however, you throttle it and it pops out of gear, then you need to either replace the offending gears, or better yet, have them undercut.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts