Yamaha R3 Forums banner

How To Reverse/GP Shift with Stock Foot Controls

28K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  martin 
#1 · (Edited)

We just bought a new 2015 R3 last night.
Soon, we will be throwing a ton of parts on it, with Install Videos, write-ups and first hand reviews, feedback....etc....etc.

Most of here at the shop have been racing for a long time. So we all prefer GP/Reverse Shift pattern.

As most of you who have tried GP Shift......... it's hard to ever go back to standard shift pattern.

Your foot can push soo much harder and faster, DOWNWARD, then it can pull your toe upward.

So faster gear shifts are soo much easier, with GP Shift. Less Miss Shifts, and less false neutrals.

First thing we noticed on the R3 was... .. "How can we switch to GP Shift on this, NOW.. ?"

We will be getting Rear sets shortly, but in the meantime we needed to figure out a way to do GP Shift.

After realizing the stock rod wouldn't work, we found a longer rod floating around the shop and after about 5 min. of brain storming, came up with this setup.

Of course, if you are going to road race the R3....... Rear Sets are the way to go.

But, if you are on a shoe string budget..... or just ride on the street, but prefer GP Shift....... This is a good solution.

Yea It's not pretty........ But it works. And works well. :)

See less See more
#14 ·
Yeah... I've watched all of the videos on different things on the Grom but felt it was time to move on something that had more power behind to get out of the way of something on the interstate in rush hour traffic and could be on the interstate (not just in rush hour stop and go traffic). I did look at the BBK but then I saw people having issues or not watching their temp and then pop the motor. I didn't know how I felt about risking $1,500 or so and risk having to either part it out, buy a new motor, or etc if something happened.

I hope to see a bunch of how to videos once the aftermarket really picks up on the R3 from you guys :)
Let me know if you need anyone to test something out if you develop something... I really do wish I had the things to do the reverse shift like you guys but I don't have a bunch of extra stuff laying around from other builds/bikes. :-/

#17 ·
Any chance you could give the specs on the shift rod and the ball cups? I really dont want to spend the $ for rearsets. Did you use the ball cups from the stock shifter? What was the length of the rod?

Reactions: Tintin
#19 ·

Sorry, guys that setup is long gone.... as we have switched to Rear Sets.

All we did was take a rod, and just bend it till we got it the way we like.

Used Stock Ball Joints.

The rod was about 2" longer then stock to start.

If you use the lever in the photo as a scale, you can get probably a 99% accuracy of each bend.

#20 ·
For those of you that want to change to GP/Reverse shift but want to keep the original rearsets here is a solution.

I don’t have any intention of converting my bike into a track bike but I do prefer the GP/Reverse shift as it makes more sense to me and have been doing it to all the bikes I have owned in the past.
So when I bought the R3 it was the first thing I had to change on it to suit my riding style. I didn’t want to spend money on new rearsets so I came up with the following solution:

I went to a local engineering company to make up a new pushrod for the R3 as the standard one is too short and hits the bolt on the rearset when you turn the gear link arm at 180 degrees.
The new pushrod has a kink in it to clear the bolt and is also threaded correctly to take both the right hand and left hand threaded ball joints on the ends.
The pictures show how the pushrod clears the bolt from the rearset and it works brilliantly. All the adjustability is kept by the fact that the pushrod is threaded in exactly the same manner as the original.
All I had to do is to remove the old pushrod and of course I had to remove the gear leaver itself from the rearset to make sure the kink sits in the correct place and clears the bolt. Tighten up the lock nuts on the ball joints and all was done.

I had a few extra pushrods made so if anyone is interested in one of these let me know via PM.

#29 ·
Anyone willing to sell a rod?
I figured out a way to make mine, though it requires bending the OEM rod. I also have those cheap eBay rearset brackets that relocate them a bit.

I just found a long bolt that has the same thread (IIRC it's M6x1.0) and a union nut. I cut off the head of the long bolt so I'm left with basically just a extended rod. That way, I can extend the existing rod. Having a lock nut wouldn't hurt either IMO.

After that, it's just a question of bending the stock rod so it clears the rearset. For that, I just put it in a vice and bent it. Trial and error.

I did it this way because it cost me 1.65$ for the bolt and union nut and it's the first time I'm trying GP shift. If I don't like it, I still have the longer rod that came with the eBay rearset brackets to return to standard shift.

I do have to say though, it won't give you the 90 degree angles like OP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.