Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hustle Hard Racing Project R3 Build:

We wanted to build an R3 that had the best performance parts to offer..
We started the project with the only bodywork we could fine at that time,
Hotbodies, Bad idea, this stuff was super hard to work with, heavy and just not good quality at all!
There own screen did not even fit properly.

After Carbonin Avio Fiber was available we naturally switched to carbonin,
Its Light weight because it uses an Aviation Epoxy resin which makes it light
and flexible and is reinforced with carbon fiber so is strong. It also has a
superbike tail unit which raises the stock seat height 1.5” which is needed for most on this bike.
We had it painted using carbonin's paint service.

The stock bike has a very sit up and beg riding position with raised
clip-ons for a good learner style Riding position..
We replaced the clip-ons with RME (Robby Moto Engineering) clip-ons
which mount under the triples.

We also took off the ignition barrel because RME makes a Run/Kill
switch to delete it and it is a direct plug and play switch.
This let us get rid of the stock housing which incorporates the throttle,
We replaced that with an RME quick turn throttle which has a billet
housing and comes with cables.. You get 4 options of reels for different
degrees of turn. We went with the shortest turn..

We also installed RME EVO Rearsets, but plan to switch to EVOL Technology rearsets ASAP. We have a special working relationship with Evol Technology and have developed the R3 rearsets with them. We can wait to throw them on the bike and show you as they are on a whole different level :)

We replaced the Stock OEM levers with Lightech magnesium Alien Levers,
The clutch replaces the whole perch assembly which is light saving more weight.
We added Core Moto Custom Brake lines with Titanium blued banjo’s..
might as well save weight there too! We installed Vesrah Brake pads to give it that 1 finger touch.
This cleans up the control areas very well.
And while we were installing the cables we installed graves smog block off plates too..
Any weight saved will be huge on this bike!

Since we are running a Full Arrow GP2 system which has a Titanium GP2
can we installed an MWR air Filter and a Rapid bike Racing system with
their new Strain guage quick shifter (this will be precious for valuable tenths on track)

For protection we are using R&G engine case covers that cover the
whole case and are a simple bolt on covers, Lets not forget about
radiator protection, after all some tracks have a lot more gravel or rocks
around like chuckwalla for instance, we went with the R&G radiator guard on that.

We also saved lots of weight by using the Motoholders Front fairing bracket
which is super light and fits perfectly.

We did run into an issue with the Ohlins Damper and Graves Mount kit
because of the design on the motoholders however since we don’t need
the lower part of the fairing bracket we cut it off giving room to mount the damper
The graves kit comes with a Lock Stop that bolts to the lower triple and
this stops the bars from being able to turn all the way to the factory lock stops
Not what you want on the track on any bike!

We also installed Graves Captive wheel spacers on the stock wheels
and their Rear chain adjuster retention springs which is a must if you
have taken the rear wheel off one of these! Everything just falls out of the swingarm..

We Decided that we would try out a set of Marchesini Aluminum wheels
which we saved a ton of weight doing..
Coupled with a Speedmotoco 415 chain and sprocket set (18/57 gearing) for even more weight savings on the drivetrain.

[/SIZE]​

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Freakin awesome! And ****, that Carbonin bodywork looks so good! The fit is unreal. Probably best I've ever seen. I said I wasn't going to go with that because of the cost, but I might have to rethink that in the future. Aside from Hotbodies (which sucks), Pro-Fiber is the only other brand I've seen so far that has a superbike tail for their R3 track fairings, but I haven't seen any reviews or on-bike pictures of their sets, but they are a lot cheaper than Carbonin.

How many of those fairings can be set up with Dzus fasteners? I imagine the belly pan like on most bikes, but are there any other that can be setup with Dzus and make install/removal much quicker?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Freakin awesome! And ****, that Carbonin bodywork looks so good! The fit is unreal. Probably best I've ever seen. I said I wasn't going to go with that because of the cost, but I might have to rethink that in the future. Aside from Hotbodies (which sucks), Pro-Fiber is the only other brand I've seen so far that has a superbike tail for their R3 track fairings, but I haven't seen any reviews or on-bike pictures of their sets, but they are a lot cheaper than Carbonin.

How many of those fairings can be set up with Dzus fasteners? I imagine the belly pan like on most bikes, but are there any other that can be setup with Dzus and make install/removal much quicker?

Thanks SBK1198 :)

Please note...pro-fiber is fiberglass, We know the owner and he is a great guy.. Carbonin is Glass Epoxy Resin, the same stuff used in airplanes, totally in a different category from fiberglass. Lighter, stronger, more flexible, and reinforced with Carbon Fiber.

The cool thing is that Carbonin come pre-fitted with riveted DZUS Fasteners.. The **** R3 takes a crap ton of them (13)

All fairings can be setup with DZUS with a lil elbow grease and patience. Most people find it a pain in the ass to lineup and drill out your own fairings, which you have to do for most... Personally, the pre-fitted carbonin avio fiber bodywork with pre riveted dzus fasteners really makes it nice and stand out above the rest... we had to do some modifying to get the hotbodies to work, and it felt like it was going to break half the time... there is no comparison..

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Thanks SBK1198 :)

Please note...pro-fiber is fiberglass, We know the owner and he is a great guy.. Carbonin is Glass Epoxy Resin, the same stuff used in airplanes, totally in a different category from fiberglass. Lighter, stronger, more flexible, and reinforced with Carbon Fiber.

The cool thing is that Carbonin come pre-fitted with riveted DZUS Fasteners.. The **** R3 takes a crap ton of them (13)

All fairings can be setup with DZUS with a lil elbow grease and patience. Most people find it a pain in the ass to lineup and drill out your own fairings, which you have to do for most... Personally, the pre-fitted carbonin avio fiber bodywork with pre riveted dzus fasteners really makes it nice and stand out above the rest... we had to do some modifying to get the hotbodies to work, and it felt like it was going to break half the time... there is no comparison..
That sounds fantastic. I've never had a set of fairings that actually fitted as designed. Always had to do a bunch of work and still looked like crap in the end. Granted I've also never paid more than like $500-600 for a set lol. Does it actually come painted or what is that black glossy finish on? Almost looks from the pictures that they come painted and even clear coated? Do they come in the traditional primer finish or not?

Well now I'm curious about that Avio fiber deal, so I fired off an email to Carbonin asking for some technical info. I work in the composites industry, in R&D actually, so I'm familiar with a lot of fibers and resins, as well as manufacturing processes of composites, so I'm not one to get excited over the marketing lingo ;) I know how that stuff works. Hopefully they'll reply and not think I'm some a-hole looking to copy their products LOL. That is definitely not my intention.

Reactions: Hustle_Hard_Racing

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
need to check pricing for carbonin.....looks hella nice and I want a raised rear seat, so superbike style seat is what I'm going for
$1035...yeah I like the raised seat idea too and I absolutely want a superbike tail.

Reactions: Hustle_Hard_Racing

·
Registered
424 Posts
Great work so far, looking forward to the progress of the build. I can't wait to see what else is thrown in to this build.
There's a few trick pieces already that I'ld love to add to my bike (unfortunately not allowed in the class I race though).

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Nice. Since you don't need your other track fairings and are getting rid of the rear sets, hand me downs would be nice. My address is a military FPO so shipping is free!

Kidding aside, very nice build. You guys def spared no expense. Would like to see the tech specs soon, power, total weight, and if you are willing to share, mapping info if any.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts