Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to replace my stock shitty michelin tyres with something more soft and grippy but I am on a budget. Does the pirelli angel city be a good replacement? Are they soft compared to the rock hard michelins?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I just got a set of Bridgestone S20 EVO tyres in stock sizes.
Very good tyres and reasonably priced.
Don't go too cheap, or you will spend your savings on the ambulance and pain meds.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the s20 Evos too.. amazing tires for street riding and carving up mountains.. night and day difference

·
Registered
169 Posts
S20 Evo's currently sitting at shop. Can't wait until the salt is off the roads so I can ride up and get them mounted!! Only heard good things :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
For what it's worth (cause I haven't seen anyone talking about them) the Metzler Sportec M7 RR's seem like a really good tire. Moreso if you live somewhere where there's likely to be rain or sand/grit on the roads. Also, they come in very good sizes for the R3.
Was going to get the Bridgestone S21's (successor to the S20's) but the proper size isn't being brought into North America. More research let me to the Metzlers, and I think I'll make the investment.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I almost thought about the Metzler's too but haven't seen much feedback on them. If you try them please provide some feedback and tag me on it :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
I almost thought about the Metzler's too but haven't seen much feedback on them. If you try them please provide some feedback and tag me on it :)
Lol - you already know the feedback. Same as anyone's feedback when replacing the stock tupperwa... er, uh, rubber. "Wow - these tires are amazing. So much grip. Had no idea it could be so good. Scraping pegs now with my lean angle"
But yeah, I'll post a blurb about them when I've got them spooned on.
http://www.metzeler.com/site/us/products/tyres-catalogue/Sportec-M7RR.html

·
Registered
346 Posts
Haha, I was really trying to look for a comparison between grip levels on the metzler and the S20's etc. Obviously they won't be THAT sticky, but curious to see how far the grip limit goes on street and light track usage.

Honestly I haven't had a ton to complain about on the stock tires yet, although I don't go crazy on the street, I have been able to get some massive lean angles on lower tire pressures. I dare not run the stock tires at stock pressure, it gets way too slippery in the rear.

·
Registered
346 Posts
29/30 -- although I'm 230lbs so I heat up the tire quite a bit, you would probably want to run it a pound or two higher if you're lighter.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Problem we have here is that most of the people on the forum live in the US, very different weather conditions than here in the UK. I hate the stock tyres and need something that warns up quickly and also does well in the rain! I am considering the Pirelli's

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
My next pair are Bridgestone Evo s20 but for now I want to wear down these stock ones at least the rear. I already had a pop rivet in the rear and fixed it. The're not that bad on grippy tarmac but here we have some tarmac that's shiny and very slippery especially in the summer from the sun heat. You can tell it's slipping even when down shifting lightly.

·
Registered
106 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Are the OEM tires really that bad? I assume just for track use and not everyday riding?
You will get mixed opinions. I learned to drag knee on the oem tires. I did it ALOT of times (As in, over 50 times doing donuts at our MSF course on base). I also did it on a canyon run. I've never tracked the stock tires, so i can't speak on that. Stirz, who used to post a lot, mentions in one of his threads he tracked the stock tires.

For me, the stock tires are usable on the street. Not the best, but usable. Usable for the canyons too. That said, I swapped to S20's. Why? I don't have the time to swap back and forth tires, as I do run the bike on the track as well.

Everyone posts as if the tires are just waiting to kill you. I found them to be usable. Again, not the best, but definitely usable.

Edit: by MSF course I meant the range, not during one of the courses lol.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Nice.. yeah it keep reading how bad they are which had me a little worried. But I do not track, ride canyons, etc. Just everyday street so they should suffice. Average mileage before replacing under normal wear and tear?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts