Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
****... I just dropped my brand new HJS RPHA-10 helmet on the side walk. It fell right on on the rear air vent, knocking it loose. I scratched up it pretty good. I also stretched the side of my 50$ blue mirrored visor that I bought yesterday... Awesome...

I've heard that a dropped helmet must be replaced. That seemed rather dubious to me, so I did some research. I looked on the snell foundation website, and they say:

"Generally the answer is probably not. Helmets are one-use items, but are quite durable otherwise, at least the ones we certify."

and

"In general, the real damage comes when the helmet contacts an object with a head inside."

So there you go. Looks like I'm okay... just really pissed off.

What would you do?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Remove the lining. The foam should be painted black. This will allow you to see if a crack has formed.

Also, just replace it

·
Super Moderator
1,330 Posts
It's notable that your noggin' wasn't in it, so there was no pressure against the foam. Er right, like the quote you already mentioned. I would inspect and use. Replace if you are paranoid or wealthy I guess ...

·
Registered
542 Posts
It's probably fine, but its up to you. I bought a new helmet after a low side and head impact, but kept the old one as a back up. I ride in it occasionally if my old one is still wet from rain or whatever. I have no doubt that it'll still do its job better than a bucket, no helmet, or knock off brand helmet even with some smalls dents and scratches on the shell.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I can discard it for you free of charge (pending what color scheme it is)

Seriously though, scratched through the paint only and I'ld still use it, any damage to the fibreglass underneath the paint and it's time for a new lid

·
Registered
304 Posts
Not to be a downer, but the #1 cause for death to riders is traumatic head injury, while the 3-foot fall to your helmet probably did not compromise it's integrity, it may have.

It's your head/brain, how much is it worth to you?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Some get a new one, some don't.

Mine has saved my ass 3 times, my buddy's saved him twice.

I got a new one after the 3rd fall though.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I know it's an HJC, but Shoei will inspect their helmets for free if you send it to them. Maybe HJC would do the same thing?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Get it X-rayed. Like stated some manufactures offer this for free.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Can we see pictures of said helmet?
But I'll agree with most, just inspect and if no real damage has been done keep using it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
227 Posts
ask if HJC will do the inspection for you

the shock absorption layer cracks like spiderweb/egg shell if it's broken and can't check it visually. I think my wobble head still worth more than $300 though......

Hmm if Xray works I guess I'll offer it to my fellow rider patients when I open my practice down the line........

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, I am not going to worry about it. I'm really just mad at myself for dropping my brand new 260 dollar helmet.
I have a hard time believing that helmets are that fragile anyway. I dropped my previous helmet all the time, but it was 100 bucks so I didn't care.

I could X-ray it though... I actually go to school for X-ray. I could do it at school next semester
I'll get a picture too so you can see the damage.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
You should do a spectral analysis of the molecules.
It's possible the structural matrix of the atoms have loosened their covalent bonds,
resulting in compromised fusion integrity.

Spock will help you with it. I expect a full report by 0800 hours.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Remove the inner lining. If the shell looks cracked, keep the inner linings and replace the helmet. If it doesn't just live with the broken vent ... People drop helmets off their motorcycle all the time accidents happen. The ADV guys I tour with just pick it up and go when they drop em and they have more scratches on their helmets than on their crash cages.

·
Registered
304 Posts
So, I am not going to worry about it. I'm really just mad at myself for dropping my brand new 260 dollar helmet.
I have a hard time believing that helmets are that fragile anyway. I dropped my previous helmet all the time, but it was 100 bucks so I didn't care.

I could X-ray it though... I actually go to school for X-ray. I could do it at school next semester
I'll get a picture too so you can see the damage.
helmets are not fragile, they are designed to protect your head when a high-energy impact occurs...once, not multiple times. A low impact incident like dropping from a few feet most likely won't compromise your helmet's ability to keep your head safe. However, each small impact represents a probability that the helmet will be less effective for the next impact, and since your helmet's ability to protect your head is the number one factor in your chances of surviving an accident, why would you want to gamble spending a few hundred dollars vs death/permanent brain damage?

That being said, yeah, it sucks when you drop a helmet and have to buy another. It's happened to me and most of my friends.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts