Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys and Girls

Like the title says these forums have helped me out in choosing my motorcycle and make choices in regards to gear and accessories .
I'm a new rider, first bike went with the 2016 r3 red/white and I have a few questions in regards to my new motorcycle that is legit sitting in my garage until my gear arrives.

Decided to take the safe approach bought the bike didn't ride it,still sitting on 3 mile on the ODO.
I need your help for my next purchases I've read mixed feelings in regards to them.

So lets start ! :
- Frame, fork and rear sliders. from what I've read safe for low speeds bad for high speeds. Yes/No on buying them and why?
-I've purchased a Tail Tidy should I go with aftermarket turn signals for front/back?
-the only thing missing from my riding outfit are the pants Pros/Cons?
-I'm scheduled for my CHP rider program any other course that I should attend after?
-shorty levers any practical use?
-and for last question I know the r3 has 7 levels of suspension adjustment by factory is set on what? and did you change it and why?

Thank you!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Need your weight to suggest suspension setting. What type of riding too.

Frame sliders can do more damage than they save. They can bend things in a simple tip over and at speed on uneven ground you can flip the bike if they catch on uneven ground. Just go with fork and something on your swingarm. Full case protection will save you the most money and headaches in the end. If you get frame sliders get some that dont stick out much at all. You want them near flush with the fairings.

Some full case covers is something you cant lose with. Saves your cases, and no repairs.
http://www.procaliber.com/oemcatalo...079834c278/yzf-r3-engine-cover-protection-set

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hey welcome! I also purchased the red/white (best color ;) ) but 2015. I'll try to answer your questions, but they're my personal opinion so others may have different opinions/suggestions.

Sliders: I have frame and swing arm sliders. I move my bike in and out of a ground level basement all the time, so I figured it was better to have the extra protection just in case I drop it. I've heard they were helpful during moderate speed lowsides, and i've also heard they do more harm than good at higher speeds. It's personal preference I guess

Tail Tidy: I bought flush mount side signals as well as aftermarket tail signals for my Vagabond FE. When my pops told me he could barely notice I was signaling to turn I decided to put the stock signals back on. I'd rather have the giant orange lights on and be seen than sleek looking flush mounts and not be seen.

Pants: Pro your protected if you go down and slide. Con you go down and you get serious road rash from the thin material. Pick up a pair of kevlar jeans with some knee pads inside if you don't want to go all out with leather, or are somewhat on a budget.

Classes: I'm a fairly new rider as well, picked up my R3 late summer 2015. In NH you are required to take the Motorcycle safety course in order to get your license, but they also offer intermediate and advanced courses for after you get your license. The more classes you take the more practice you get, and practice never hurts.

Shorty Levers: Practical, no, they are simply just shorter than stock. The thing with shorty levers and most aftermarket levers are they are adjustable. That helps if you have smaller hands it's less you have to reach to engage the clutch or brake. I have shorty levers which adjust and really love them compared to the stock levers.

Suspension: You should be able to count the notches. I believe it should come stock on 3 (maybe 4??) with 1 being the softest and 7 being the stiffest. I ride with mine one notch up from stock, because for my weight, 190lbs, I found stock to be too mushy. It all depends on personal preference. You want your shocks to absorb the bumps of the road, but you also don't want it to be too soft that your bouncing up and down (over exaggeration).

Sorry if I was too brief with each topic, writing this as I head out of the office. I'm sure others will chime in with their opinions, and you can go from there! Congrats on the buy and safe riding

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
any input is valid. I'm not sure if its required here in CA but I've decided that for my safety and others as well I should take the course, plus it will save me of the riding test from DMV.
And I do agree red/white is the nicest ! the black would be second best

·
Registered
761 Posts
I've decided that for my safety and others as well I should take the course, plus it will save me of the riding test from DMV.
1st, Welcome!!

Very smart move. I rode 20 years without the class and my wife wanted to learn. I took the class with her and learned some things making me an even better rider. Being a new rider, the riding class will get you off to a great start and you can build from there.

As for mods, most are cosmetic. I would personally put more money into protective gear and let the cosmetic mods come a little at a time.

Good Luck and Ride Safe!

Kirk

·
Registered
175 Posts
Wise decision of waiting until the gear arrives. It must be so hard to resist :)
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I started in this order:
April: Started shopping for gear (jacket, gloves, boots)
1st week of May: Took MSF course
Mid May: put down the deposit, bought helmet, lock
June 1st: Rode my R3 home :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Welcome!

• Crash Protection: There are definitely pros & cons to frame sliders. Revzilla did an article that points out a few things. http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/sliders-everything-you-wanted-to-know-and-some-stuff-you-didnt
    Personally I have factory frame sliders, front axle sliders and rear spool sliders. I also added case covers for added peace of mind. The Yamaha branded ones that Bird posted are GB Racing covers with Yamaha's name on them.
  • Turn Signals: This is completely personal preference. I went with an integrated tail light and TST flush mount signals in the front. I just like the more streamlined look.
  • Pants:
    Pros: tons more protection than street clothes
    Cons: It can get hot, but as the saying goes "I'd rather sweat than bleed." Leather is the best protection, but good riding jeans, or good textile pants can save your skin as well.
  • Training: Get as much as you can afford. I'll be doing my first track day soon and the message I keep hearing from seasoned riders is, "You'll learn more in one day on the track than in years of riding on the street."
  • Levers: Another personal preference item. Adjustable levers are nice because you can set the reach for your hands. "Shorty" levers can also give you a better feel. It's all personal.
  • Rear Suspension: There's a whole science behind suspension settings, and what you're adjusting is sag. This is a good video on how to measure sag https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtzTyCKh5fY I'm a big girl so I turned it up quite a bit. Unfortunately I don't have anyone to help me measure so it's technically not set up properly.

·
Registered
545 Posts
You will want to go to suspension setting 4. You are on 3 by default.

It will feel much more planted in the rear, and just a tad taller feel and stance.

It goes over the bumps harder but to me it handles better. Try 4 and then 5. You will most likely settle on 4 and will never go back to 3 again.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You will want to go to suspension setting 4. You are on 3 by default.

It will feel much more planted in the rear, and just a tad taller feel and stance.

It goes over the bumps harder but to me it handles better. Try 4 and then 5. You will most likely settle on 4 and will never go back to 3 again.
Noted for own settings.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts