Yamaha R3 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
man this thread is full of some hilarious stuff!

give lenny kravitz a $200 squire knockoff strat or a $1200 gibsons cherry SG and listen to him play some awesome music in a methodical smooth way (making it look easy might I add)

give a chimp a $200 squire knockoff strat or a $1200 gibsons cherry SG and watch him smear his banana filled poop all over it not caring about what blaring horrendous tones are blurting out from the amp

the point? both the chimp and mr. kravtiz are enjoying themselves which is what they are entitled to in our capitalistic lifestyle!

p.s at the moment I am currently the chimp with the $200 dollar strat!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Try getting full coverage on a 600/1000 in Canada. Insurance is a huge deal.

Also, while I was pricing out insurances for my first bike I received a few quotes for 4k to 7k a year for a new R6 for full coverage here in NJ. (24 years old, 1 no point, unsafe driving ticket on my record at the time) I very quickly moved on from that thought and went a different direction.

Yea I heard Canada is like rape city for insurance on bikes..no idea why though. But **** dude what!? 4k to 7k a year!? That’s impossible… That’s like half the price of the bike..Are you calling 1-800-open-my-hole insurance co? Check out Rider Insurance, that’s who I have for insurance and I have pretty good coverage. Its only available for people in the north eastern states. I haven’t checked the rates on an 600 sport, but it can’t jump up exponentially because even my low insurance cost is based on a super sport category.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Okay okay yes, the most restrictive things on a bike is the user itself. Everyone is so technical nowadays :| , the next thing would be the bike itself haha then weight. Now you might have alot of years in riding, but lets bring up the example of Marc Marquez. He pissed on alot of people with minimal training and far less experience then all of the other riders in the league. Shunned people in the world of MotoGP, i think its time to realize there is alot of talent in the world. Id say the majority of people on this forum are inherently good at riding in general. Anyway i digress, anything over 550cc is not useless on the street...There are plenty of uses to have a bigger CC bike (especially if you two up regularly), but that is for a different discussion. And why the **** do people bring up insurance cost so much. I pay 240 dollars a year for my R3..That is like dirt compared to my 1600 i pay for my car. Insurance costs should not deter you from buying a bike..If you have a love for riding and admiration and respect for the art that is riding you wouldn't give a **** about insurance cost. Lets double my cost for double the engine size, 400-500 dollars a year for a 12-15k bike that will piss on mostly any car on the road and give you joy and excitement everytime you ride? Sold. Not to mention you get A BRAND NEW BIKE if you wreck it for like 500 downpayment and whatever your installments where? Now i do understand insurance costs are higher depending on what state/country/ etc. you live in but come on drop the insurance argument. Now health insurance, thats a wholleeee different thing :D
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Are you serious? Marc Marquez has been racing motorcycles since he was 4....4 years old. He has natural talent, yes, but in no way has Minimal training he has been riding for almost 20 years..and he is only 23....dude just stop.

My insurance on my R3, is cheap here in Ontario Canada....at 989$ a year. Yes that is CHEAP here. A 600 or 1000 would cost you from $2500-$5000 a year depending on the bike and experience.

And just Fyi wanting larger CC to help pull along a passenger...I have seen 10 people on a 10hp Honda Cub 90 being transported in India, or Vietnam...get off your high horse there bud.

Ill say it again...nobody NEEDS more than a 550cc motorcycle. People WANT them for whatever reason (comfort, racing classes, etc...) But don't kid yourself in thinking that anyone NEEDS more than 40-50HP for a streetbike.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
It means it has the appearence of being something very fast, but it is not. I often get people thinking i have a 600cc or larger. With my aftermarket exhaust its pretty loud, but loud doesnt equate to power.

Maybe you should go and do a track day or go out and ride with some talented LWT racers....

The more I read your posts the more I realize you need a good humbling. The R3 is and can be fast in the right hands.

Look at Moto3 bikes and riders....48HP out of an NSF250 Honda. And they are only off MotoGP times by 8 or 9 seconds.

·
Registered
169 Posts
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Are you serious? Marc Marquez has been racing motorcycles since he was 4....4 years old. He has natural talent, yes, but in no way has Minimal training he has been riding for almost 20 years..and he is only 23....dude just stop.

My insurance on my R3, is cheap here in Ontario Canada....at 989$ a year. Yes that is CHEAP here. A 600 or 1000 would cost you from $2500-$5000 a year depending on the bike and experience.

And just Fyi wanting larger CC to help pull along a passenger...I have seen 10 people on a 10hp Honda Cub 90 being transported in India, or Vietnam...get off your high horse there bud.

Ill say it again...nobody NEEDS more than a 550cc motorcycle. People WANT them for whatever reason (comfort, racing classes, etc...) But don't kid yourself in thinking that anyone NEEDS more than 40-50HP for a streetbike.
Minimal training in professional MOTOGP! You remeber all his crashes and dangerous riding habits that pissed off the real trained motogp riders? In fact it was basically because of him that they introduced the point system in riding to punish player habits. And its funny you bring up 10 people being transported on a honda cub 90, Is that relevent? No. Where they going 65mph which is standard on highways? no the bike cant even go that fast. Was it safe? no. Do i look like i want to ride a cub 90 with 10 indians on it? NOOOO. Im not on a high horse? Technically speaking nobody NEEDS a bike in general. If yamaha made an R5 it would probably solve the whole beginner intro sport bike debate, but in the end people that have a higher performance drive/need do need more than 40-50hp on a bike.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Maybe you should go and do a track day or go out and ride with some talented LWT racers....

The more I read your posts the more I realize you need a good humbling. The R3 is and can be fast in the right hands.

Look at Moto3 bikes and riders....48HP out of an NSF250 Honda. And they are only off MotoGP times by 8 or 9 seconds.
You realize everything i said was regarding street riding/racing? God you guys freak out whenever somone says the R3 doesnt have enough power. I SAID STREET, NOT TRACK. two completely different things. Yep compare track R3 to out of box R3 your real good debater.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You realize everything i said was regarding street riding/racing? God you guys freak out whenever somone says the R3 doesnt have enough power. I SAID STREET, NOT TRACK. two completely different things. Yep compare track R3 to out of box R3 your real good debater.
But I lost a race against a corvette. Top speed is the bane of anything less than a 600 super sport.

I know what most people would be thinking here: "don't race on the street"

But our locals roads encourage street racing. We have one corner of the highway dubbed as "nascar corner." You should see my frustration that this bike can't take that corner at 125mph.

·
Registered
542 Posts

Yea I heard Canada is like rape city for insurance on bikes..no idea why though. But **** dude what!? 4k to 7k a year!? That’s impossible… That’s like half the price of the bike..Are you calling 1-800-open-my-hole insurance co? Check out Rider Insurance, that’s who I have for insurance and I have pretty good coverage. Its only available for people in the north eastern states. I haven’t checked the rates on an 600 sport, but it can’t jump up exponentially because even my low insurance cost is based on a super sport category.
Have had rider for 3 years now, but they wanted almost 1500 for my fz8 last year when it became reclassified as a super sport, even though it's value is just 3-4k. I dropped it down to liability since there was no point in paying half the bikes cost in insurance each year.

I didn't mind the 650 a year I was paying when it was considered a standard. They reclassified a ton of bikes to supersport rate last year. Fz8 and fz1, Ducati monsters, bunch of bmws, all because of "high losses in the category". Insurance is not always as cheap as you think it is.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
It means it has the appearence of being something very fast, but it is not. I often get people thinking i have a 600cc or larger. With my aftermarket exhaust its pretty loud, but loud doesnt equate to power.
I felt the same way when I had my CBR500R.
I thought it was a sheep in wolves clothing. It looked fast, but couldn't back it up.

If I wanted to race on the streets, I suppose this would have been a problem. But I didn't buy the motorcycle with the intentions of ever racing it. I bought it to have fun riding a motorcycle! Simple as that.

After awhile, I wanted more power, so I sold the CBR500R and bought a CBR1000RR.
Power problem FIXED!
I don't ever find myself "wanting more power".

SO... after owning the CBR1000RR for a few years... I decided I would like to go back to a smaller, more comfortable bike for city riding.
After months of research, I decided to get a little R3.
The R3 gives me a ride the CBR can't.
My CBR gives me a ride the R3 can't.
So I guess you could say... I have the best of both worlds now, but it took TWO bikes to make it happen.

There is no "perfect" bike. They all do different things. Some are fast, some are slow. Some are sexy, some look dorky. Some are comfortable, some wad you up like a pretzel.

IT'S DAT MOTO LYFE YO! :laugh:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
:|

Oh I see.... you are one of THOSE guys.
:laugh:
You are kidding yourself if you dont think that is true.

I stated before, people move around bikes based on what they want. Some people want a 200hp RSV4RF because then they can brag at starbucks, others want big and comfy others want more roll on.

But a 1992 EX500 does 200kmh....my R3 does 200kmh....small and still capable of blowing away your licence and the speed limit.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
You are talking about performance....yes? Where is the best place to make your motorcycle PERFORM? The Track.

You stated in a previous comment that you have "touched the limits of this bike (the R3)"

No you havent...you have twisted the throttle as far as it can go, and banged it through the gears. But you have NOT touched the limits...I would go ahead and wager you havent even touched 1/4 of the R3s limits.

You cant push a motorcycle to its limits unless you are on a closed course, anyone who thinks otherwise has never been to a race track.

You want to talk streetbikes, and STREET performance. A VFR800 is MILES ahead of everything when it comes to "king of the street" when it comes to power (roll on), brakes, comfort, tour-ability, pillon carrying, and gas mileage.

But its not a Sportbike...Sportbikes are desgined for the race track. The average rider who owns one will NEVER push a STOCK sportbike to its limits on the street, and most will never push a STOCK sportbike to its limits on the track either.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If the forum has a prize for the most entertaining thread this one takes it hands down!

I've had a fast bike years ago (an 1985 Yamaha FZ-750 reputed to be one of the first production sport bikes with excess of 100 hp) and realized it was more fun, for me, to be in the right gear or to get into the right gear, than to just be able to roll on the throttle in any gear and obtain a ridiculous fast closing rate to the car in front of me.

·
Registered
169 Posts
You are talking about performance....yes? Where is the best place to make your motorcycle PERFORM? The Track.

You stated in a previous comment that you have "touched the limits of this bike (the R3)"

No you havent...you have twisted the throttle as far as it can go, and banged it through the gears. But you have NOT touched the limits...I would go ahead and wager you havent even touched 1/4 of the R3s limits.

You cant push a motorcycle to its limits unless you are on a closed course, anyone who thinks otherwise has never been to a race track.

You want to talk streetbikes, and STREET performance. A VFR800 is MILES ahead of everything when it comes to "king of the street" when it comes to power (roll on), brakes, comfort, tour-ability, pillon carrying, and gas mileage.

But its not a Sportbike...Sportbikes are desgined for the race track. The average rider who owns one will NEVER push a STOCK sportbike to its limits on the street, and most will never push a STOCK sportbike to its limits on the track either.
Sorry for the delayed responses, i was out riding with my dad trying to keep up with him on his 1200cc ducati. If your wondering if i ever caught up with him, yes i did. When he slowed down for a slow speed corner or a stop sign. But after that he cracked the throttle and poof hes gone and im stuck trailing behind screaming my engine to keep up when hes shifting at 6-8k rpm. Im done with this thread because at the end of the day it doesnt prove ****. Please tell me, what exactly is the R3 limit? Is it the ability to do a high speed cornering? Is it the ability to reach max mph? Completely sideways on a track? 1/4 of a mile wheelie? The more and more i respond on this topic it proves to me that this hypothetical "limit" is virtually impossible to define or prove, so you know what? I have not reached the limit on my R3. I have however reached my wow factor on the bike. Its not a challenge for me anymore. I'm not scared to push the bike further and further because im comfortable with it. It doesnt test me much in my daily commute, now if i tracked the bike that would be different. But for my average daily commuting and weekend riding with friends( by the way i ride with 600's and up i have the smallest bike) im now ready to start practicing on a 600 super sport. I will keep this bike for atleast another year before i ditch it, get better with the extra time by nature and then i will most likely join the suzuki gsxr600 forum or the honda repsol 600 forum and you wont have to listen to "high horse" me claiming i reached the limit. Goodluck out in the streets mate, i rate this thread 8/8!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I felt the same way when I had my CBR500R.
I thought it was a sheep in wolves clothing. It looked fast, but couldn't back it up.

If I wanted to race on the streets, I suppose this would have been a problem. But I didn't buy the motorcycle with the intentions of ever racing it. I bought it to have fun riding a motorcycle! Simple as that.

After awhile, I wanted more power, so I sold the CBR500R and bought a CBR1000RR.
Power problem FIXED!
I don't ever find myself "wanting more power".

SO... after owning the CBR1000RR for a few years... I decided I would like to go back to a smaller, more comfortable bike for city riding.
After months of research, I decided to get a little R3.
The R3 gives me a ride the CBR can't.
My CBR gives me a ride the R3 can't.
So I guess you could say... I have the best of both worlds now, but it took TWO bikes to make it happen.

There is no "perfect" bike. They all do different things. Some are fast, some are slow. Some are sexy, some look dorky. Some are comfortable, some wad you up like a pretzel.

IT'S DAT MOTO LYFE YO! :laugh:
You hit the nail on the head mate. i rate you 8/8! I bought the R3 because it was my first real street bike and i wanted to properly get into the moto game learning from the smaller to the larger CC bikes. I have alot of respect for anyone that rides and the whole culture. I was inspired by tier licensing and the european style of biker community. Instead of just jumping into a 600. I learned alot of things from this bike, and honestly i have NO RAGRETS. Almost got that tattooed on my chest after getting the bike. I digress, your fortunate to have the best of both worlds. The top and low end of the riding scene. Personally i think a 600 is my calling, its quite perfect for me in every aspect and ive been to dealership manyt times and researched it many many MANY nights. I also want something to grow into and not be dissatisified with the lack of power or mph range. I also love all the expensive compenents you find on 600 super sports. Maybe ill consider a liter bike, that bmw s1000rr makes me wet myself everytime i hear it roar

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Personally i think a 600 is my calling, its quite perfect for me in every aspect and ive been to dealership many times and researched it many many MANY nights. I also want something to grow into and not be dissatisified with the lack of power or mph range. I also love all the expensive compenents you find on 600 super sports.
If you are going to go with a Suzuki... at least do the GSXR750.
You would also probably like the Triumph Daytona 675R.

The only way to know for sure.... is to TEST RIDE.
So if you can, try and test-ride all the bikes you are thinking about buying.
It may not help you pick the winner, but it will help you to decide which bikes you DON'T want.

Nothing wrong with wanting to move up from the R3.
The 300-class bikes are what they are. Some people love them, some people think they are "toys".
I like my R3 because it is different than my CBR.
Plus, I love the way it looks! ;)

61 - 80 of 120 Posts