Yamaha R3 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Maybe ill consider a liter bike, that bmw s1000rr makes me wet myself everytime i hear it roar
The new s1000rr is a top-level bike. It demands respect at all times.
BMW dealers can usually arrange a test-ride, for qualified buyers who are seriously interested in buying.

DO NOT test-ride the s1000rr unless you are 100% prepared to BUY it.
Because if you DO test-ride it.... you will most likely have to take it home.

Watch THIS video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azjDQ3FTxlQ

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you are going to go with a Suzuki... at least do the GSXR750.
You would also probably like the Triumph Daytona 675R.

The only way to know for sure.... is to TEST RIDE.
So if you can, try and test-ride all the bikes you are thinking about buying.
It may not help you pick the winner, but it will help you to decide which bikes you DON'T want.

Nothing wrong with wanting to move up from the R3.
The 300-class bikes are what they are. Some people love them, some people think they are "toys".
I like my R3 because it is different than my CBR.
Plus, I love the way it looks! ;)
Wow i just watched some videos of that daytona 675...What an interesting bike. The sound is surprisingly trippy and almost like its distorting the space continuum . Im defiantly considering that bike, my friend has an mv agusta 675 triple and that would be really cool to have both of them riding together. His dads actually got the f4 sena edition mv agusta..That is just a rabid sounding beast. Anyway i always respect the bike, because in the end its just a machine. And the machine doesnt care about you. But idk if i really like the personality of the 750 tbh and personality in a bike is one of my favorite things. Seriously thanks for the daytona suggestion i gotta sit on one.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Off topic slightly, but what is the speed limit in the US? Over here in NZ the maximum speed limit is 62 mph and it is vigorously policed. You will instantly lose your license if you're caught doing more than 80 mph.

For me, the R3 can reach the legal limit fairly rapidly in third gear and there is still plenty of performance left for overtaking vehicles in the non-license losing speed range.

I do understand wanting to move up to a bigger bike though. It is a natural progression. I've been there and done that myself. At the end of the day I needed to try a range of bikes to fully compare and appreciate the qualities of each machine and truly understand what bike was best for me and my riding style.
I like small, flickable bikes where I can work the engine and run through the gears legally. Other people have different needs and requirements.

Choose the bike that suits you, ride it and enjoy. If you are happy with what you're doing then at the end of the day that is what matters (as long as what you do doesn't piss other road users off).

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
313 Posts
Wow i just watched some videos of that daytona 675...What an interesting bike. The sound is surprisingly trippy and almost like its distorting the space continuum . Im defiantly considering that bike, my friend has an mv agusta 675 triple and that would be really cool to have both of them riding together. His dads actually got the f4 sena edition mv agusta..That is just a rabid sounding beast. Anyway i always respect the bike, because in the end its just a machine. And the machine doesnt care about you. But idk if i really like the personality of the 750 tbh and personality in a bike is one of my favorite things. Seriously thanks for the daytona suggestion i gotta sit on one.
Get an r1 be happy with it, and maybe in 1 year you can reflect and decide

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
Off topic slightly, but what is the speed limit in the US? Over here in NZ the maximum speed limit is 62 mph and it is vigorously policed. You will instantly lose your license if you're caught doing more than 80 mph.
It varies by state. In California, we have mostly 65 with some 70 here and there. Often you see traffic going 70-75 in the 65, and 75-80 in the 70 zone. (This is why 250cc is a bit uncomfortable on CA freeway.) The cops seems at least someone lenient, and tend to nab the real speeders. Several times I've seen cops pull into fast moving traffic and weave with their brakes and slow everyone down at once. Speeding by +15 mph makes a ticket much more expensive / possible 2 points on record / can't take driving school to remove a point. 90-100+ can be serious legal/insurance troubles if the cop insists on writing it up.

I heard somewhere (Utah?) in the salt flat stretches, the limit is 80-90 mph?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Hey, it's just my opinion. I don't like 600's. They are a waste of money, as far as I am concerned.
They cost almost as much as a literbike, and you get LESS bike. Some people like a super high-reving engine. Some people like the lighter weight of the 600. Some people don't mind the uncomfortable riding position. Some people don't mind having to slip the clutch like crazy on take-off, because a 600 literally has NO power down low in the rev range.

Fine with me. Lots of people love 600's. Like you said, lots of them out there running around on the streets everyday. Good for them.

Not good for me. If i'm going to spend that amount of money on a sportbike, i'm going literbike everytime. I like the massive torque pull of the larger engine. I like having power across the entire RPM range.

Having said that many times... as we all know, I also have an R3.
WHY would I get an R3 if my CBR is so perfect? As I have also said many times: my CBR is overkill for city riding. The little R3 is better suited for bombing around in traffic at city speeds. Simple as that.

Don't take it personally. I'm not attacking YOU. I just don't like 600 sportbikes! I also don't like Harley's either... but that's a story for another time!
:laugh:
If you would have just said that you don't like them then I would be cool with that. But you said they don't belong anywhere except for racing because the liter bikes outclass them for almost the same amount of money. Maybe for you a few thousand is not much but for some people it is. Maybe for you insurance rates won't change much but for others it will. Beyond those two points, and using your logic, there would be no place for the R3 that you own, since a 600 would outclass it. Comfort? Go buy some $200 riser bars and some $90 pegs ( not rear sets, adjustable pegs) and you would have a pretty upright 600. You say the 600: literally make no lower below 4000? How do people ride them out of their garage? Even further, if a 600 isn't making any power at that low of an rpm, what is the R3 doing at that low of an rpm? Again, if you just dislike the 600 class then that's cool. But please at least proof read your post and take out the false statements and contradicting logic.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
If the forum has a prize for the most entertaining thread this one takes it hands down!

I've had a fast bike years ago (an 1985 Yamaha FZ-750 reputed to be one of the first production sport bikes with excess of 100 hp) and realized it was more fun, for me, to be in the right gear or to get into the right gear, than to just be able to roll on the throttle in any gear and obtain a ridiculous fast closing rate to the car in front of me.
I feel like it needs an off topic of "show us your chicken strips" now. Or at least " let's see them knee drag pics".

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Sorry for the delayed responses, i was out riding with my dad trying to keep up with him on his 1200cc ducati. If your wondering if i ever caught up with him, yes i did. When he slowed down for a slow speed corner or a stop sign. But after that he cracked the throttle and poof hes gone and im stuck trailing behind screaming my engine to keep up when hes shifting at 6-8k rpm. Im done with this thread because at the end of the day it doesnt prove ****. Please tell me, what exactly is the R3 limit? Is it the ability to do a high speed cornering? Is it the ability to reach max mph? Completely sideways on a track? 1/4 of a mile wheelie? The more and more i respond on this topic it proves to me that this hypothetical "limit" is virtually impossible to define or prove, so you know what? I have not reached the limit on my R3. I have however reached my wow factor on the bike. Its not a challenge for me anymore. I'm not scared to push the bike further and further because im comfortable with it. It doesnt test me much in my daily commute, now if i tracked the bike that would be different. But for my average daily commuting and weekend riding with friends( by the way i ride with 600's and up i have the smallest bike) im now ready to start practicing on a 600 super sport. I will keep this bike for atleast another year before i ditch it, get better with the extra time by nature and then i will most likely join the suzuki gsxr600 forum or the honda repsol 600 forum and you wont have to listen to "high horse" me claiming i reached the limit. Goodluck out in the streets mate, i rate this thread 8/8!
How far over in degrees are you leaning your bike? Assuming proper body position, there is a limit on how far you can get the bike leaned. People still lean their bikes on the streets. There are canyon roads you can do that at.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Dude,

Everything you have stated in this thread shows how inexperienced you are.

I am 6'1, and 245lbs...and I ride an R3 and a Bandit 400 racebike. I can probably ride faster than 90% of the people on this forum.

Just say it. You want a bigger bike because you want more "roll on power". Its ok, lots of people do. I guess you all forgot how to use a gear box.

If you want to take motorcycling and stunting serious....learn to ride. invest in schools, and proper suspension and brake components. Power is the LAST thing you should worry about.
How is it racing a naked 400? There are soooo many 400 cc bikes available here and some of the nakeds look like fun. A bunch of cb400s. Vfr and RVF 400s. A few others I don't know. Even seen a few balius's which sound amazing. I can't pick a bike lol. There's so many I want to try.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
How is it racing a naked 400? There are soooo many 400 cc bikes available here and some of the nakeds look like fun. A bunch of cb400s. Vfr and RVF 400s. A few others I don't know. Even seen a few balius's which sound amazing. I can't pick a bike lol. There's so many I want to try.
Its a fun time.

I race in LWT production (R3s, RC390s, CBR300s, EX500s, GS500s, FZR400s, Bandit 400s, etc...)

The smaller modern bikes with fuel injection and ABS and better stock suspension may lose out on the straights but make up a lot on the corners.

Its just all about bragging rights when it comes to Proddy racing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWo6pEEtAQc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2XRrKuaHmo

·
Registered
143 Posts
I live about 900 feet from the 130 toll road the speed limit is 85mph I think it's a tie for the fastest road in the US. the normal I 35 freeway speed limit is 75mph

·
Registered
169 Posts
How far over in degrees are you leaning your bike? Assuming proper body position, there is a limit on how far you can get the bike leaned. People still lean their bikes on the streets. There are canyon roads you can do that at.
I dont know the exact degress, lemme just whip my protractor out while riding. Get a ticket for protracting while driving, and then my insurance goes up. (little humor) Anyway the only way for me to tell really is that i have wear grooves less than half an inch from the edge of the bias plys stock tires anymore leaned past the edge will lose traction. Does that tell you anything? I dont trust my bike enough on its stock everything to knee drag, but i do hand scrapes sometimes. I'm more interested in wheeling then knee sliding tbh. But i get low/sideways enough for my own enjoyment.

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
Thanks. I see what you mean about 250s being a bit uncomfortable. My CBR250R would have been pretty much maxed out at that speed.
Yeah my Ninja 250 was screaming to keep up, even after valve adjustment and carb maintenance, etc. 6th gear could barely hold speed at 75-80, 5th was better but the engine was wound up something fierce. R3 is crazy better on the freeway, I simply can't convey how surprised and pleased I am, I really didn't expect it to be totally freeway competent. I still haven't tried a Ninja 300 on the freeway, but they were giving me the vibe that it wasn't that great, but looking at dyno charts and gearing, it has to be similar to the R3. 2-3 hp down and a slightly longer 6th gear might hurt the N300 worse than expected though at freeway speeds.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've ridden the R3 on highway many times now and I have to admit the higher end speed and roll on power is lacking. I would say the 'best' sweet spot for the R3 is around 50-70 mph. Anything over 80 and you can feel the 321 cc struggling.
Of course with that being said 99% of the time I don't ever go over 75 or 80 mph but that 5% sux when on oacasion I travel past that speed LOL
I also don't feel too comfortable leaning too much especially on the clover leaf. I feel like the stock tire will slide out under me!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I dont know the exact degress, lemme just whip my protractor out while riding. Get a ticket for protracting while driving, and then my insurance goes up. (little humor) Anyway the only way for me to tell really is that i have wear grooves less than half an inch from the edge of the bias plys stock tires anymore leaned past the edge will lose traction. Does that tell you anything? I dont trust my bike enough on its stock everything to knee drag, but i do hand scrapes sometimes. I'm more interested in wheeling then knee sliding tbh. But i get low/sideways enough for my own enjoyment.
They got apps the days that are free and can track your lean angle, speed, etc. You could also get a pretty good guesstimate if someone riding behind you were taking a video. We ride bikes, we don't "drive" them. You can ride past the edge of a tire and stil maintain traction. I have taken my oem tires within 2mm of the edge (at the rear tire) going at legal speeds practicing around a motorcycle specific practice lot. I have dragged my knee on the stock bike. Including tires. I'm sure you have plenty more lean angle to go before the limit. If you are afraid to go further, that's cool, just know there is plenty left. You can ro a hand scrape and still barely lean the bike. People stunt and wheelie WR250x's all day. If you want a fun wheelie machine, there are more options than a 600. I don't care for stunting but actually almost bought a stunt modded WR250x. It looked like tons of fun and was really light. Protracting may indeed increase your insurance. Wheelies, if caught, probably would too since it's considered reckless in some states. May even lose license and have the bike impounded. Still plenty of places to do it without getting caught.

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
I've ridden the R3 on highway many times now and I have to admit the higher end speed and roll on power is lacking. I would say the 'best' sweet spot for the R3 is around 50-70 mph. Anything over 80 and you can feel the 321 cc struggling.
Of course with that being said 99% of the time I don't ever go over 75 or 80 mph but that 5% sux when on oacasion I travel past that speed LOL
I also don't feel too comfortable leaning too much especially on the clover leaf. I feel like the stock tire will slide out under me!
When I left the dealer with zero miles on the odo, I filled up with premium, and I felt like the bike struggled in the low 80s on the trip home, like another rider reported. But after 1000 miles plus slip-on and switching to regular gas, I have no problems rolling right up to 95. I don't know if it's gas or slip-on related, break-in related, or I'm just twisting the throttle more. But normally I keep it under 80 anyway, so it all works out. :cool:

·
Registered
169 Posts
They got apps the days that are free and can track your lean angle, speed, etc. You could also get a pretty good guesstimate if someone riding behind you were taking a video. We ride bikes, we don't "drive" them. You can ride past the edge of a tire and stil maintain traction. I have taken my oem tires within 2mm of the edge (at the rear tire) going at legal speeds practicing around a motorcycle specific practice lot. I have dragged my knee on the stock bike. Including tires. I'm sure you have plenty more lean angle to go before the limit. If you are afraid to go further, that's cool, just know there is plenty left. You can ro a hand scrape and still barely lean the bike. People stunt and wheelie WR250x's all day. If you want a fun wheelie machine, there are more options than a 600. I don't care for stunting but actually almost bought a stunt modded WR250x. It looked like tons of fun and was really light. Protracting may indeed increase your insurance. Wheelies, if caught, probably would too since it's considered reckless in some states. May even lose license and have the bike impounded. Still plenty of places to do it without getting caught.
Really? Ill have to checkout the app haha thats actually pretty cool. Yea not really interested in a 250 unless its a dirtbike then i would streel legalize it. We also have alot of great woods where i live to go riding in. Its toss up with the stunting but in the end its just having fun. Cops really only care when your going well above the speed limit or weeving all around traffic.

When I left the dealer with zero miles on the odo, I filled up with premium, and I felt like the bike struggled in the low 80s on the trip home, like another rider reported. But after 1000 miles plus slip-on and switching to regular gas, I have no problems rolling right up to 95. I don't know if it's gas or slip-on related, break-in related, or I'm just twisting the throttle more. But normally I keep it under 80 anyway, so it all works out. :cool:
Well duhh haha, you got the bike brand new it needed a spanking! Also you filled it with rich gas which would probly be better if u just started regular for the rirst full tank. anyway the engine is not fully broken in until its really raced to its fullest. Basically engines wind up to a certain rpm and if you maximize the red line, the speedo will go beyond the begining of the red rpm meter but not to the end, this maxes out the engine power base. It basically tunes the engine. Thats why bikes get dyno tuned, because alot of liter bikes on the road even 600's arnt technically fully broken in yet because they havent reached the bikes max speed in all the gears to the red line, they werent broken in hard or just gently ridden. Really only takes a professioanl 10 minutes to break in a bike if its not already, road permitting. Anyway This maximizes the power of the engine and ensures full functionality. Thats why you notice the difference in power 1k miles later.

81 - 100 of 120 Posts