Yamaha R3 Forums banner

101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Its odd that there is some of the USA and Australia's fastest small bike racers on this forum who race at the pointy end of the field.

Yet new riders think they exceed these limits?

My suggestion, get your big boy 600 or 1000, or take the R3, ANY bike.
do some track days, and learn to actually ride a bike with some proficiency.
check your lap times,
Try not to get too embarrassed when you find out what the 250/300 records are.

·
Registered
68 Posts
anyway the engine is not fully broken in until its really raced to its fullest. Basically engines wind up to a certain rpm and if you maximize the red line, the speedo will go beyond the begining of the red rpm meter but not to the end, this maxes out the engine power base. It basically tunes the engine. Thats why bikes get dyno tuned, because alot of liter bikes on the road even 600's arnt technically fully broken in yet because they havent reached the bikes max speed in all the gears to the red line, they werent broken in hard or just gently ridden.
The break-in of an engine is all about refining the fit, getting the piston rings sealing to the cylinder. When parts for the engine are made they have machining tolerances. Depending how the tolerances are when the engine is put together parts may have a slight interference fit. Breaking the bike in allows these parts to shave off the tiny amounts where they touch, making a correct fit. The fit of these parts doesn't change once everything is up to temperature from tick-over to redline...they just fit. That's why you'll likely find small parts of metal in the oil at first oil change, and maybe again at other early oil changes. People do hard or soft break-ins and it makes no difference to the longevity of the engine because these days machining technology and accuracy is far superior to the bikes made years ago.

Bikes get dyno tuned to extract the best performance from the bike by giving it the best fuelling throughout the entire rev range. It has nothing to do with breaking the bike in.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Its odd that there is some of the USA and Australia's fastest small bike racers on this forum who race at the pointy end of the field.

check your lap times,
And Canada's* lol

Only once on a race track do you realize what a motorcycle can truly do in the right hands.

For Fun here, a bunch of us smaller bike riders 250-400cc enter into Open Sport (aka Animal Open) some of the craziest build, and bikes from 600-1150cc...we do pretty well at hasseling the mid pack on our "little" bikes. >:D

·
Registered
169 Posts

check your lap times,
I dont really want to do track though, i love motogp and watching races to learn from but not enough to really do it myself. At some point ill ride track, maybe go with a friend or something but really all i care about is street riding for myself because thats where i drive. As a daily motorcycle commuter i want to be best in streets because thats where skills are necessary to avoid all dangers of the road and to not die (most important). I doubt i would be embarrassed because i dont do this as a career, only for sport, enjoyment, hobby . My moral wouldnt be ruined by somone lapping me. Track and street riding have different techniques and skill caps. I know im a good driver , but i also know theres alot more room to grow. And thats where my want for more power is >:D

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I dont really want to do track though, i love motogp and watching races to learn from but not enough to really do it myself. At some point ill ride track, maybe go with a friend or something but really all i care about is street riding for myself because thats where i drive. As a daily motorcycle commuter i want to be best in streets because thats where skills are necessary to avoid all dangers of the road and to not die (most important). I doubt i would be embarrassed because i dont do this as a career, only for sport, enjoyment, hobby . My moral wouldnt be ruined by somone lapping me. Track and street riding have different techniques and skill caps. I know im a good driver , but i also know theres alot more room to grow. And thats where my want for more power is >:D
FFS it's riding, not driving. Being best on the streets would be similar to the track don't you think? Track riding directly translates to the street. The better you ride on the track, the more you know your bike, the better off you would be on the street. Don't see why you think track and street riding have different techniques, only thing different I see is that on the track you use more of your skills and techniques than on the street. More power doesn't teach you to really look through a corner, doesn't teach you to not target fixate, to not pick up brakes, and all the other skills that track riding sharpens faster than street riding. Don't get me wrong, I love the street but if you truly want to ride a motorcycle and learn faster than doing so on the street, the track is the way to go.

·
Registered
169 Posts
FFS it's riding, not driving. Being best on the streets would be similar to the track don't you think? Track riding directly translates to the street. The better you ride on the track, the more you know your bike, the better off you would be on the street. Don't see why you think track and street riding have different techniques, only thing different I see is that on the track you use more of your skills and techniques than on the street. More power doesn't teach you to really look through a corner, doesn't teach you to not target fixate, to not pick up brakes, and all the other skills that track riding sharpens faster than street riding. Don't get me wrong, I love the street but if you truly want to ride a motorcycle and learn faster than doing so on the street, the track is the way to go.
Okay okay lol ill use riding for now on..Track riding offers a controlled environment with perfect road formation and function. A safety zone for people to test/practice skills. You can crash and get away with injuries sustaining to the fall and little to no other variables. Street riding is far different in riding technique because of the obvious reasons. You need to watch out not only for the road and other drivers but nearly anything. Whats to stop a tree from being in the road, or an animal, or a huge pot hole etc. You can apply certain principles of track riding to street as we all do, however its in a way which is modified for street driving due to unforeseen variables. To truly ride a motorcycle and learn faster than on street is not an answer track riding can solve 100%. Yes you can make yourself more accurate and overall drive better performance wise with the knowledge of riding that specific bike, but your comparing a closed course to street which will never compare. Comparing track build to stock build. Personally I would rather be better at street riding anyday then track, because i commute/hobby/sport ride on only streets. Safe riding guys, we lost another rider the week or two ago on rt 21 in nj..I wish the best for all of you..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Dude, you shouldn't be riding at more than 5/10ths on the street anyhow.

Track riding lets you get to 10/10.

I can't understand how you feel riding 10/10 on the street is something we should all be seeking out and applauding you for wanting to do.

If you're worried about debris in the road, then go ride a dirt bike off road to get more comfortable with debris. The street really isn't the place to ride hard, ever.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Dude, you shouldn't be riding at more than 5/10ths on the street anyhow.

Track riding lets you get to 10/10.

I can't understand how you feel riding 10/10 on the street is something we should all be seeking out and applauding you for wanting to do.

If you're worried about debris in the road, then go ride a dirt bike off road to get more comfortable with debris. The street really isn't the place to ride hard, ever.
Not really sure what the whole 10/10 things means, but if you read closely youll see i was having a discussion with some people specifically saying what MY needs are not what OTHERS should be doing when they told me i should be track riding. Who the **** would applaud me for riding street with a 300cc bike? Let alone why would i want someone to congratulate me on it? ALL it takes to ride a motorcycle is money and willpower. I brought up debris in the road to show the difference between track and street driving. Ive been riding dirtbikes/snowmobiles/atv's for about 15-20 years, pretty comfortable with debris in the woods (450 suzuki rmz/ polaris 800/ bombardier 500) thanks though. Street is a place where you can ride hard (especially a 300), just gotta be careful, know the roads, know what your doing, and prepare for unforeseen events. Next time your going to jump up in a topic and accuse me of saying things i didn't say or infer to try and bash me, please read the posts/conversation closely.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You've definitely stated that you wanted to follow in the footsteps of the "MotoGP greats" by advancing up from a 300, to a 600, to 1000.

You've said above that you

To truly ride a motorcycle and learn faster than on street is not an answer track riding can solve 100%. Yes you can make yourself more accurate and overall drive better performance wise with the knowledge of riding that specific bike, but your comparing a closed course to street which will never compare. Comparing track build to stock build. Personally I would rather be better at street riding anyday then track, because i commute/hobby/sport ride on only streets.
Perhaps you need reading comprehension if you can't link what I type to what you had just stated.

Fine, I'll bow out of this because you've convinced yourself that you want to live and ride a certain way that I disagree with.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So very different animals. But I still love this little bike.
I mean how many times does it make you laugh or smile when you toss it around something..

Me personally I never will have a reason for a liter bike on the streets, 600's would be the biggest i would go (part it will get me in way to much trouble, part to much for the becoming more and more overly congested streets in the US). Saying that if Yamaha ever did go with the 395 / 400cc range with the R3 flare i would be on that like white on rice :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
You've definitely stated that you wanted to follow in the footsteps of the "MotoGP greats" by advancing up from a 300, to a 600, to 1000.

You've said above that you

Perhaps you need reading comprehension if you can't link what I type to what you had just stated.

Fine, I'll bow out of this because you've convinced yourself that you want to live and ride a certain way that I disagree with.
Yes, european tier style licensing. Meaning you go from 300 to 600 to 1000 by law. You cant just jump into a 600 or 1k. Follow in the steps that they went from CC to higher CC not to track like them..What i said and what you said were two completely different things. I said you cant be 10/10 on track and that translate directly to street riding. Also that I personally like street riding more than track because of my own personal reasons. Honing skills on track is different then honing your skills in the "wild" (streets of america). You didnt prove me wrong on anything, you just stated some things i mentioned and poorly executed its linking. Then you said im looking for recognition? LOL stay safe on the streets bro.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Why can't people pull their horsepower loving heads out of their asses?

Firstly Ill state that I love my R3, its my third favorite of all the motorcycles I have owned.

But its sad to say that entry bikes from the 80s and early 90s would absolutely eat them for breakfast on a race track.

The R3 and KTM RC390 are at the top of the entry level sportbike pack these days. Everyone loves them because they are quick, nimble and fun.

Which they are....

But my 1990 Bandit 400 easily eats up an R3 or RC with no issues. FZR400s and RVF400s would spank them with ease!

Does North America NEED a graduated licencing law for motorcycles like they have in Japan and most of Europe....If it means with get sweet little supersports then **** yea!

It just annoys me to always hear "well ill learn on this and move up to a 600" Frankly, I dont want to spend the money on that sort of insurance, same goes for an SV or FZ07 (I have had plenty of big bikes, and cant justify the cost per cc to run them on the street)

A modern GSXR400 or R3 with a 321cc triple would have been slick!

Rant over/
At this point, it's all personal preference. If they can't acknowledge preference then all you can do is just keep doing your thing and if you love the R3 stick to it! I think most of those people haven't experienced a small engine bike, or are so used to 600s+ that when they ride a 300 it's comparatively a slug. Just do you!

·
Registered
2020 R3, 2022 Trident 660
88 Posts
I have had my R3 for 2 months. And I bought a 660cc naked bike 3 weeks ago. Since then R3 has been losing seat time more and more. After having the taste of more torque, I keep wanting more and more.
I hope R7 will offer something between MT07 and R6. That would be amazing.

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
I have had my R3 for 2 months. And I bought a 660cc naked bike 3 weeks ago. Since then R3 has been losing seat time more and more. After having the taste of more torque, I keep wanting more and more.
I hope R7 will offer something between MT07 and R6. That would be amazing.
650-660 is a nice engine size for the road. You can twist the throttle and it's quick but not crazy. Buying 2 bikes in 2 months, RAMPAGE MODE.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I just read this whole thread (all six pages).... WOW, do people have opinions. I have owned liter-bikes, 600's, and currently have a very highly modified FZ-07 for the track, and an R3 for the street. I love my FZ-07 more than any other bike I've owned. I wanted to buy a second one for the street. But... I know myself well enough, to realize that I wouldn't be happy with a "stock" suspension on a new MT-07. Eventually, I would keep throwing money at it until I had a "street-legal" 07, to match my track 07. Then, Yamaha was rumored to be releasing the MT-03. This seemed like it would be the perfect street bike (for me). I was so excited to buy one!!! Until I saw a picture of it...... That was a deal breaker for me. That styling does nothing for me (except make me not want to buy one)-

I ended up buying a new "carry-over" 2019 R3 in 2020. I've made a lot of changes to the ergonomics to make it more comfortable. I added adjustable clip-on "risers", and some very mild rear set adapter plates. The riding position is now almost identical to my FZ-07. I upgraded the R3 suspension- front & rear, braided brake lines, and added better tires. I recently added a full Akrapovic Ti exhaust, opened up the airbox, and had the ECU flashed accordingly. I didn't go "all-in" on the suspension- (the total was less than $800). What I ended up with is a pretty modified R3, that rides/handles better than any stock MT-07, for about the same total investment as a new MT-07. I'm very happy with my choice, and have zero regrets. I'm not saying my choice is right for everyone. Just sharing my experience-

·
Registered
221 Posts
I remember this thread. We certainly had a few posters with strong opinions back in those days.

I remember biting my virtual tongue a few times, as it was clear that one highly opinionated poster was obviously a complete beginner and had no idea what they were talking about.

I wonder whatever happened to those guys. It's a lot quieter here without them. That's for sure!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,154 Posts
I remember this thread. We certainly had a few posters with strong opinions back in those days.

I remember biting my virtual tongue a few times, as it was clear that one highly opinionated poster was obviously a complete beginner and had no idea what they were talking about.

I wonder whatever happened to those guys. It's a lot quieter here without them. That's for sure!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Not too loud there Paulie.online.. They seem to be before my time, so I don't miss what I don't remember. Let's just let them sleep. ;)

101 - 120 of 120 Posts