Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I've heard people going to 150 and maybe 160 on stock rim? Why though? What makes you feel you need more tire? Just looks?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I think some of the fastest track guys here run a 150 - they need more tire because they're scrubbing the edges on the 140's IIRC. Unless you're rossi I doubt you need more tire other than looks :) - Although I'm debating 150/60 myself because the S21's and their dual compound seem to be a nice fit for commuting & twisty roads that's hard to get in single compounds.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Well this sucks just talked to the Bridgestone north america rep who stated they don't import the S21 150/60's and 110/70's into the US... Sad day.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
i'm running 120 front and 165 rears...they fit fine
Out of boredom the other day, I took my old 650 rim that still has an old 120 Q3 tire on it and stuck it next to the 110 R3 rim. It looked unusual and out of place. I've never personally tried it, but did this not affect handling too much? Also is the 120 not significantly heavier than the 110? Same for the 165? I know I read that the 165 rear is actually a good tire for you racers, but was hoping to hear a few more reviews. I'm fine with the 110 front tire to be honest, I just absolutely hate mounting that S20 110 front onto the R3 rim lol. Maybe I'll get bored and mount the 120 Q3 onto my R3 rim for shits and giggles.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Is the front wheel on these bikes not a 3.5" rim? Is it something less?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Out of boredom the other day, I took my old 650 rim that still has an old 120 Q3 tire on it and stuck it next to the 110 R3 rim. It looked unusual and out of place. I've never personally tried it, but did this not affect handling too much? Also is the 120 not significantly heavier than the 110? Same for the 165? I know I read that the 165 rear is actually a good tire for you racers, but was hoping to hear a few more reviews. I'm fine with the 110 front tire to be honest, I just absolutely hate mounting that S20 110 front onto the R3 rim lol. Maybe I'll get bored and mount the 120 Q3 onto my R3 rim for shits and giggles.
the bigger tires are pinched on the wheel. Combined with recommended lower pressure of 24psi off warmers, it gives a huge contact patch. Front 120 is 7mm taller, so geometry needs to be changed, 3mm lower in front, 1mm taller in rear. Once I softened up bike a bit, handling was just fine

1 - 10 of 10 Posts