Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a 2016 matte gray r3 (1 of the first 20 released in the U.S.). should be here wednesday, super pumped. now, my problem becomes the fiance wants to get into riding. here are her preferences:
she wants a sport bike, no cruisers or dual sports
she doesnt need anything over a 300 (maybe an older 500? needs to be small its her first time riding anything)
she doesnt want to spend more than 5k on it (new or used)
color doesnt really matter much but she likes black
problems: shes 5'2 and has short legs.... so something with a low seat height. im trying to push her towards a cbr300 but is there something i should be considering also or what? thanks for the help i know its not really an r3 question. oh and it will mostly be just in town riding maybe a highway here and there

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think your dealer is BS'ng you about your bike being one of the 1st 20 released. My local dealer (which is part of a chain of 4 in the same area) had 3 matte gray's a couple weeks ago that have since been sold when I was there last Thursday. I find it hard to believe that this one dealer for 3 of the first 20 since you're still waiting on yours.

As for your actual question, the CBR300R sounds like it checks all the boxes. Also, even though they're close in weight, the CBR300R felt a lot lighter when I was on it. Not sure if the center of gravity is lower or what, but overtime I sat on it, it felt noticeably lighter then the R3.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
His & Hers R3's.
The matte gray one for you... and a 2015 black one for her!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
now that someone else actually says it i dont believe it either.... as for cbr i dont know if she can handle the throttle response at 9k... unless its not that noticeable in which case im about to piss 5 grand down my leg for nothing.? but she whiskey-throttled a moped. she wants to learn on mine first and i was like probably no.. like never. she needs her own to lay over a few times but if shes gonna do that i dont want her spending money on a new one..

·
Registered
223 Posts
You probably can find used raven R3s for 4k or under.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm 5'2 and while the seat height is the same for the R3 & the CBR300, I found it easier to sit on the R3, possibly because the seat is narrower in the front. You can get an optional lower seat for the CBR however. Although I find the R3 to be a somewhat more exciting ride.

·
Registered
116 Posts
5 2" with short legs would severely limit her choice of available sports bike. there have been multiple threads here in regards to lowering the bike. You can find ideas there.
4 things you can do to lower the bike IMHO that is the most effective and safe. lower the front forks, get lowering links in the back, shave the seat and get lower profile tires. You do these 4 things and you can probably get more than 2' lower than stock!

·
Registered
10 Posts
My wife is 5'3", 29" inch inseam, and she bought a 2016 Ninja 300 ABS, and had the dealer install a lowering kit to lower 1.5", and it is perfect for her. Good bike for total newbie.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I bought the r3 it's actually the shortest I'm pretty sure.I'm learning on it bought a 2015 sitting in a crate blue grey 4,909 out the door which included stupid accessories I totally didn't realize at the time if I would have taken that out it would have been 4,800 out the door. I so could have got it for less but I got tired of the poker face.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
See if you can find a used Ninja300 cheap. That would be a good bike for her to learn on, and it won't be a big deal if she drops it a few times.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Have her take the MSF, or similar, course before buying a bike. Make sure she is going to like riding first. It is a lot cheaper to pay for the MSF course and find she doesn't like it than buying a motorcycle and having her crash. Especially if she then says she doesn't like riding.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Have you considered a smaller bike?

Honda Grom, check it out. View attachment 38697
I would get a Sym Wolf before a Grom. Cheaper, looks more like a real bike, 25 more cc and still has a Honda engine.

I also drove a scooter around for several months before I got the R3, so I got confident driving one-footed or on my toes. A tiny used bike is not a bad idea to start out on; I would have been intimidated by even the R3 at my size with no prior experience.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My two cents...

Have her take the MSF course first. Even if it costs $300, still waaaay cheaper than coughing up a couple grand for even a used bike. Better to learn on something that won't get hurt if she drops it, which she will. Especially if she has never ridden anything like a dirt bike, or small street bike.

Do not get her a Ninja 300. It's not a bad bike, but the R3 is better in EVERY way. The N300 seriously needs to go on a diet. It weighs in at about 380lbs full of fuel and it carries that weight higher than any of the other small bikes. The top heavy nature makes slow speed maneuvers much tougher. The R3 and the CBR 300R (I've yet to ride one) are much better balanced. If she drops a N300, she probably won't be able to pick it up without help when she drops it.

I am female, about 5'5" with an almost 30 in inseam, so I can comfortably flat foot all of the small sporty bikes. The R3 is definitely an easy reach for me. I learned how to ride on a brand new Ninja 300, and I did drop it a couple of times in a parking lot. Nothing but riding prepares you for how the weight transfers at slow speed. Unless in didn't have much fuel in it, I couldn't pick it up without help. I recently traded my N300 for a 2015 R3 and it really is a better bike.

I hope this helps. Best of luck to you and your fiancé!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts