Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*Face Palm* Seriously, bike is brand new.

Can anyone confirm that this is in fact called a rear fairing cover? I'm about to replace it because I just can't bear the constant reminder of my stupidity.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
The first week I was going thru a finished construction zone and caught a massive chip of concrete on my lower fairing where the Yamaha letting is and not only scrated but put a huge gouged place in it.. Wish mine looked that good..

Sent from my Z963U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
346 Posts
Here's how to tell if it's fixable, does your fingernail catch on the scratch? If it doesn't it's correctable, if it does you're probably screwed (but you can hide it). I use meguiar's products, fair warning but they work great and are available everywhere. Toothpaste works too, it's basically an abrasive, sometimes it's more abrasive than the products I'm mentioning I'd start with the LEAST abrasive first.

Scratch-X (meguiars) or any really fine polish should be able to remove that without an issue, if that doesn't work step up to a LIGHT compound, every compound is different though you want a light compound. Meguiars ultimate compound is just that, a weak compound, some compounds are very abrasive and will leave swirls so just double check what you choose if it's something different.

I'm 99% sure that's correctable from the picture, although hard to tell without being in person.

Edit: forgot to mention if your fingernail catches you can still hide it with a glaze, get some car polish (glaze) and it will fill in the scratch to a degree to help hide it. I've had some pretty bad un-correctable paint problems, but you can usually hide it very good with a glaze, only problem is the glaze wears off sometime after 6-12 months and the scratch will be visible again. Don't forget to re-wax the whole area when done.

·
Registered
164 Posts

This.

Seriously, it's an R3, not a paningale. Money can go towards something useful. Like a sticker and some gas for a days worth of riding.
Most of the non-riders I know don't know it's not a Panigale ... and they don't distinguish the R3 from anything faster or more exotic. They would notice a giant scratch on my 300cc superbike, though :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lol - I like the band-aide sticker idea. Went and ordered the "rear right fairing" from the dealer, my stupidity set me back $50.00 because I didn't see TAoramaR3's post above in time. I'm a noob and didn't set up automatic alerts for the forum thought no one had replied :(

BTW it's def a gash you just can't tell from the pic. Agree money better used for something else but...I just can't stomach this POS scratch literally a few weeks after I bought it. I won't be going out for two weekends as a result.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Live and learn! I always check Pro Caliber first. They're pretty much the cheapest I've found for OEM parts. It usually takes a couple of weeks, and the shipping can be steep if your order is under $100 (over $100 is free shipping), but when you see what they sell new parts for, and then see what people are asking on eBay, etc, it's a no-brainer.

Hey wait, didn't you scratch the LEFT side?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Where are you at?? If in NC and you come to my place and your fingernail doesn't catch the scratch (check it first!) I'll fix your scratch for $25 :p

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where are you at?? If in NC and you come to my place and your fingernail doesn't catch the scratch (check it first!) I'll fix your scratch for $25 :p
Haha thanks man - unfortunately I'm in SF and it's deeper than the picture lets on (catches finger for sure).

·
Registered
223 Posts
Don't ever buy anything from your dealer ever again unless you are ****-bent on supporting them for some reason.

Always buy from 3rd party parts warehouses. Man, nearly 100% markup for your part? That is just disgusting (towards your dealer).

Actually, small abundant things like oil filters or gaskets are ok. Anything that moves quickly are priced fair. Those are usually comparable, at least in my area it is.

Reactions: manzola

·
Registered
195 Posts
That's nothing I did this stupidity while walking my bike down a hard to see ditch with tall grass. Tipped on the side right on concrete. This prob gonna set me back $150, but ill just wait it out for a bit. I think it builds character. Lol

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's nothing I did this stupidity while walking my bike down a hard to see ditch with tall grass. Tipped on the side right on concrete. This prob gonna set me back $150, but ill just wait it out for a bit. I think it builds character. Lol
I think I just upped the ante yesterday and got you beat... my DUMB ASS dropped the bike for the first time, four days after replacing the rear fairing... BECAUSE I THOUGHT I HAD THE KICKSTAND DOWN AND I DIDN'T FML.

Just came back from an amazing 2 hour ride, was parking the bike and fumbling with the garage door opener when I motioned to lean on the kickstand that wasn't there. Luckily I put all my might behind trying to stop the fall and basically softened the landing a bit, so only broke the clutch lever, scratched up the fairing, bent the shift lever in and spilled gas everywhere.

Someone please punch me. :crying:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sounds like a good time for some upgrades. Some aftermarket levers? New rearsets? And now you know where to get cheaper parts, so new fairings wouldn't be a problem if it bugs you enough.

BTW, I ordered my last batch of OEM parts from Partzilla.com, just to give them a shot, and looks like they did get the parts out a little faster than ProCaliber, and their shipping rates if you're under $100 are maybe a little better than ProCaliber. I think ProCaliber has SLIGHTLY better prices on some stuff tho, and like I said, their customer service is excellent. Either way, it's gonna be better than going thru a dealer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sounds like a good time for some upgrades. Some aftermarket levers? New rearsets? And now you know where to get cheaper parts, so new fairings wouldn't be a problem if it bugs you enough.

BTW, I ordered my last batch of OEM parts from Partzilla.com, just to give them a shot, and looks like they did get the parts out a little faster than ProCaliber, and their shipping rates if you're under $100 are maybe a little better than ProCaliber. I think ProCaliber has SLIGHTLY better prices on some stuff tho, and like I said, their customer service is excellent. Either way, it's gonna be better than going thru a dealer.

Thanks for sharing - that's what I'll do for the fairings. Bought new levers + rearset riser from Jesse at http://www.yamahar3racing.com/

1 - 20 of 28 Posts