Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I joined a few months ago when I bought my new '19. It's great, but there just aren't enough people, and there seems to be very little activity on these forums overall. I think part of that may have to do with the fact that there are just too many different sub-forums. In a certain sense, I can understand that it might be nice to have a unique sub-forum for just about every possible category of discussion. However, I think that in practicality, that means that threads tend to sort of get buried or "lost" or generally go unnoticed -- especially to more casual users who may not be frequent flyers around here.

In my humble opinion, simplifying the forum by significantly reducing the number of sub-forums could help the forum slowly generate more traffic and retain more regular users. For example, all of the sections under "R3 Ownerhip" and all of the sub-forums immediately surrounding "Yamaha R3 General Discussion" could all be merged together into one simple section called "Yamaha R3 General Discussion"^^; all of the "Tech Talk" stuff could be merged together, etc. Of course, these are just quick suggestions, and more time and consideration could/should go into it if/before anything is to be done, but in general, I think this kind of simplification could improve these forums and the user experience.

Just my .02. Haters, feel free to hate. LOL.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Many forums such as this one are having a rough time due to Facebook and other social media. I do not care much if some of the subforums are reorganized into one subforum. Usually when I come on here I am looking for specific information about tech items and I prefer that the tech section remain as is. But that's just me. Either way I can live with it.

·
Super Moderator
1,153 Posts
I agree the Forum's sub-categories can be difficult-at-first to navigate. But there's a good reason. LOTS of 1 time posts are on here to ask technical questions about their R3s. And LOTS of folks on this Forum have those questions. The easiest way to look for those previous discussions is to go to a well laid out category and see if the question's been hashed out before.
We can all go to another type Forum to socialize or generally "shoot-the-breeze" But if you want something technical or information out of the Service Manual, you'll probably find a more knowledgeable answer on a Forum like this one.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I prefer a motorcycle specific forum over the facebook platform anyday. I deleted my facebook acct years ago because for me, about 99.99% of the traffic there and the content was just a big waste of my time. If you don't have a life, then facebook is for you.
So much for the rant, carry on.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree the Forum's sub-categories can be difficult-at-first to navigate. But there's a good reason. LOTS of 1 time posts are on here to ask technical questions about their R3s. And LOTS of folks on this Forum have those questions. The easiest way to look for those previous discussions is to go to a well laid out category and see if the question's been hashed out before.
We can all go to another type Forum to socialize or generally "shoot-the-breeze" But if you want something technical or information out of the Service Manual, you'll probably find a more knowledgeable answer on a Forum like this one.
I get your point about using sub forums to find specific types of information. By my reckoning though, that's what the search feature is supposed to take care of. Anyway, it's not a huge deal: I don't mean for this to be a complaint -- just a suggestion and an opinion based on my perspective.

On a related note, I don't think the Facebook R3 group even bothered to approve my join request LOL!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I use Tapatalk, so I see all of the new posts listed in one place, regardless of which forum they are on.

Sadly, pretty much all of the motorcycle forums that I frequent appear close to death, seemingly having lost their subscribers to Facebook.

It's a real shame for me personally, as there's no way I'm going to use Facebook, so I feel like I'm missing out on what was a once thriving online motorcycle community.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
498 Posts
When I was on the KawasakiVersys.com forum, it was common in the tech section to find devoted moto owners who would post long threads that included fotos and videos of complex repairs such as valve adjustment or a complete fork rebuild with new shim stack, etc. On facebook, helpful threads and posts like those never grow legs, Anyway I hope this board holds the course.

·
Registered
223 Posts
No fakebook for me. Never. Ever.

I just click the NEW button at the top each time I come here and catch up on active conversations that way. I don't go into individual sub forums anymore.

·
Registered
668 Posts
No fakebook for me. Never. Ever.

I just click the NEW button at the top each time I come here and catch up on active conversations that way. I don't go into individual sub forums anymore.
Same here my dood. Fb is evil and destroys lives. Been fb free since 2015.

·
Registered
365 Posts
No one's going to bite your head off for speaking the truth. Most areas of these forums appear dead and some areas could do with a tidy up or removal, but at the end of the day it's the main source of R3 information on the internet other than Facebook. Most technical questions I have to do with the R3 when I search in Google return searches back to these forums, which is how I found it in the first place.

Some things to note:
  • The main purpose of these forums is to answer peoples questions. Most questions have been answered already so newer users aren't as compelled to bother creating an account
  • R3's are not as common as a lot of other cars and bikes, and haven't been around for very long in comparison. So there's no point in having any expectations of it being remotely as busy as other forums, E.g. Corolla, Nissan Skyline, Ducati, R1, etc
  • A lot of riders start out on the R3 and are usually younger riders who are not accustomed to forums (Facebook generation)
  • Most R3 riders start on the R3 and move on; unlike bigger bikes (i.e. R6, R1). So naturally the community will stick around and build over time for those bikes. (They've also been around for a lot longer than R3s)

TL;DR: These forums are never going to be super active. They serve their purpose. There's a nice enough little community that is still active and very knowledgeable. Some restructuring of the forum areas wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
668 Posts
No one's going to bite your head off for speaking the truth. Most areas of these forums appear dead and some areas could do with a tidy up or removal, but at the end of the day it's the main source of R3 information on the internet other than Facebook. Most technical questions I have to do with the R3 when I search in Google return searches back to these forums, which is how I found it in the first place.

Some things to note:
  • The main purpose of these forums is to answer peoples questions. Most questions have been answered already so newer users aren't as compelled to bother creating an account
  • R3's are not as common as a lot of other cars and bikes, and haven't been around for very long in comparison. So there's no point in having any expectations of it being remotely as busy as other forums, E.g. Corolla, Nissan Skyline, Ducati, R1, etc
  • A lot of riders start out on the R3 and are usually younger riders who are not accustomed to forums (Facebook generation)
  • Most R3 riders start on the R3 and move on; unlike bigger bikes (i.e. R6, R1). So naturally the community will stick around and build over time for those bikes. (They've also been around for a lot longer than R3s)

TL;DR: These forums are never going to be super active. They serve their purpose. There's a nice enough little community that is still active and very knowledgeable. Some restructuring of the forum areas wouldn't hurt.
Well put my dood. This forum has literally been a life saver for me and ill do almost anything to keep it rolling.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The two reasons I don't support changes to the forum topic structure
The potential for losing all the pathways to the current posts would be detrimental as far as the internet is concerned.

The other reason I do not support a reorganization is if the old forum database is deleted without being archived (and searchable).

This is how I'd reform the forum topic structure
Yamaha YZF-R3 / MT-03 Tech Talk
  • Body, Fairing, Crash Protection (seats, mirror risers, sliders)
  • Accessories, Handlebars, Controls (helmet locks, rear sets, clip-ons, levers)
  • Air, Fuel, Cooling (airbox, ECU tuning, radiator fans)
  • Engine & Emissions (cams, rebuilds, block off plates)
  • Exhaust & Slip-ons
  • Drivetrain & Transmission (chain & sprockets, transmission, clutch)
  • Brakes, Tyres & Wheels
  • Ignition & Electronics (wiring, spark, instruments, sensors)
  • Suspension (forks, shocks)
  • Traveling & Luggage (mobile maintenance, panniers)
Rider Discussions
  • Rider & Road Safety (how to ride & your experiences)
  • Practice, Training, and Safety Courses
  • Riding Gear (gear discussions)
Track Discussions
  • Acronyms, techniques, and etiquette
  • Track Days, Events & Pole Positions
  • Per-Track Discussions (locations, lines, turns)
General Discussions
  • What did you do to your R3 today? (upgrades you'd like to share with the forum)
  • R3-Forums Member Profiles (replace introductions & build threads)
  • General Motorcycle (research, purchase decisions, comparisons)
  • My Garage (Where you work on your bike)
Marketplace
  • Motorcycles
  • Gear & Accessories
  • Parts
Other Discussions
  • Lounge (off-topic lounge)
  • Yamaha YZF-R3 / MT-03 Media
  • Yamaha YZF-R3 / MT-03 Reviews
  • Yamaha YZF-R3 / MT-03 Dealer Information
  • Yamaha YZF-R3 / MT-03 News & Recalls
Remove
  • Introductions
  • New Rider Section
  • Yamaha R3 Check In Area
  • Female Riders Lounge
  • (and any others that don't serve a useful purpose)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One reason I'd not support reorganizing the forum is the potential for losing all the pathways to the current structure, unless there was some way to preserve URLs and reorganize (which would might be easier/harder than I think).

The other reason I do not support a reorganization is that the lot of posts created in sub-forums that are utterly useless (as far as hosting & sharing usable information goes), will be lost and there's no turning back from that kind of deletion - the solution to that would be a site archive of the old, to usher in R3-Forums 2021.
IIRC, the Yamaha TW200 forum did just that -- an archive of all of the old posts -- when it transitioned onto a new platform. It works.

·
Administrator
329 Posts
Hey all. If the mod team have suggestions for section reorganization, they can shoot us a message and we'll work with them to set up the site to better suit the community's needs. Thanks!

-Mike

·
Registered
208 Posts
IIRC, the Yamaha TW200 forum did just that -- an archive of all of the old posts -- when it transitioned onto a new platform. It works.
The TW200 forum discussion sections are so simple - it's stupid.

R3-Forums cater to beginner road riders, seasoned track riders, and everyone in between, so the complexity is discouraging to some, but I think it works.

TW200 forums is probably as simple as it is, because there ain't that much to do with a TW200 (in fact, there ain't that much you should do with a R3 for that matter).

What I Wanna Know
Although Vertical Scope owns all of these sites, why doesn't Single Sign-On exist to string all VS forums together?

By having one account that spans across all Vertical Scope forums, members should be enabled to create profiles of their motorcycles that are easily findable through a Member Portal.

·
Super Moderator
1,153 Posts
Benny... You're assuming all these guys/girls want to be recognized as the same person on different Forums. Some are banned from one Forum, for any number of obnoxious reasons... only to resurface in another Forum under a different name and avatar.... Maybe they're in the Witness Protection Program...? :oops:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Benny... You're assuming all these guys/girls want to be recognized as the same person on different Forums. Some are banned from one Forum, for any number of obnoxious reasons... only to resurface in another Forum under a different name and avatar.... Maybe they're in the Witness Protection Program...? :oops:
Im still amazed I havent been banned from this Forum for obnoxious reasons.😁 Yes, I have been banned from some social media sites(no Forums yet.) Im not in the WPP, but am targeted. Thus the need to remain anonymous.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The TW200 forum discussion sections are so simple - it's stupid.

TW200 forums is probably as simple as it is, because there ain't that much to do with a TW200 (in fact, there ain't that much you should do with a R3 for that matter).
Well I really like the TW forum, and I think the forum there is excellent; that the forum is simple doesn't mean it doesn't work well -- quite the opposite, IMO.

Also, I must respectfully, strongly disagree that there is not much to do with a TW200: the guys over there (myself included, when I used to own one) have done a plethora of creative and ingenious modifications that represent massive changes to the appearance, function and overall character of the TW200 -- a bike that truly lends itself to all sorts of mods from mild to wild, and the ability to be molded to just about any sort of taste or style to fit the whims of its many different kinds of owners. The TW 200 has been turned into all kinds of things -- from a farm tool to a cafe-racer-style city scooter. All kinds of things have been done to that bike: stroked/big bore, pistons and whole top ends from other bikes (several displacement changes have been done, from 205 to 273cc), slick street tires, massive ATV tires, luggage racks, extreme gearing changes (up to 12/74 sprocket combos), sixth gear added to the transmission, the carburetor converted to an EFI system, a 400 cc engine swap from a Yamaha cruiser, etc.

Anyway, I think I've made my point: respectfully, I think that there is a ton of stuff to do with a TW :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Im still amazed I havent been banned from this Forum for obnoxious reasons.😁 Yes, I have been banned from some social media sites(no Forums yet.) Im not in the WPP, but am targeted. Thus the need to remain anonymous.
I have to second that -- while some (many) definitely get banned for being jackasses or for a certain kind of language or whatever, I think that's not always the case. I will admit that I have been banned from a couple of platforms -- one for literally no reason at all (no explanation of any kind, either), and one because I called out another member for calling me something like a "fa** ni**" in response to my very politely (seriously!) making a friendly suggestion about animal safety (since his actions -- as seen in a short video -- had significantly endangered his dog). Anyway, I'm going to go ahead and not go off topic in this thread anymore LOL, as I know that even respectful debate or discussion with even the slightest potential to ruffle someone's feathers can easily get someone banned. Anyway, yea...end digression

1 - 20 of 29 Posts