Yamaha R3 Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
What you've described (which I had no idea was the case for the TW200, the market for the aftermarket customization) is exactly the reason we should retain some level of complexity to the forums; grouping all those modifications into half a dozen sections seems mind-boggling.

However, that is one of the reasons the Advanced Search function benefits us who want to find specific results.

I am of the position that having a place like Tech Talk (with as many topics as it has) is really a wealthy database of specific, technical knowledge.

When the list includes a mountain of different threads concerning parts of the bike that doesn't concern me at a given time, it becomes more difficult to discern the threads of content which would interest me from the threads that are a waste of my time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
What you've described (which I had no idea was the case for the TW200, the market for the aftermarket customization) is exactly the reason we should retain some level of complexity to the forums; grouping all those modifications into half a dozen sections seems mind-boggling.

However, that is one of the reasons the Advanced Search function benefits us who want to find specific results.

I am of the position that having a place like Tech Talk (with as many topics as it has) is really a wealthy database of specific, technical knowledge.

When the list includes a mountain of different threads concerning parts of the bike that doesn't concern me at a given time, it becomes more difficult to discern the threads of content which would interest me from the threads that are a waste of my time.
Fair enough. I do like the idea of a general "tech talk" section (I just think it doesn't need to be further sub-divided into "tires", "brakes", etc.). But I can understand if you'd prefer to keep them. I guess we must agree to disagree :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
I created a new discussion and survey on the idea of merging Vertical Scope Powersports forums.
How do you reconcile merging this forum with a WHOLE bunch of other forums, with someone else's opinion that these forums are "overly complex"?

Sure, there is some perceived overlap pertaining to the general motorcycle discussion areas, but there is not much overlap between what owners of big touring bikes do, and what owners of off-road bikes do, and what beginner riders do, and what roadracers do. The nature of the discussions on (let's say) the Kawasaki H2 forum are nothing like the nature of the discussions here.

If half the people complain it's too complicated, and half the people complain it's not extensive enough, it's probably okay!

·
Super Moderator
1,069 Posts
Im still amazed I havent been banned from this Forum for obnoxious reasons.😁
I have to second that -- while some (many) definitely get banned for being jackasses or for a certain kind of language or whatever, I think that's not always the case.
Nope. Nowhere close. You'll know ahead of time.. Now both of you go to your rooms.

·
Registered
140 Posts
How do you reconcile merging this forum with a WHOLE bunch of other forums...
I responded to your insights on the merging of forums on the Advocates for Vertical Scope Powersports Network thread.
...If half the people complain it's too complicated, and half the people complain it's not extensive enough, it's probably okay!
There are 3,800 6,800 members on this forum and (maybe it's short-sighted) most of them are inactive. Until there's some kind of R3-Forums vote on whether there should be a restructuring of the forum topics, I'd say it's not 50-50.
Fair enough. I do like the idea of a general "tech talk" section (I just think it doesn't need to be further sub-divided into "tires", "brakes", etc.). But I can understand if you'd prefer to keep them. I guess we must agree to disagree :)
I do agree with this here; you have a really good point. In fact, I didn't even look at it that way until you mentioned it.

Brakes, Tyres, Wheels could literally be that as one topic "Brakes, Tyres, Wheels".

I updated the Spoiler: R3-Forums 2021 from my first response with a simplified version on the topic structure for R3 Tech Talk.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I guess we could always do a survey and see what percentage would support some sub-forum merging / simplification. But of course at the end of the day, it would all be up to the mods anyway. Maybe I'll create such a survey in a separate post and then just leave it at that (the mods could act on it if they so choose / if the results of the survey happened to go my way).

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hey all. If the mod team have suggestions for section reorganization, they can shoot us a message and we'll work with them to set up the site to better suit the community's needs. Thanks!

-Mike
Who makes up the "mod team"?
I am curious who needs to be convinced.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts