Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey peeps
Last night I rode home with my groceries, I use a back pack, but it was full.

I only had a loaf of bread and took my chances of using the little strap over the pillion seat to get it home.

I made it out of the shops and to the first set of lights, but lost the bread. Must of been a bit of a giggle for the drivers around me.

So my question is what do you use if your back packs full and you want to get something back.

Like is there a cargo oki strap or something from yamaha.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks Oli

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have various size touring packages that can be attached to the pillion with some rope and a good ol slipknot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
"I made it out of the shops and to the first set of lights, but lost the bread. Must of been a bit of a giggle for the drivers around me."

Hahaha you made my day there.

I usually bring a backpack with me. Try using a backpack for cameras. They have large compartments which are movable and can be changed in shape to hold the things in backpack in place. If not any simple backpack will do. But don't expect to carry a lot of stuff in backpacks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I carry a spare helmet bag inside my backpack. In a pinch, I can put some things in it and sling it over my shoulder if needed: if I overestimate my backpack's cargo capacity or the backpack were to rip open or something. Probably not a great long term/planned solution...but it will get you out of a bind if needed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I carry a spare helmet bag inside my backpack. In a pinch, I can put some things in it and sling it over my shoulder if needed: if I overestimate my backpack's cargo capacity or the backpack were to rip open or something. Probably not a great long term/planned solution...but it will get you out of a bind if needed.

·
Super Moderator
1,154 Posts
Oliver, another option would be a tank bag. Since the R3 has plastic fuel tank covers, a magnetic bag is out of the running. Several companies use a 'tank-lock' system that use a stationary 'ring' that bolts over the outer ring of the hinged fuel cap.. and uses a spring loaded base to the bottom of the tank bag. Very secure, the bag is easily removed for fueling and when left at home you never notice the ring.
I'm not trying to endorse any particular product here, I just know this set-up works well on my R3. Anyway, I use a GIVI 25LT tank-lock bag with no problems with visibility of the dash or full movement of the front end. If your interested I can provide GIVI's tank lock ring size, but their website may provide it. And if I ever decide to get another bike, all I'd need to do is install a bike-specific tank-ring and use the same bag.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a helmet bag that packs down small enough to fit in the tail. Its made by Nelson Rigg. I picked it up on a whim for around $20 at local bike shop and it has saved my bacon on several occasions. It great because I can just leave it in the tail with my papers, an Allen key, and a pressure gauge. I never need to remember to grab it because it's always there...

·
Registered
668 Posts
I normally just tie the items to my backpack strap and take it easy to my destination. I have lost many snacks tying items to the back seat.
I dont have padding in my pillion, so its easier to tie down snacks. They still try to escape sometimes.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Looks like you're about due for a valve clearance check? I saw a guy selling his R3 in NZ which has done 85,000kms and he had his done at 55k.
Definately. Is that something i can do myself? Im done with dealerships.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Definately. Is that something i can do myself? Im done with dealerships.
You can do anything you put your mind to! That being said.. if you're not reasonably mechanically minded and don't have the right tools, it's definitely best left for someone who has done one before as there is a lot that can go wrong.

There are a few threads on these forums that talk about valve clearance checks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts