Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for folks who have installed a 12V power socket (cigarette lighter style) in the dash area to plug in a GPS?

Some folks typically install them in the fairing, others on the bars.

I need suggestions please & also post links to the hardware and a photo or two on the install. I know how to install the fused power, just having a bit of trouble deciding on a place to put it that will not interfere with the full turn of the bars.

Thanks in advance!

Kirk

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Looking for folks who have installed a 12V power socket (cigarette lighter style) in the dash area to plug in a GPS?

Some folks typically install them in the fairing, others on the bars.

I need suggestions please & also post links to the hardware and a photo or two on the install. I know how to install the fused power, just having a bit of trouble deciding on a place to put it that will not interfere with the full turn of the bars.

Thanks in advance!

Kirk
I saw one of these Yamaha ones recently, mounted horizontally on an R6's triple clamp with Scotch adhesive squares and a couple small, black tie wraps for extra security. http://japan.webike.net/products/21434544.html

bb.jpg

Not the most elegant install but there was no interference with lock to lock turning at all. And, it has an inline fuse. Sorry, I don't have a photo of it mounted....

There are cheaper ones available on this site, too. Some you have to add the bracket separately, though.

http://japan.webike.net/ps/power+socket+with+bracket/#!search&p.k=power+socket+with+bracket

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
We'd vote for Fangshui as the forum most informed man regarding to products for the R3 :) Ask something and Fang knows the part, exhaust/slip-ons/clip-ons/sockets you name it:)
Jeez, I guess I REALLY need to get a LIFE, eh?

Or maybe it's time to format the Grey Matter Drive....

·
Registered
717 Posts
Nah, you keep on truckin', Fang. Now get back to findin' us new parts!!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Guess the most common way is to connect the wire to for example the triangle light wire right?

Never directly to the battery fokes.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hey guys, feel a bit bad necro-ing this thread but I suppose its better than starting a new thread.

Im looking at getting one of these to install in the rear compartment, and was wondering if anyone knew where there was some switched (to the ignition) power that I can tap into in the rear.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hey guys, feel a bit bad necro-ing this thread but I suppose its better than starting a new thread.

Im looking at getting one of these to install in the rear compartment, and was wondering if anyone knew where there was some switched (to the ignition) power that I can tap into in the rear.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deltran-Bat...dapter-iphone-ipod-android-gps-/272153874611?

add a trickle charger lead and just plug in USB when you need it

2.1amp no cutting wires

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Installed w/ photos

Looks like I never got back here to update my install. I installed this shortly after starting this thread. I installed the 12V socket down on the right side of the frame. I found a socket that had a flat mounting surface. I used 3M double sided tape and a couple zip ties for insurance.

This is wired "always hot" with a 10 amp inline fuse right at the battery. I use this socket to keep my bike connected to a battery tender when I park it in the garage at home. I also use it to power my GPS. It is not affected with full turn of the handle bar each way even with the huge Garmin plug in it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Here's is how I did mine, integrated it into my front plastics and right next to my mount. Used a battery tender plug so that I can charge my battery, check my zoltage and charge my phone.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts