Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed some aftermarket levers last week and now my idle when the clutch is pulled all the way in is slightly off. I didn't notice it right away because it isn't engaged enough to start pulling forward, but it is engaged enough to not be idling properly because I can hear the difference when the clutch is pulled all the way in vs. having the bike in neutral.

I am guessing that the aftermarket levers altered the engagement point of the clutch a little bit. When the clutch is all the way in it is not idling properly, it idles faster the same way it does right as you enter the friction zone. It isn't engaged enough to start moving, though, just enough where it isn't idling the same way it goes in neutral, so the clutch is not completely disengaged.

When I adjust the levers for a longer pull, I can pull it all the way back and get the proper idle, but then the shifting point is waaaay too far at the end of the range to the point where the lever is pretty much completely released before the shift engages properly.

I am assuming this means I just need to adjust my clutch cable a tiny bit, right? So that it completely disengages when pulled in but also engages at a reasonable point within the pull range. Anyone have any other helpful info here? Planning on doing the adjustment tomorrow when I swap my fairings and install my fender eliminator.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I ran into this with Chinese levers. You will need to make an adjustment.

I had to go all the way to the engine to get enough slack out of it to not have the adjuster on the lever too far in or out.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ran into this with Chinese levers. You will need to make an adjustment.

I had to go all the way to the engine to get enough slack out of it to not have the adjuster on the lever too far in or out.
This is what I figured. I am removing my right fairing tomorrow anyways so I'll adjust it then. I want to keep the lever on the lowest adjustable length as that is the most comfortable spot, so I think I just need to adjust it a tad.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Vercify - which levers did you get?
I purchased these adjustable/foldable levers from China. Build quality was a lot better than expected - there is a bit of play, but not nearly as bad as I anticipated and I am ok with it given the price. Tighter tolerance levers made stateside will cost more than double the $40 I paid, and I personally did not want to spend that much when the functionality is largely the same. The colors look great. The silver on the levers is a bit darker/more gray than the silver on the R3, but the blue is a very close match.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts