Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, when i hit the button to start my R3 without using the throttle, it starts but immediately jumps to 3500 revs for a second as though i have turned the throttle and then goes back to normal idle. Any ideas?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
188 Posts
Cold engine, hot engine, cold weather, hot weather, or all the time?

Fault-warning lamp ("check engine" lamp) on or off?

Idle speed is electronically regulated via the IAC valve inside the throttle body on these. Idle speed is controlled by the computer and there's nothing adjustable and nothing you can do about it.

With the caveat that what you're describing is not normal except perhaps a cold-start of a cold engine, in what way does this behaviour actually cause a problem for you? (it shouldn't)

If it only happens upon cold-start of a cold engine ... it's normal.

If the fault-warning lamp is on, find out what fault code it is setting.

If the fault-warning lamp is not on, check for a vacuum leak between the throttle body and the engine. Make sure the clamps are secure. There's one for each cylinder.

·
Registered
117 Posts
In fact you can adjust idle RPM. I haven't done it myself but there is a mechanical way as shown in this R3 video.

It is used mostly by stunters and will not fix the issue of original poster. It's just here for the reference.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hi all, when i hit the button to start my R3 without using the throttle, it starts but immediately jumps to 3500 revs for a second as though i have turned the throttle and then goes back to normal idle. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance
Mine does this sometimes too. Freaks me out a little bit when Raven revs herself, but we just ride through the adversity like always.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Thank you in advance
Hmm.. I've never had this issue. I usually let it warm up for about 2 mins while I'm putting on my gear and then ride. But if I skip the warm-up and start immediately, I feel the throttle is kinda letting in more fuel initially.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all, thank you for all your replies. It seems to have sorted itself out. It did this start up high revving thing about 10 times in a row but i went on a long ride and it seems to have got rid of the issue for now. Thank you all for taking the time to help.

Ride safe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts