Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you guys noticed a idle rpm change when the bike is in neutral and in gear, I have notice mine sits at @1500rpm in neutral and about @1700 in gear with the clutch pulled in. no other issues, just started doing it on the weekend and the bike is new with about 500k on it

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yes I think that's because when you release the clutch you put a little bind on the engine even in neautral. The ECU is probably compensating for this. Mine does close to the same thing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bringing this back alive

My R3 a few weeks ago starting to do this: when its on neutral idles at 1500 rpm but when I shift to 1st gear revs up to 1800-2000 rpm and stays there, the same thing when I'm coming to a stop and start downshifting the rpms stay a 2000 rpm until I put neutral.

Sometimes it happens often others it doesn't. I've tried to release the clutch a bit and pull it in again and then it goes back to idle at 1500 rpm.

What could this be?

·
Registered
124 Posts
My race bike doesn't do this because the clutch switch is gone (and it has aftermarket ECU programming).

But in the absence of being able to check for myself and thus having to take a wild guess ... Probably ECU programming. It's designed to do that. It raises the idle speed a little when in gear to make it easier to start off from a stop without stalling the engine. It's possible that the ECU takes other mysterious factors into account. My car (manual transmission - becoming a rarity) does this, too.

Idle speed regulation is not absolutely perfect; it's going to vary a little depending on how hot the engine is, how hot the oil is, the condition of the clutch (when in gear with clutch held), etc.

It's not adjustable, anyhow. There's nothing to adjust. Unless it is doing something crazy like idling at 5000 rpm, there's nothing "wrong". So ... put it out of your mind and forget about it, and let it do its thing.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Someone posted about this recently. It's activated by the clutch switch. Basically, when your bike is below a certain RPM (from memory it was somewhere around 3,000rpm), you're in gear and the clutch is not pulled it, the ecu ups the rpm. I found it a bit annoying.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts