Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I changed my oil today and filled the new oil filter before putting it on. I mis-calculated the amount of oil I put in. I did cycle it through the engine, but after it settled my entire oil level window showed oil.
I realized I would have to remove some oil. I really didn't want to pull the plug and place the removed oil in an empty oil container to measure. While waiting for the engine to cool some more, I discovered this video and it worked perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zmnOdce1V8

·
Registered
175 Posts
That's pretty ingenious, but I would be cautious using a short stemmed pump. Hate to think what the results would be if the stem came loose and couldn't be retrieved. Maybe a real long one would be a lot safer. Just my thoughts.

Randy

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I did cycle it through the engine, but after it settled my entire oil level window showed oil.
I realized I would have to remove some oil.
WRONG!
Nothing wrong with running the oil level at the top of the window. I do it!
I like to have a LITTLE extra in there. It won't hurt anything.

If you are OCD, it might bother you, but the engine doesn't care! :laugh:
( The engine only cares if you run it LOW on oil! )

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WRONG!
Nothing wrong with running the oil level at the top of the window. I do it!
I like to have a LITTLE extra in there. It won't hurt anything.

If you are OCD, it might bother you, but the engine doesn't care! :laugh:
( The engine only cares if you run it LOW on oil! )
See, I was not sure. I just figured the Max Line on the oil window, should not be violated. The last thing I want is to "jack-up" my R-3, because I'm a DIY guy.

I am borderline OCD; when it comes to Rayne (my R-3 Raven:D) definitely O-C-D!!! My OCD-research indicated too much oil compromises certain things; especially when breaking. I will admit, I do not understand all the details and may have misinterpreted the material I read.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
My OCD-research indicated too much oil compromises certain things
It can, if your crankshaft is swimming in an oil-bath! It has to be extremely overfull for that to happen.
An extra "half-a-quart" won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Take a clean hose, put inside the hole you inserted the oil and pull it over with the mounth. Be carefull do don't **** engine oil! hahahahahaha
I did this to my bike, it's very easy.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Take a clean hose, put inside the hole you inserted the oil and pull it over with the mounth. Be carefull do don't **** engine oil! hahahahahaha
I did this to my bike, it's very easy.
I have done just that - takes a while to get rid of that taste.....

·
Registered
326 Posts
Overfill can lead to oil foaming, blow-by to airbox and/or loss of horsepower - mid sightglass is ideal, just sayin.....
My old Ape was known for blow by in air box if overfilled. Being a dry sump it was quite the challenge to get the level right. Was at the stealership once getting a chain put on and they told me they didn't want to start it because it looked like it didn't have oil. So they pushed it out of the shop. I said it's a dry sump and they were like oh yeah. Smh.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
That's much better than my method I used lol...I just unscrewed the plug slowly and let some oil out then quickly put it back in. You get oil on your fingers but that was it.

Reactions: Kojiiro

·
Registered
87 Posts
I overfilled on my first time. I just had to loosen the drain bolt and hold it place until enough came out then just re-tightened it. I thought 4L wasn't enough, lmao......

·
Super Moderator
1,329 Posts
Someone drained ~5L from a used ninja 300 last week over on the kawasaki forum. They said oil was coming out everywhere by the time they rode the bike home, lol.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Someone drained ~5L from a used ninja 300 last week over on the kawasaki forum. They said oil was coming out everywhere by the time they rode the bike home, lol.
Yeah i've heard of stories like that. One of the techs at the local Ducati dealer told me they drained close to 7 quarts of oil from a bike once, that was supposed to have less than 4 in it! lol Some people really should just not work on their bikes.

Reactions: Gizmo

·
Registered
9 Posts
That idea is just brilliant :D

Last week I overfilled my bike's engine as well. In the user's manual it is said: 1,8l when old filter stays/2,1l with a new filter.
I was changing a filter, so... I measured exactly 2l and filled my engine, started, stopped and... level window was empty, even 5 minutes later.
I added another 100ml and that filled level window perfectly between the lines. Great! I took like 10 miles ride, and left the bike in the garage.

Next day I noticed that level window is full. Not only above the max line. Full. I started engine for 5 minutes, stopped and... still full.

Thanks to this thread, using a soap pomp bought in Rossmann (German Walgreen's ;) ) I removed like 0,2-0,3l. Now oil is around the top line.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts