Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to remove the switch, but when I peeked under where the two bolts are (#26 in diagram) I couldn't quite tell what kind or size they were?

Is there a trick to removing the ignition?

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
They're security bolts. When you torque them, down, the protruding heads twist off. Only way to get them off is to drill what's left of the heads off and then use vice grips to unscrew the remaining bolt. You'll need to pull that top triple clamp and flip it over to get at them. Oh, and there's a TON of thread lock on them so getting them out is no small chore. Then to reinstall, either order some new OEM security bolts or go to the hardware store and get some generic bolts. Only downside to generic bolts is that it'll make it easier for someone else to remove your lock. ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Holy crap, that's gonna be fun.
It's a race bike, so just gonna remove it for good. They are recessed in there, so not sure how I would get vise grips in there ones I drilled the head off.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Holy crap, that's gonna be fun.
It's a race bike, so just gonna remove it for good. They are recessed in there, so not sure how I would get vise grips in there ones I drilled the head off.
My bad - you take the triple clamp off, flip it over, drill the heads off the ignition lock bolts, then you can slide the lock out of the triple clamp, and then you use the vice grips to remove what's left of the bolts in the triple clamp. Once the lock is off the clamp, you'll have about 1/4" of the bolt sticking up that you can get hold of. The lock slides over the bolts - the holes in the lock aren't threaded.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Yeah just did mine the other day too. Take the clamp off, put it in a vise if you have on and start drilling. Then I sawed off the remainder of the bolt studs so they don't catch on anything. I tried taking mine out but I only got a couple of revolutions on each and then they got stuck. Probably due to the the threadlock or whatever they put on the threads from the factory, and having destroyed the threads on the outside with the pliers I was using.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts