Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
*Important* Dangerous adjustable levers .

I subscribe to a few other R3 pages on Facebook and saw this today. From what I could make out, (Thai Language) through translator it seems they got jammed and he lost all braking but survived without an accident.Getting part's that fit properly is important. Reason why I "NEVER" (do my best) buy parts from china, you just never know which one will give you this surprise. I think waiting for a nice set like yamaha gytr levers or some brembos are for me.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Any more details? I have used chinese levers on 3 bikes now with no problems. I have the ones pictured on the R3 right now.

EDIT if you are going to get a Brembo lever, might as well get the MC too. The lever is like half the price of the MC lol.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Any more details? I have used chinese levers on 3 bikes now with no problems. I have the ones pictured on the R3 right now.

EDIT if you are going to get a Brembo lever, might as well get the MC too. The lever is like half the price of the MC lol.
Yes I meant the brembo RCS15 MC/lever + just the brake lever unless they have an adjustable one that matches.

I suck at translating Thai and my wife is not around. I used Bing's translator on facebook and it said something to the tune of, I could not brake because of the lever getting stuck. I thought broken or cracked at first but from looking at the photos it probably seized/stuck and not able to brake. Sure not all of china made parts suck but I def do not want to send my money there if I can help it.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Yes I meant the brembo RCS15 MC/lever + just the brake lever unless they have an adjustable one that matches.

I suck at translating Thai and my wife is not around. I used Bing's translator on facebook and it said something to the tune of, I could not brake because of the lever getting stuck. I thought broken or cracked at first but from looking at the photos it probably seized/stuck and not able to brake. Sure not all of china made parts suck but I def do not want to send my money there if I can help it.
It could have been a set that doesn't re-use the brass bushing from the stock lever. Without that bushing in there it's possible to overtighten the bolt and squeeze the two sides of the housing down onto the lever. Then if it gets hot and expands the lever can get really tight and might seize in the housing.

I've also used Chinese levers on 3-4 bikes with no issues but I learned, from personal experience, to get the ones that re-use the R3s bushing. That way you know they really designed them for the bike. Look for a photo in the listing that either shows the bushing installed or mentions it in the listing description.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Guess I am just a brat, only nice stuff for me please!

FengShui, you are probably right about the bushing not being present.
Here is one more photo I forgot to post and what might have happened was the lever was always slightly engaged and overheated his rotors maybe? Get a translator soon.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
The only quality issues I've had were the red anodizing fading. As a side note, someone on another site interchanged a cheap Chinese lever with a name brand one (ASV? Can't remember) with no issues at all. I'm not promoting cheap products but all I am saying is from my experience I've had no problems.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, so the guy installed the levers he ordered online and seems they were really sensitive (no play) just the slightest touch of the lever would make him brake hard. Later while riding, all of a sudden it started to lock up. Lucky they have ABS there! Guess you just have to check the quality of fitment and take it easier before riding with new pars. Seems the guy did not take it easy when checking for functionality and from the photo of the rotors his brakes were always dragging. Guess you can say 90% human error and 10% bad fitment.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It could have been a set that doesn't re-use the brass bushing from the stock lever. Without that bushing in there it's possible to overtighten the bolt and squeeze the two sides of the housing down onto the lever. Then if it gets hot and expands the lever can get really tight and might seize in the housing.

I've also used Chinese levers on 3-4 bikes with no issues but I learned, from personal experience, to get the ones that re-use the R3s bushing. That way you know they really designed them for the bike. Look for a photo in the listing that either shows the bushing installed or mentions it in the listing description.

What levers are you using? a link would be awesome!

·
Registered
545 Posts

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts