Yamaha R3 Forums banner

Incorrect Oil Level

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Alex Bendi 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I did an oil change around 700km ago and I changed to Motul 10w40 and K&N oil filter. Recently, my friends have been saying that the oil level is too high when the bike is off. The oil level reaches a little bit above maximum after I shut it off while the oil is hot.

Did I perhaps do an improper oil change? Maybe too much oil? If so, how can I get the little bit of oil out of the engine without actually having to slowly unplug the oil plug to make it drip?

Also, since I have been riding the bike with more oil, do you guys think that the engine could have taken any damage on that?

Thanks!

This image below is when the bike was on stand and the the engine/oil was hot.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
It's really difficult to get exactly 2.22 qts, or equivalent, out of a bottle. Assuming you were anywhere close when you reinstalled the oil, it's doubtful there would be any ill effects to the engine. I'm pretty sure your engine's not aware where that peep-site is showing. It's also extremely difficult to get the bike perfectly level to check the oil level. I could argue the bike needs to be on the ground, not a pair of stands. And certainly not just the rear stand. Thus the upper and lower levels on the looking site. If it makes you feel better to lower the oil level, use an inexpensive suction device, like you'd have in a baby's nursery or in the kitchen like a "turkey baster". Anything you can pull a small suction with, and add a long enough flexible tube so you can reach the oil level by inserting the tube through the oil fill cap. I'm not trying to imply there's no need to be mindful of overfilling the oil in the engine. But in my simple- minded opinion, if you took the time to properly determine the amount of oil needed and measured out that amount of oil when you added it back in, there's not a problem. Good Luck, stop your worry, and go enjoy a ride.

#3 ·
I have removed oil with a big syringe (no needle) I got from a pet supply shop. It is used to squirt medicine etc. down an animals throat. Put some small plastic tubing from the hardware store on it to reach down into the crankcase.
I have done the same with fork oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.