Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It took longer to take the stock exhaust off than it did to put the new system on. Sounds a **** of a lot better. I don't have a block off plate or PCV. Took it for a 20 mile ride right after installing. Not experiencing any backfire or performance issues. 10/10 would recommend.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Put it on the dyno, and check A/F-ratio across the RPM range.
You will find out you need a fuel controller.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I talked with many pipe builders ....... yosh..m4 ..2 bro and akra and they all told me they build their systems using stock settings but u will gain power and improvement some if u install or remap.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I talked with many pipe builders ....... yosh..m4 ..2 bro and akra and they all told me they build their systems using stock settings but u will gain power and improvement some if u install or remap.
Stock exhaust from Yamaha is set to run Super lean for emissions, now with the aftermarket exhaust it runs leaner, so you roll the dice.

·
Registered
353 Posts
They're never going to tell anything different; if they did, their sales would drastically reduce.

With a lot of bikes, adding a full exhaust will add HP without a tune. Unfortunately with the R3 (and many other bikes), the ECU can't make compensations for the change so you will lose power and a tune is needed if you want a performance increase.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is what Norton has to say about this. "Do I really need a fuel controller with a full system exhaust? This question comes up a lot, so I hope this section will help answer the question. These are dyno charts showing the bike with a full exhaust installed, before and after a custom tune was done with a Bazzaz or PCV. This is important because you will notice the starting HP numbers are very low, in the 33-35 HP range, a couple HP less than the bone stock bikes above. I wanted to demonstrate that when you install a full system exhaust on a motorcycle, you drastically change the air flow and back pressure there is in the exhaust system, and this has much larger effects on the air/fuel ratio than the stock O2 sensor and ECU can adjust for. You end up with a bike that runs WAY out of the ideal air/fuel ratio range, and this dramatically hurts performance. Whether or not it is detrimental to the motor is another discussion, but it certainly is not good for it. From a performance standpoint, you are better off running the bike bone stock, or with a slip-on exhaust, than installing a full system exhaust without a fuel controller . full text. Yamaha R3 / MT03 Exhaust Dyno Test and Superbike Build

·
Registered
6 Posts
The new exhaust will adjust to the new pipe by using the stock 02 sensor, if u start messing with the air cleaner u may need to install a fuel controller. When i spoke with hindle, m4, yosh, aka all their dynos showed a improvement in power everyone of their tech told me when they dyno the bike that did no change the stock settings on the bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you for your interest in Akrapovic Exhaust Systems. Unless otherwise stated in the product description, 95% of our systems are designed and developed with all stock mapping in place. We are an Exhaust engineering company not a fuel management company and therefore, we do not offer remapping advice or options.

The performance statistics located on our website are based off of all stock settings in place. However, there are about 5% of the systems that need additional mapping. For these systems we specifically state our suggested partner for that particular model motorcycle. Please review the product descriptions on the individual system pages for additional mapping information.

Installation manuals are availibe online via a link at the bottom of the individual system page.

Best,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts