Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed a Delkevic full exhaust this AM...Took approximately 2 hours start to clean-up. Matt at Delkevic's US headquarters in Littleton Colorado, was very helpful and returned phone calls and emails quickly. I received the exhaust in 3 day via UPS as promised.
I my opinion the craftmanship, quality of the build and materials 304 Stainless Steel, are outstanding. Delkevic provided, new header crush washers, high temp exhaust sealant all pipes were marked and IDed, making the insulation simple and pleasurable.
I removed the baffle before insulation ( Sound I was looking for ), and reinstalled the Oxygen sensor in the Delkvic mid pipe. The only necessary modification ( REDUCING POSSIABLE HEAT DAMAGE ) was moving the charcoal canister using the OEM mount 2 positions to the right, looking from the front of the bike. Also adding an ECU flash from Norton R3 racing when it arrives.. I will be selling my Akrapovic slip-on less than 400 miles with all original packing and instructions for $175.00 USD. (Apologies if I can't sat this here.)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Looks nice, how much did the exhaust cost you? Interested to know your thoughts on the flash when you get it. Are you going to put a block off plate on, and HF air filter?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! Delkevic is sweet, all stainless, sound is low with nice volume.. runs nice without flash will update when installed..yes will do block off and air box and filter at some point. Bike has ABS so Jess at R3 can't do ECU exchange.. I put a 14 on the front makes 1 thur 4 more playful in the bends and nice top end.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Is the exhaust popping a lot on decel without the ECU flash or just an occasional pop. Their advertisement states that a flash is not necessary, so I am curious about that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No more feedback, popping than with my Akrapovic slip on. Better sound deeper then the slip on.
I am installing a block plate and ECU from Norton R3 once Jess ships this Monday.
The block plate should eliminate any popping that is a result of unused fuel being reintroduced in to air box, ergo engine.
No the popping hasn't increased with the new Delkvic exhaust system. Further I haven't notice any decrease in power...What I have noticed is less engine breaking, and the ability of the engine to attain higher RPMs smoothly enabling smoother shifts up and down..

Reactions: kiko

·
Registered
478 Posts
No more feedback, popping than with my Akrapovic slip on. Better sound deeper then the slip on.
I am installing a block plate and ECU from Norton R3 once Jess ships this Monday.
The block plate should eliminate any popping that is a result of unused fuel being reintroduced in to air box, ergo engine.
No the popping hasn't increased with the new Delkvic exhaust system. Further I haven't notice any decrease in power...What I have noticed is less engine breaking, and the ability of the engine to attain higher RPMs smoothly enabling smoother shifts up and down..
I would be interested to know the popping ceases after you install the block off plate without the ECU flash. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will do..

·
Registered
478 Posts
Got an update for us with the block off plate installed but without the ECU flash? Curious minds want to know.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't done it yet..Ski season and my garage is cold.. I will have some news within a week or so. I will be doing the ECU and block at the same time.
The 2019 / 20 tanks isn't as easy to take off as pervious years. Need to remove faring left and right side..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Delkevic states this, but suggests after exhaust fitment modification a dyno test is suggested..

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have looked on the Delkevic website but do not find any information if their exhausts have a db killer, removable silencer installed. If the Delkevic has a dbkiller, can it be removed apart from the spark arrestor or are these two pieces joined as one?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I would be interested to know the popping ceases after you install the block off plate without the ECU flash. Keep us posted.
Me too. But also:

I have done some reading on the Smog/AIS Block Off Plate and wrote some material about it if you're interested to know more about why we need Smog Block Off Plates (as well as need to disable the Air Injection System on our ECU).

Refer to the section Emission System Mods on the Performance Delivery YZF-R3 | FT ECU, Bazzaz Z-AFM 4.9 & Z-Fi ft. Full Exhaust Lists thread for more info. I included a video in there to help explain the burbling (as youtuber DodgeRider puts it).

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have done some reading on the Smog/AIS Block Off Plate and wrote some material about it if you're interested to know more about why we need Smog Block Off Plates (as well as need to disable the Air Injection System on our ECU).
Thanks for the links, I watched the video and now have a better understanding of the purpose of a block off plate. ...Beforehand I had zero knowledge of EFI and block off plates. Excuse me if this is a dumb comment, but as I understand the video, the block off plate as installed or removed will not affect performance or engine reliability in any way. The only difference is that if the block off plate is installed, then the popping noises are reduced or limited.

I need to do some investigative work on my MT-03 exhaust because some of the info I glean from these exhaust threads may not be applicable to my moto version. I have no access to parts schematic of our version in Mexico to figure it all out, but I will keep looking.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It depends on what you're trying to do with your bike.
If you want it to sound cool, don't install a full exhaust - just buy a slip-on.

But if your aim is better performance, just know that the process of tuning and maintaining engine reliability, isn't so simple.

See this post for a reworked explanation (and an answer to your question, @kiko to the necessity of eliminating the emissions system (and performing other required tuning)).

I'm referring you there, because once I am able to update the thread, I intend on condensing the information so it's easier to manage in the future.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts