Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I just bought some Daytona heated grip and I am planning to install them this weekend. After doing some research I read allot of people install a R6 throttle tube on their R3. I have a 2020 model R3 but most posts about the throttle tube are from 6 years ago. Since the model has changed I am wondering which year of the R6 I should use for the throttle tube…. Any suggestions?

(Btw if someone know a good place on the R3 to tap the power for the heated grip I would like to know💯)

kind regards,

·
Super Moderator
1,269 Posts
I'll let someone else chime in on the R6 throttle tube. But if you're going that route, do them before installing the heated grips.
I'm not familiar with 'Daytona' heated grips, but they should come with an in-line fuse for protection. I've installed 3 sets of Oxford grips that I attached directly to the battery, per instructions. No problems.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: Just placed a order for the Yamaha R6 2008 OEM Throttle.
Should be in the house by Thursday....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okey so I picked up the 2008 R6 throttle tube at the Yamaha dealer this afternoon. When I got home i started with measuring how much I could twist the throttle and just to get some numbers I measured it.
Tire Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Bicycle tire

Hand Sleeve Finger Gesture Thumb

Automotive tire Car Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle

As seen I can twist the throttle about 4,5cm.

after measuring I started to remove the throttle housing. Which is fastened with three screws, two outside of the housing and the third one inside the housing.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Carbon

1st screw

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motorcycle Motor vehicle
2nd screw

Bicycle Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Blue Automotive tire

After removing the cap with is fastened with the 2nd screw. The 3rd screw is visible after pushing aside the right throttle cable.

After this it was easy to split the throttle housing.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Automotive fuel system Automotive design

I removed the throttle cable on the R3 throttle and replaced the throttle with the R6 throttle after I removed the the rubber grip since I am going to use heated grips.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For who is interested I made a photo of the difference between the two throttles and it is noticeable.
Clothing Photograph Automotive tire Camera lens Cameras & optics

Automotive tire Tire Rim Bicycle part Fender

Leg Automotive tire Cloud Automotive design Gesture

The white throttle is the one of the R6 and the black one is from the R3.

After this I put on the R6 throttle and gave it a twist I could notice the difference. Also there was another twist about the throttle (pun intended). I noticed when I was steering to the right and release the throttle the throttle would release as it should. When I was steering to the left and released the throttle it would take about two seconds before the gas totally closed. Which isn’t good in situations where you need to breaks suddenly…….. luckily this can be easily fixed by adjusting the tension of the throttle cable. After adjusting I put together the throttle housing and started with measuring out how I needed tho place the heated grips. After measuring I glued it together.

As it is now I am waiting for the glue to dry and wil give a update tomorrow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okey the glue is dry I could start my measuring the difference between the R3 an R6 throttle.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bicycle tire Vehicle
White Light Gesture Automotive tire Finger

Automotive tire Finger Automotive design Automotive exterior Auto part

Since the R6 throttle is 3cm it is a very noticeable difference of a little more then 1,5 cm with the R3 throttle.

btw these are the Daytona heated grips:
Vehicle Blue Car Hood Automotive lighting
Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Light

1 - 11 of 11 Posts