Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi R3 fans,

I am currently thinking about installing a usb charger for my iPhone onto my R3 for navigation reasons.
So I thought I would jump on here to ask you all about idea's and or best practices on how to install or wire in a charger.
Im not sparky savvy when it comes to selecting the right fuse strength etc but I am pretty good with wiring bits up.
I already have a unit prewired but with no fuse attached. If I am going to piggy back the unit through say the headlights or indicators, would I need to increase the fuse size to compensate for the extra power needed?

Here are the power specs of the unit that I have:

*Input Voltage: 12V-30V

* Output Voltage: 5V

* Output Current: 2.1A

Any help on this would be great.

Cheers in advance.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Hi R3 fans,

I am currently thinking about installing a usb charger for my iPhone onto my R3 for navigation reasons.
So I thought I would jump on here to ask you all about idea's and or best practices on how to install or wire in a charger.
Im not sparky savvy when it comes to selecting the right fuse strength etc but I am pretty good with wiring bits up.
I already have a unit prewired but with no fuse attached. If I am going to piggy back the unit through say the headlights or indicators, would I need to increase the fuse size to compensate for the extra power needed?

Here are the power specs of the unit that I have:

*Input Voltage: 12V-30V

* Output Voltage: 5V

* Output Current: 2.1A

Any help on this would be great.

Cheers in advance.

I did something similar to Thumper. I installed a Battery Tender and the break-away portion of the cable sits just behind the fairing on the left side of the bike. When the bike is in storage, that's where I hook my tender up to. During the riding season, I tap in there with a 12v Battery Tender socket. Mine is installed just under the speedo cluster and the wires are all tucked behind the fairings. This way, I can mount my phone in a Ram mount and charge while riding. I use one of these which allows for two devices to be plugged in, in case my GoPro battery is running low. It has a few other little functions as well.
https://www.amazon.com/nonda-Charge...UTF8&qid=1486994818&sr=8-1&keywords=Nonda+Zus

·
Registered
195 Posts
I agree. I currently have a USB also installed. I wrapped the positive wire around one of the fuses. I would have to check and see exactly what I did. But I put that USB charger since it came with my Chinese ram mount

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts