Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding 31 years. No tickets, no accidents. For full coverage, I insured a ZRX1200r for $100 a year. For a 2012 Versys 650, it only cost $200 a year. I'm with Allstate and have my homeowners, car and motorcycle policies with them. When I bought the r3, they wanted $450 a year to cover the r3 with full coverage. WTF? I can get coverage for a 1200 cc monster for $100 a year and it costs $450 for a 321 cc bike? I called Geico and it was even worse by a $1000. I finally called progressive and got a reasonable rate. At 47 with 31 years riding experience with no tix or accidents, I didn't expect to be raped over a 321cc bike.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I've been riding 31 years. No tickets, no accidents. For full coverage, I insured a ZRX1200r for $100 a year. For a 2012 Versys 650, it only cost $200 a year. I'm with Allstate and have my homeowners, car and motorcycle policies with them. When I bought the r3, they wanted $450 a year to cover the r3 with full coverage. WTF? I can get coverage for a 1200 cc monster for $100 a year and it costs $450 for a 321 cc bike? I called Geico and it was even worse by a $1000. I finally called progressive and got a reasonable rate. At 47 with 31 years riding experience with no tix or accidents, I didn't expect to be raped over a 321cc bike.
Raped? Easy there, champ.

Yamaha classifies the R3 as a supersport, so a lot of companies' algorithms just automatically jack up the price. Shop around and you'll be fine. I'm 22 and paying $225/year full coverage with American Family.

Also, make sure you actually call up an agent. I quoted myself online w/ Progressive and they quoted me like $1400 a year. Called them up and it was like $400 a year, lol. The online generators are sometimes bullshit.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Try STATE FARM.
They usually have better rates for motorcycles than the other companies.
They don't jack-up the price just because it's a "sportbike".

AMERICAN FAMILY is another company that is known to have good rates for motorcycles.

·
Registered
82 Posts
UH...Somethings wrong with that number....It does vary by state though. I'm in NC / Charlotte area.

I've got 4 bikes through Progressive and I pay about that much for an entire year on all of them. They didn't ask what 'kind' of bike...just CC of engine. The R3 and V Star 250 are very cheap by their charts because they're not 'big bikes' as the customer service rep said. She also had them as 'recreational' not 'main transport' which cut the rate. Frankly I was amazed at how cheap it is....I guess NOT getting tickets all those years paid off (knock wood).

2015 Vstar 250 (wife bikes - she's NEVER ridden till this year. 35 years no tickets in cars) - $122 FULL COVERAGE for year
2015 R3 (mine - 34 years of riding and no tickets) $124 FULL COVERAGE for year
2006 Vstar 650 (son - 20 years old) liability only $154 for year (young and he has a single 2 point ticket that comes off this year)
1980 Suzuki GS550 (everyone's - run to the store bike) Liability only $100 year

They all have $500 deductible (never had a 'cheap' motorcycle accident).
Progressive was way cheaper than anyone even Central who has all my cars and house...

Jay

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm on Geico and am most certainly not getting raped.

Try shopping around some more and/or calling up some agents. My Geico quotes were definitely higher online than they were when I called.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Another vote for State Farm. But even they were a little high until I shamed them with another company's rate. It pays to send an "are you sure that's the rate?" email to your local agent every now and then ;).

·
Registered
290 Posts
I was in the same boat as you. You have to abandon the notion of being loyal to your insurance provider (lol) and shop around for just that one bike. You will get a prorated refund when you cancel your existing R3 policy.

Reactions: skids

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up going with Progressive. I paid $370 for full coverage on both of my bikes. The r3 portion of that was only $260. I was on the phone with all of the companies. Geico was by far the most expensive at $1,700 a year. The guy told me it was because the r3 was ridden by a lot of beginner riders and they made a lot of claims. Who knows if that's it or not, I'm just happy to find something I can live with.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
Pfft - you guys got it made! Insurance in Canada is the land of rape and more rape. My rate is 189 PER MONTH for the 300 cc. When I called around, the pricing is all similar. Mind you I'm classified as a 'new' rider so the rates will be going down next year but still. I have a clean driving record and I'm in my 40's so I really wasn't expecting to get so screwed by my insurance rates. And that rate is WITH a discount for having auto and home too.

But auto insurance is the same thing. We pay $100 a month for one car (2011 mini van) and another $69 for our 'occasional use' summer fun car. It's just crazy.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I ended up going with Progressive. I paid $370 for full coverage on both of my bikes. The r3 portion of that was only $260. I was on the phone with all of the companies. Geico was by far the most expensive at $1,700 a year. The guy told me it was because the r3 was ridden by a lot of beginner riders and they made a lot of claims. Who knows if that's it or not, I'm just happy to find something I can live with.
Yeah, if that's the case, they need to look at the actual rider in question. I had the same issue. I have a local insurance company and pay like $500 a year and some change. Of course, I live in NY, which causes a markup.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Pfft - you guys got it made! Insurance in Canada is the land of rape and more rape.
I'll second that, you guys in the US should move to Canada, stay here for a bit and then move back and you'd be glad to be back to your rates. :)
Last year I was paying $2k a year for minivan and $1.2k for R3.
This year R3 went down to $600 a year so not that bad for these parts.
I'm 33, clean record, live on outskirts of Toronto.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would totally move to Canada! Have you seen what's going on down here? If we could get jobs there, I wouldn't think twice about leaving.

·
Super Moderator
1,308 Posts
I suspect vehicle insurance companies randomly throws big prices out there, hoping you are too lazy/uninformed to shop elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
I would totally move to Canada! Have you seen what's going on down here? If we could get jobs there, I wouldn't think twice about leaving.
You mean about the Donald? lmao Well, I have to say it is quite amusing to watch it from up here but remember...if he wins, we all have to deal with him so get out there and vote!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was just talking more about the general state of things. I didn't mean to start up a political discussion. There's enough vitriol on fb when it comes to American politics. It just divides people. I like having a place to come and talk about our common love for our bikes.

·
Registered
406 Posts
£125 full comp but then i am an old git with a clean licence (they must think we slow down and are more carefull when we get older.little do they know hehe)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts