Insurance method-----Price/year---Type of coverage
Intact insurance---- $16,000--- Full
Local Broker---- $4000---- Full
Rider-Plus---- $3500----Full
State-Farm: Laughed and said nope
Allstate: Laughed and said nope
RBC: Laughed and said nope
A few others: Nope

Yes I understand why so few will take me, just thought this was kind of hilarious. Might as well just finance my Dad a new Lamborghini with that :laugh:

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
LOL...I've heard you guys have some ridiculous insurance prices in Canada. Some of the guys on the zx6r forum said the same.

Not to add insult to injury, but I just insured my R3 today...$124 a year with $500 deductible! lol....I laughed at how cheap it was. Granted mine is not street legal so I don't have liability on it, but I do have full coverage (collision/comprehensive) in case it gets stolen, or wrecked while in the trailer. That's with State Farm by the way. It's cheaper when you're over 25, but even when I was 22 and bought a brand new Ducati 1198, my insurance was still only about $70-75/month which I thought was pretty decent for a $16k bike and a single, 22-year old male :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL...I've heard you guys have some ridiculous insurance prices in Canada. Some of the guys on the zx6r forum said the same.

Not to add insult to injury, but I just insured my R3 today...$124 a year with $500 deductible! lol....I laughed at how cheap it was. Granted mine is not street legal so I don't have liability on it, but I do have full coverage (collision/comprehensive) in case it gets stolen, or wrecked while in the trailer. That's with State Farm by the way. It's cheaper when you're over 25, but even when I was 22 and bought a brand new Ducati 1198, my insurance was still only about $70-75/month which I thought was pretty decent for a $16k bike and a single, 22-year old male :D
You make me cry my friend. Deep down inside I feel the pain haha. Proud of ya though on that 1198, she is beauty

·
Registered
732 Posts
In the world of today's tech, data science and alogorithm's you'd think they'd have insurance quotes hashed out to an exact science. I think not. I think insurance companies sometimes "blanket" a bike or segment. They think it's a "beginner bike" and who rides a beginner bike? Yup. A beginner. That's why I hate the moniker. It's a lightweight supersport. Half or more of the riders here are seasoned riders or racers. I think they think you're a bike noob ready to drive into a wall. Here's my advice, take a safety course and get a quote in person. You can explain mitigating factors like experience, etc that should help get your quote down.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yeah sometimes insurance companies quotes are way off base and inaccurate. There's been at least 6 different occassions shopping for auto insurance in the U.S. where I've been quoted over $5,000-$8,000 per YEAR for a driver over 25, no acccidents, no tickets and two vehicles (both mazda's, not maserati's).

On a few of those occassions I even received calls from the auto insurer's local agent's who said that rate is absolutely insane and absurd, but alas they couldn't actually change anything about it. Gotta love technology, it's here to help but nobody gives their people the power to fix mistakes when they happen!

I insured my R3 for $400/yr in the U.S. - brand new rider with MSF endorsement for a 300/300 policy (umbrella requirement) with $500 deductibles (only a buck difference). For the amount the cheap ones want to charge you to insure the R3, you could just buy another one... lol

·
Registered
139 Posts
Went with a company called Aviva from my broker. 1st year insurance was $99/month. Now, second year in, it dropped to $59/month.
That's here in Ontario.
Mind you, I have my full M and full G, and, ahem.. age on my side.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I insured my R3 for $400/yr in the U.S. - brand new rider with MSF endorsement for a 300/300 policy (umbrella requirement) with $500 deductibles (only a buck difference). For the amount the cheap ones want to charge you to insure the R3, you could just buy another one... lol
What company, may I ask?

And to OP, I think some companies give a super inflated rate instead of directly saying "we won't insure you." It's really a win-win for them, most likely you aren't going to take the insurance (the desired outcome) and if you do they get a **** ton of money from you. When I was quoting around for insurance on my R3 Geico quoted me over $9000, three times higher than any other quote I received (which was already far too high to entertain). I've seen similar things happen when quoting around for my car insurance.

·
Registered
346 Posts
What company, may I ask?

And to OP, I think some companies give a super inflated rate instead of directly saying "we won't insure you." It's really a win-win for them, most likely you aren't going to take the insurance (the desired outcome) and if you do they get a **** ton of money from you. When I was quoting around for insurance on my R3 Geico quoted me over $9000, three times higher than any other quote I received (which was already far too high to entertain). I've seen similar things happen when quoting around for my car insurance.

You're 100% correct, insurance companies will purposely over-inflate because it's easier than dealing with the possible legal recourse of not wanting to insure someone. In the U.S. people are too likely to try and sue about some dumb **** like, you denied me coverage because I'm old etc etc so they'd rather price hike to tell you no.

Geico quoted me something like $800 a year which was silly, I went with progressive - I really am not a fan of progressive from the past but they were the best price hands down. I keep meaning to call state farm as per the numerous suggestions here but keep forgetting. My normal insurer (Amica) doesn't do motorcycle coverage in NC unfortunately and they also recommended I use progressive :( .

Seeing some of these quotes is entertainingly hilarious - I used to have a 97 z28 camaro heavily modified running mid 11's on the 1/4. It was expensive back when I was 18 (yep first car) and I still only paid ~260 per month which is low compared to some of the quotes you guys are getting which is a joke.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You're 100% correct, insurance companies will purposely over-inflate because it's easier than dealing with the possible legal recourse of not wanting to insure someone. In the U.S. people are too likely to try and sue about some dumb **** like, you denied me coverage because I'm old etc etc so they'd rather price hike to tell you no.

Geico quoted me something like $800 a year which was silly, I went with progressive - I really am not a fan of progressive from the past but they were the best price hands down. I keep meaning to call state farm as per the numerous suggestions here but keep forgetting. My normal insurer (Amica) doesn't do motorcycle coverage in NC unfortunately and they also recommended I use progressive :( .

Seeing some of these quotes is entertainingly hilarious - I used to have a 97 z28 camaro heavily modified running mid 11's on the 1/4. It was expensive back when I was 18 (yep first car) and I still only paid ~260 per month which is low compared to some of the quotes you guys are getting which is a joke.
I would also take a look at dairyland. My lowest quote by far for pretty decent coverage options. They were hundreds lower than the nearest quote for 100/300/100, full liability, collision, and comprehensive coverage, $5000 gear coverage, etc. Connecticut also offers conversion coverage on um/uim insurance that allows me to collect the max limits from both insurance companies if necessary so I have that as well (which added a considerable amount, about 250/y). Overall I'm looking at around 1250/y which I think makes sense for my demographic, young 20's male who hasn't previously had a motorcycle policy.

Progressive was actually my next choice but they were higher priced for lower limits (and that's with the USAA discount they offer)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I take it that most of you guys have been riding for a time. I think companies should start considering the younger riders more often, perhaps have an insurer that specializes in that. To have to wait till 25 for a reasonable quote would be some of the darkest days of my life ha!

Some people my age just bit the bullet and went with the $3-4k for their first year, guess that's just my luck

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I take it that most of you guys have been riding for a time. I think companies should start considering the younger riders more often, perhaps have an insurer that specializes in that. To have to wait till 25 for a reasonable quote would be some of the darkest days of my life ha!

Some people my age just bit the bullet and went with the $3-4k for their first year, guess that's just my luck
I think location is a lot more important than age. My insurance was never anywhere near that ridiculous on any vehicle I've owned even before 25. My first bike ever was a ZZR600 that I got when I was 21 and I had full coverage and liability on it and it cost me somewhere around $30/month. After I turned 25, my total insurance (for all vehicles) dropped by about 30%. So it's not like it's going to drop by a factor of 5-10 or something insane. If you're being quoted $4k a year now, even when you're 25 it'll still be outrageous.

I say just move lol...not like you have a long riding season in Canada anyway! ;)

·
Registered
732 Posts

Geico quoted me something like $800 a year which was silly, I went with progressive - I really am not a fan of progressive from the past but they were the best price hands down. I keep meaning to call state farm as per the numerous suggestions here but keep forgetting. My normal insurer (Amica) doesn't do motorcycle coverage in NC unfortunately and they also recommended I use progressive

I would also take a look at dairyland. My lowest quote by far for pretty decent coverage options. They were hundreds lower than the nearest quote for 100/300/100, full liability, collision, and comprehensive coverage, $5000 gear coverage, etc. Connecticut also offers conversion coverage on um/uim insurance that allows me to collect the max limits from both insurance companies if necessary so I have that as well (which added a considerable amount, about 250/y). Overall I'm looking at around 1250/y which I think makes sense for my demographic, young 20's male who hasn't previously had a motorcycle policy.

Progressive was actually my next choice but they were higher priced for lower limits (and that's with the USAA discount they offer)
Yeah I use Dairyland. I'm a vet and use USAA but they stupidly only insure new bikes for some reason. I bought my 2015 R3 in Oct 2015 after the owner rode it for 700 miles, so I couldnt use USAA. I tried equotes foe Geico, Progressive, etc and was stunned. I sold my Piaggio Fly 150 scooter and 03 Homda CBR600RR when I bought the R3 to streamline and cut down on things and basically combined my motorcycle ride and convenience of the scooter into 1 ride instead of paying for 2 two wheeled vehicles and a car. The motorcycle dealer got me the Dairyland quite and was pleasantly surprised with the price and service. Ergo I went with them for my R3 and never looked back. My full coverage is like 600 and some change a year.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think location is a lot more important than age. My insurance was never anywhere near that ridiculous on any vehicle I've owned even before 25. My first bike ever was a ZZR600 that I got when I was 21 and I had full coverage and liability on it and it cost me somewhere around $30/month. After I turned 25, my total insurance (for all vehicles) dropped by about 30%. So it's not like it's going to drop by a factor of 5-10 or something insane. If you're being quoted $4k a year now, even when you're 25 it'll still be outrageous.

I say just move lol...not like you have a long riding season in Canada anyway! ;)
It's Canada. I see tons of posts on Reddit criticizing the high insurance costs in Canada.

Personally I live in a higher crime rate area so I know that inflates mine

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great news! Got a quote from Dalton Timmis and another from Aviva insurance!! By the way things are going I think I am going to snatch that up as fast as I can.

$2200/yr or $183/month
$1million liability
$1000 deductable on comprehensive and collision (Full coverage)

There is always a silver lining~
Now like sbk1198 said, next goal is to move out of this country of overly friendly people.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
I think part of the reason our rates are higher is simple - fewer people = greater risk. In the US, there are a lot more people which means that insurance companies risk is spread out more.

FWIW, I'm 46 and obviously had my full G for years. I'm paying 86 / month for my insurance through Intact. I may have to call Dalton Timmis just to see.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think part of the reason our rates are higher is simple - fewer people = greater risk. In the US, there are a lot more people which means that insurance companies risk is spread out more.

FWIW, I'm 46 and obviously had my full G for years. I'm paying 86 / month for my insurance through Intact. I may have to call Dalton Timmis just to see.
You guys don't pay crazy car insurance rates though do you?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts