Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm a long time rider who is currently looking at buying an R3. I've had many types of bikes over the years and find myself wanting something light, nimble and fun and the R3 looks like it will fit the bill.

I'm wondering if the R3 has alternator capacity to run a Warm and Safe heated jacket, an essential piece of equipment in the eastern Ontario climate. My heated jacket extends my riding season by about 3 months so I'm really hoping I can use it with this bike.

I'm hoping someone can answer this - I've googled to no avail!

Stephanie

·
Registered
460 Posts
I run Venture Heat Jacket liner, pants liner and glove liners on medium high with no problem. Makes riding very comfortable down to 30F. Most of theses new world bikes have chaging outputs in the 325W range so they will handle this much load with no issues. The clothing is regulated so that if the voltage starts to drop below 12V the heat output and current draw is naturally diminished so even if you are running in the rain on full high for hours, the heat output may drop but you won't end up with a dead battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, if you can run all that gear I should be fine. My last bike was a Suzuki DR650 and I had no issues with it until I ran the jacket on full with the highbeam on. We were able to bumpstart it fortunately.

I see you are just south of me. Similar riding season.

Thanks for the info!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts