1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fitted iridium spark plugs?
What type are you using?

Taking the fairing off seems to be a little awkward on this bike,
So I'd like to change to iridium plugs and forget about them.

·
Registered
717 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
What brand does the factory use? Also curious why autolite over let's say NGK?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yamaha doesn't have the R3 owner's manual online yet but the FZ-07 for example does have a ridiculously short interval of 8,000 miles or 1 year. I might take a peak at mine at 8,000 but that will be several years on this bike. Even though I commute 16,000 miles per year on my CBR250R. 25k on that bike, and 18 on my PCX. Guess I should check the plugs on those.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
How long are the original plugs supposed to last?
Manual says "replace at 7,000 miles or 12 months and thereafter every 6,000 miles or 12 months".

I've personally never heard of a spark plug deteriorating while the bike is sitting idle, so that "every 12 months" thing is a puzzler!

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
Can someone post up the compatible part number(s)? Since I'm in Canada, it makes it harder to get everything so if I can source it locally that would be ideal.

Is the stock plug a Copper or Silver tip? I was thinking that would be the only reason to replace it after only a year. I'd like to get at least a Platinum tipped plug but I know sometimes its tricky to get the same heat range.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Can someone post up the compatible part number(s)? Since I'm in Canada, it makes it harder to get everything so if I can source it locally that would be ideal.

Is the stock plug a Copper or Silver tip? I was thinking that would be the only reason to replace it after only a year. I'd like to get at least a Platinum tipped plug but I know sometimes its tricky to get the same heat range.
The original is NGK CR8E or #1275 . Has a copper core and nickel tip. Hope this helps you source in your area.

Randy

·
Registered
24 Posts
Manual says "replace at 7,000 miles or 12 months and thereafter every 6,000 miles or 12 months".

I've personally never heard of a spark plug deteriorating while the bike is sitting idle, so that "every 12 months" thing is a puzzler!
I'm surprised by the short plug replacement intervals too. I purchased two NGK CR8EIX plugs recently and will install them next season, but will likely have them in the bike for at least a few years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure what people are talking about but I saw people talk about this CR8EIX so I got two and it doesn't fit cause the top part where put the plug wire over it doesn't fit. This is my 2015 R3 and the other plug in my hand is the stock one I just took out

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts