1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fitted iridium spark plugs?
What type are you using?

Taking the fairing off seems to be a little awkward on this bike,
So I'd like to change to iridium plugs and forget about them.

·
Registered
717 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yamaha doesn't have the R3 owner's manual online yet but the FZ-07 for example does have a ridiculously short interval of 8,000 miles or 1 year. I might take a peak at mine at 8,000 but that will be several years on this bike. Even though I commute 16,000 miles per year on my CBR250R. 25k on that bike, and 18 on my PCX. Guess I should check the plugs on those.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Can someone post up the compatible part number(s)? Since I'm in Canada, it makes it harder to get everything so if I can source it locally that would be ideal.

Is the stock plug a Copper or Silver tip? I was thinking that would be the only reason to replace it after only a year. I'd like to get at least a Platinum tipped plug but I know sometimes its tricky to get the same heat range.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Can someone post up the compatible part number(s)? Since I'm in Canada, it makes it harder to get everything so if I can source it locally that would be ideal.

Is the stock plug a Copper or Silver tip? I was thinking that would be the only reason to replace it after only a year. I'd like to get at least a Platinum tipped plug but I know sometimes its tricky to get the same heat range.
The original is NGK CR8E or #1275 . Has a copper core and nickel tip. Hope this helps you source in your area.

Randy

·
Registered
24 Posts
Manual says "replace at 7,000 miles or 12 months and thereafter every 6,000 miles or 12 months".

I've personally never heard of a spark plug deteriorating while the bike is sitting idle, so that "every 12 months" thing is a puzzler!
I'm surprised by the short plug replacement intervals too. I purchased two NGK CR8EIX plugs recently and will install them next season, but will likely have them in the bike for at least a few years.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.