Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I purchased the Akrapovic Full exhaust and am looking to install this weekend. The stock exhaust is just too quiet...all I hear is engine all the time.

The directions have torque settings for specific bolts.

However watching several R3 exhaust installs online including the one by SportBikeGear...no one is using a torque wrench. Just tightening by hand and feel.

For others who have installed full systems...should I buy a torque wrench? A good one is fairly costly so would like to avoid spending the money if it's not really a necessity.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you have an acute understanding of how different fasteners work, then you can probably skip the torque wrench and tighten by feel like the professionals in some of the online installation videos although it's always best to follow spec. Because you're asking this question, you're probably not not there, and should get a torque wrench.

You don't need a top-of-the-line torque wrench to get the job done. I bought a highly rated 1/4" drive one off Amazon for less than $40 and my 1/2" drive one was only a bit more expensive. Taking care of a torque wrench (namely by never using it to loosen things and storing it at the lowest setting) will make it go a long way in holding an accurate calibration.

·
Registered
433 Posts
torque wrench + factory service manual is a must for every motorcycle owner!

·
Registered
197 Posts
torque wrench + factory service manual is a must for every motorcycle owner!
+1.
Almost as important as plastic wrap, rim tape, and led accent lights. >:D
Seriously. If you are going to do your own wrenching, do it properly.
Stripped threads can be as much $$$ as the torque wrench + manual.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Sears usually has sales on their craftsman torque wrenches for $39.99. For that price they are nice to have.

Reactions: Decon blue

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'll go ahead and buy a torque wrench.
I'm totally clueless about this stuff.

Question about the O2 sensor. What would I need to use to torque set the O2 Sensor bolt? The Akra instructions say to use a torque wrench.
But since it's attached on one side to some wiring, it looks like combination socket wrench is the only thing that would fit.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I'll go ahead and buy a torque wrench.

I'm totally clueless about this stuff.

Question about the O2 sensor. What would I need to use to torque set the O2 Sensor bolt? The Akra instructions say to use a torque wrench.

But since it's attached on one side to some wiring, it looks like combination socket wrench is the only thing that would fit.
@dreamtheater one of my favorite bands! Sorry, I don't have much to contribute. I just had to bring it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
856 Posts
Yep,
antiseize all fasteners,
Install working from front to rear,
Rotate muffler to its correct alignment looking from rear.
leave everything 80% tensioned,
start bike,
idle to operating temp,
Tension from front (header studs) to rear.

Stops future leaks and cracks and allows parts to settle in their operating position.
Remember exhausts 'grow' as they heat and cool down.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Some auto parts stores rent out torque wrenches if you want it for a one time thing.

I wouldn't touch a bolt on my bike unless it was torqued to spec.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies and tips.

Is it ok or recommended to use BOTH bolt sealant and anti-seize on the threads together?
Akra provides Anti-seize, but no bolt sealant.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Yep,
antiseize all fasteners,
Install working from front to rear,
Rotate muffler to its correct alignment looking from rear.
leave everything 80% tensioned,
start bike,
idle to operating temp,
Tension from front (header studs) to rear.

Stops future leaks and cracks and allows parts to settle in their operating position.
Remember exhausts 'grow' as they heat and cool down.
I agree with both sides. You should have a torque wrench and manual. But you can also get by without it. You can "feel" the tightness for things like rearsets, slider spools, etc which usually require 12-16 ft lbs and also more vital bolt areas like the exhaust header bolts which can be like 26. If you're experienced, you'lll know when you're cranking down too hard. The header area is cramped and difficult to finagle around it with a torque wrench.

When doing the headers, you should definitely let it run for 15-20 min, and check the bolts. Then check them again after going for successive rides maybe 2-3 times. But without a t-wrench, tread carefully. IMAO, it's better to tighten a little loose and check it, and tighten afterwards, then torquing it down, bending the flanges, stripping bolts, etc and getting into that nightmare. Personally, I wouldn't Loctite the header bolts save for the ends which makes a kind of "safety end."

Just my opinion. Make sure you have the compulsory chemicals and lubes you'll need too: WD-40, contact cleaner, brake cleaner, Anti-seize, grease, etc. To me, one of the worst things is having all the tools and parts you need, only to have your project stalled by missing some kind of lube or chemical you need. Sometimes, some good motorcycle lubes are not available conveniently nearby.:)

·
Registered
810 Posts
Thanks for the replies and tips.

Is it ok or recommended to use BOTH bolt sealant and anti-seize on the threads together?
Akra provides Anti-seize, but no bolt sealant.
I wouldn't do this. The bolt sealant won't set up because of the anti-seize. So no point in using it.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I wouldn't do this. The bolt sealant won't set up because of the anti-seize. So no point in using it.
Yeah manI agree with CapitalView. Don't want them to mingle. I have an Akrapovic SS Full Exhaust. The anti-seize is for the O2 sensor. IIRC, the Akrapovic install manual doesn't even stipulate Loctite on the header bolts. You can put some on the tips to act as a safety "lock."

If you torque it down 26 lb lbs, you'll be good to go. Again, just tighten down to spec, run it 30 minutes and check bolts, then go on two rides: one 30, and one 60 min, and check the bolts after each one. If there are no issues, you should be good to go.

Two points: "medium" Loctite (242 I thiink?) isn't temp rated for that area I do not believe, but don't quote me. Secondly, the torque specs fasten it sufficiently without bolt sealant. When you want to remove headers with Loctite, it'll truly be a bitch, increase chances of stripping, etc. I used Loctite on my kickstand foot shoe, some bolts on my rearsets like the spring latch bolt and rear brake fastener bolt, and other high vibration, exposed, and vulnerable bolt areas.

Akrapovic full exhaust installation manual (.pdf):)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just buy a Tekton Torque Wrench on Amazon its pretty affordable and has great reviews. Or buy a Husky Torque wrench on the homedepot so you can easily exchange it if it breaks. The Tekton pays for return shipping if I remember correctly. Or buy craftsman if you have some more money/want better quality.

Keep in mind, since you are installing it yourself you are already saving $100-200. Might as well put that towards a $35-50 torque wrench. This will ensure you do not strip and bolts and damage things that will make you spend more money in the long run. AND this torque wrench can be used with other mods.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts