Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know if anyone out there has swapped their crank for a 270 degree crank since the 180 degree crank that's stock with the r3 kind of sounds like a lawnmower, I know that you would need a custom ECU map and that you might have to order custom parts it's probably going to cost a button (if anyone knows what that is please reply to this thread) but want I want to know is if it's possible and what the benefits would be, I know that 270 cross plane parallel twins make more torque down low (from my limited research) but that main reason to why I'm thinking about this mod is because of the XSR 700 that think sounds soo f**ing good, if it's not possible or financially feasible how about a XSR 700 swap ?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Not possible. The dimensions are all different - cylinder spacing, main and rod journal diameters, stroke length, etc.

More stuff is different: Counterbalance shaft, camshafts, ECU programming also have the firing intervals built into them.

If you want an XSR700 then buy one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not possible. The dimensions are all different - cylinder spacing, main and rod journal diameters, stroke length, etc.

More stuff is different: Counterbalance shaft, camshafts, ECU programming also have the firing intervals built into them.

If you want an XSR700 then buy one.
I don't want an xsr I just want the sound of it I love the r3's look and I'll be doing some track days with mine but is it possible down the line to swap the R3's engine with an xsr 700 ?
Ps: you've replied to my previous discussion and I asked you if you had discord but you never got back

·
Super Moderator
1,108 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
From what I've read, probably not going to be available in the US. If my conversions are close, and I wont guarantee they are, the Ninja ZX25R would have an MSRP of US $6500 upwards to $8000. That's a pretty hard sale for US with our "Mine's Bigger Than Yours" mentality.
But, I have a link below for the latest news I've seen for the 2021 Ninja ZX25R.
2021 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-25R Launched In Indonesia, Specifications Revealed (carandbike.com)
I would pay $6-6.5K for it. Gladly

·
Registered
195 Posts
If my conversions are close, and I wont guarantee they are, the Ninja ZX25R would have an MSRP of US $6500 upwards to $8000.
They considered selling it here in NZ. However, I was told the MSRP was going to be around $14,000, which is around US$10,000.

Even over here, with a roading system that suits smaller displacement bikes, that is a very hard sell. (The R3 cost me $7,100, brand new, at a post-lockdown sale. I could put Ohlins suspension and lighter wheels on my R3 and still have some cash left over compared with buying a ZX25R.)

That said, if they ever re-released a proper IL4 or V4 400 class bike, I couldn't get my hands on one fast enough, almost regardless of the price.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
303 Posts
They considered selling it here in NZ. However, I was told the MSRP was going to be around $14,000, which is around US$10,000.
I was seriously considering buying one as an upgrade to my R3 as I'm not interested in large displacement bikes. The RRP is $15,990 NZD (plus on-roads) and I would have needed to sell my R3 and wait for the ZX to arrive which is why I didn't go ahead

In the end, there weren't enough initial preorders to make it viable for them to ship them to NZ from Japan, and the second round of preorders didn't hit the target either. I understand there are no longer any rounds of pre-orders.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts