Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been quoted at $6400 OTD while trading in my V star 250 2013 with 7xxxx miles on it for $2700 while I owe $2800 on it. Blue book value is around $1800. Is it worth it to get the r3 at that price (only dealership I can find with it in stock)? Ive been riding for 4+ years and have had the v star and ninja 250.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would be paying the 6400 and getting my v star paid off by them. Thats what I've been thinking too hence why I didnt sign for it. I think the $2700 trade in is good but i figure I might as well pick up a 600/650 if its going to be that much

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
At this point in the season, $5400. OTD with NO trade in would be a reasonable deal. You're underwater on the other bike (owe 2,800 but only worth 1,800), the dealership will take full advantage of you. The dealership is playing it's hand well.

Look at it this way. You trade in your v-star (worth $1800 if you sold it out-right) and still PAY $6400 OTD. right?

So you will pay $6400 + $1800 = $8,200 for a $5,400 bike. BAD DEAL.

Ok, second scenario, you trade in your v-star for $2,700 and they subtract that off your OTD price? (which I doubt). You pay $3,700 for the bike OTD with trade. GOOD DEAL.

The bank has the title for your V-Star right? Or is it a personal loan? If the bank has your title (probably does) the dealership will screw you into a trade-in.

If it's a personal loan (I doubt it is) you can sell the bike and take the $1000. loss. Then go in and negotiate a $5,400 OTD price with no trade in. GOOD DEAL because even with the $1000. loss, you are still only paying $6,400 for the bike (including YOUR $1000. loss).

If the BANK has your title, the dealership will try to screw you. You cant sell the bike outright because, no title. Dealership knows this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Question, how would I be paying $8200 if they are going to buy the bike for the amount I still owe on it? Wouldn't I just be paying the 6400?

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Ok, so you get the bike AND they take care of your $2,800. loan. That doesn't sound too bad.

+$6,400 (R-3)
-$2,800 (they are taking care of your V-Star loan)
+$1,800 (bikes true value)

=$5,400 OTD

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The way I see it, and I am not experienced with sales etc so please enlighten me if there is something I'm missing, is that i would trade in my v star and instead of having to lose that $1000 (from the $2800) by only selling it for $1800 they would take what i owe and pretty much cancel it. Transferring me from having to pay off my v star, to now having to pay off the r3 for 6400. Im lost as to how that would add up to $8200 but if there us something I'm missing please inform me. Thanks for everything so far

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 2700 is all they are offering me which would cancel out the loan but that still leaves me at $6400 for the price, not 5400. Since the trade in value they are giving me is only enough to cancel the loan.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
($8,200) I was thinking $6,400 after the loan, never mind.

You are paying $6,400 for the 2015 R-3.

You are paying $1,800 giving them a V-Star.

They are paying off a $2,700 loan.

You will pay a total $5,500 OTD. Not a bad deal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I see what your saying, so even though I will be having a $6400 loan now (which I plan to pay off quickly this time) I am really paying around $5500 because of the $1000 extra above KBB value they are giving me to pay off the loan.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Yes, funny math. You'll pay $6,400 for the bike ($1000. too much) but they will return it to you by paying $2,700 for your V-Star ($1000. too much).

So they will deal you a 2015 R-3 for $5,500 and make a profit and turn around and sell your V-Star for $2,200 and make a profit.

But, overall, not a bad deal for you being in the hole on a 250cc V-Star. I wouldn't want to be there!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks John for taking the time to help! Its very helpful to put things into perspective. Thats one reason I am now definitely considering this, as I just found out today how much the v star has depreciated in value. I feel that if I don't take the offer, the next $1000 i pay off on this v star loan will be lost and thats IF I can sell it for 1800. So all the more reason for me to get the R3

·
Registered
254 Posts
I would just do it and get it over with. I got my bike $7800 OTD but I got all the gear. Yoshimura R3 slip on- Oil gallon Yamalube_ -helmet- pants- boots- Jacket- gloves- Air filter -oil filter- key chain- Yamaha Backpack- sliders- T-shirt-free tank of gas lol. and a couple keys and a manual. Oh and the Extended Warranty for those unexpected things.

·
Registered
227 Posts
it's not a bad number at all. Being OTD still way under the msrp
And even with the bike you paid it off and sell it privatel you would need alot more time to get it sold for matching similar deal(buying a used r3 for 5k etc, NOT new)
that's the problem of bike it's not as easy to sell as compared to a common car like civic/camry with high resale value. Dealership will screw you in any possible way

·
Registered
254 Posts
I would just do it and get it over with. I got my bike $7800 OTD but I got all the gear. Yoshimura R3 slip on- Oil gallon Yamalube_ -helmet- pants- boots- Jacket- gloves- Air filter -oil filter- key chain- Yamaha Backpack- sliders- T-shirt-free tank of gas lol. and a couple keys and a manual. Oh and the Extended Warranty for those expected things.
I'm paying this R3 off in 6 Months @ 1299.90 per month. I can really enjoy the Bike Now. I'm not worrying about the Money. The Enjoyment of the bike is well worth it. If in the future I decide to trade up for more power I will have the pink slip. I'm really enjoying this light bike, just going to keep it and enjoy the Zen bike rides away from the wife and kids.
PS there's a min payment of $78.00 per month on my bill. and a beware if I pay the minimum. I will pay over $19,000 in interest. And I'll be dead from old age or in a retirement home.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Just make sure you and the dealer are clear on who is paying what. Just because we all did some math on this forum does not mean its what is going to happen.

If your true OTD (as in, I hand you some money, you hand me some forms to sign and keys, I go home) is $6400 after the trade in, and they are paying off the rest of the loan, I would say that is still expensive, but then again have never paid above MSRP on any brand new bike I have purchased. Dont always follow KBB. Here in SoCal, KBB and actual market are very different. I use craigslist to get a price average of whatever bike I am about to sell.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts