Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from London,
I have been an owner of the R3 for about 6 months, but I never done a longer ride than 100 miles (160 km) in one go. But what about 1300 miles? (2080 km)

I am planning to go from London to Lithuania in mid June next year. That would be a long trip through 3-4 countries which I think would take around 6-8 days.

I just wonder if R3 is really capable of doing this. It probably is as almost any other bike but because I never done these kind of long trips before, I just want to get an advice from people who did. Is it even worth thinking about it or should I just take this idea out of my head and buy a plane ticket. :D

Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
169 Posts
The question isnt can the R3 handle it, it is can you handle it on a R3. The R3 is generally toted as a "cute" intro bike into the sport bike world. You have to give yamaha some respect as they went through a great deal of engineering and modification to produce such a bike. This is not your standard 300CC level bike. You should be able to travel the world in your R3, weather and road permitting. The only problems you come into will be comfort of riding (maybe buy a better seat than stock), other drivers on the road. Ive taken a 2 hour trip and it wasnt that bad, however im 24 and young and willing to be doing such things. If you took breaks in between due to rider fatigue you should be fine. I would say its worth thinking about if you want to become one with your bike. You will learn a great deal about the bike. It would be better to ride with someone for numerous of obvious reasons but really the choice is yours. A plane is a plane and a bike is a bike. Comes down to what you feel like doing, i wouldnt if the weather is cold and bad.

·
Registered
856 Posts
2000km is about 20 hrs on any roadbike over 125cc.

ask yourself if You can do it.

I did 1350km in a day on a cbr250 with the final 500km of it WOT in under 4 hrs, that was easy.
and its nothing on the Iron butt guy that rode Sydney>Perth>Sydney (about 8000km) in 96 hrs total.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I bougt this small bike to travle all over europe in summer time
Figured it to be a bit diffrent way to spendt the summers over here
Not yet made up how much traverling i can manage in one day, but I will give up befor the bike that is for sure
Shuld be an ok tripp from UK to Lithuania in a cuple of days, you can alwayes cheat a bit and take the Boat from Kiel in germany
skip Poland and get a Good night sleep cross the Pond haha.

We are planning to go South and see some Mountins as we do not have any thing like that here in Dk...
Rolling Hills and water is all So South we go :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Of course, you can. Ask yourself if you can manage to stay safe, expecially on the German Autobahn. I have done this every year by car and I got to say, if you keep your eyes open and make place for the big guys (250 km/hour is average on the left lane) you'll be fine. Take your stops frequently and good. One every 2.5h seems good for me personally. I have done long trips up to 900km's only. If you are sensitive for the seat, do provide yourself gel ones. And, make sure you are 100% comfi in what your riding with (#gear). Any irritation will multiply by 3 ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've done a 16 hour day droning on the highway, that will beat you up on any bike. Having said that, the R3 performed way better than my expectations. Just make sure you bring ear plugs.

My biggest issue with the bike in general is lack of ability to hold much gear. Rear seat is so tiny and not many places to bungee things to.

I say go for it. You'll never know till you try.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Please remember to post a report of how you spent your summer vacation! And let us know how riding the R3 long distance fared.

And share some travel photos so the rest of us couch potatoes can see what Lithuania looks like :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys for your response, much appreciated! :)

I believe all of you are right saying that I might become a limit, but not the bike. However, I will give a try. I just need to plan my journey: choose the rest points in advance, get the tank and rear seat luggage, tyre repair kit, etc.
A friend of mine is planning to go with me, so that should help to get more confidence, even though he has zero experience on long trips.
I have go a Go Pro camera, so planning to make a little blog / documentary type of video so I could share it with all of you guys.

Any tips about preparing for the trip would be greatly appreciated! Any essential things I should get, please let me know.

Thanks again! ;)

J

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Hello from London,
I have been an owner of the R3 for about 6 months, but I never done a longer ride than 100 miles (160 km) in one go. But what about 1300 miles? (2080 km)

I am planning to go from London to Lithuania in mid June next year. That would be a long trip through 3-4 countries which I think would take around 6-8 days.

I just wonder if R3 is really capable of doing this. It probably is as almost any other bike but because I never done these kind of long trips before, I just want to get an advice from people who did. Is it even worth thinking about it or should I just take this idea out of my head and buy a plane ticket. :D

Thanks in advance guys!
Here's an article for you about long rides....

http://www.motorcycle.com/features/...o20151106&utm_term=Motorcycle Now Subscribers

·
Registered
460 Posts
Getting ready for two big motorcycle trips on the CBR250R. I hope I get a clear window on May 12th, 13th, or 14th for my 1,000 mile ride to Birmingham, AL for Mercedes training and a trip to the Barber motorcycle museum and then tent camping for a week on the way back to NY through the Smokey and Blue Ridge Mountains.
Barber Motorsports Museum: Home
I made a bigger windscreen for the CBR250R and after a couple trials for the final location, it works perfectly to provide the magic blow dryer effect where any rain instantly forms tiny beads and blows straight down off my face shield with never a need to wipe. It would be cool to register the iron Butt 1,000 at over 100 mpg but that would depend on warm weather. I have been getting only 95 so far this year with cold mornings and the heat on.
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...592_996715730407539_3680643973090023464_o.jpg
For my second trip in June I actually have a friend to camp with at Americade this year riding 1,800 km over from the North Shore of Lake Superior on his CBR125R. He writes the nice trip reports on ADVrider.
Bears, Lairs, Snares, and Other Scares. The 2014 CBR125R Gathering | Adventure Rider
We are meeting at Boldt Castle on Sunday and riding over through The NY High Peaks to Lake George on Monday for a fun week of riding motorcycle demos and hanging with other moto afficionados. It will be interesting to read what he writes this time.
Here's the map for my upcoming Iron Butt 1,000
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Exp...e96ed0bbd4!2m2!1d-86.7837491!2d33.5514827!3e0

·
Registered
111 Posts
I can barely ride from Santa Clarita Valley to Pomona (60 miles) on the freeway. The R3 is so buzzy and vibrates so much that my hands and feet fall asleep. Even my GSXR600 didn't vibrate as much. Neither did my Ducati Hypermotard 1100 which is a L twin. I'd invest in pillow grips and padded gloves for long rides, then swap out to race gloves on the twisties or around town. Maybe rubber pegs to aborb some vibration too.

Goodluck on your trip. At least the R3 gets 60mpg on 87 octane. LOL

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm looking into a R3 as a newbie... Can I attach saddle bags over rear tire? Can a 12v socket be installed for cell gps? Really wanna log some miles but wanna add few gizmos 1st

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'm looking into a R3 as a newbie... Can I attach saddle bags over rear tire? Can a 12v socket be installed for cell gps? Really wanna log some miles but wanna add few gizmos 1st

Yup there's plenty of saddle bag and top case options available for the R3. Bike even has anchor points on the rear pegs. Not too sure about a 12v socket but certainly you can add a usb port. Battery tender has a pretty slick setup so you can connect a usb adapter to their 2 pin quick connect so you can just run a extended usb cable to the front of the bike or wherever you need it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a question guys. I have plans to drive from Sweden to croatia next summer with my Yamaha R3 2016 model.

Would it seem reasonable to drive my bike which has approx 10000km on it (Recently changed oil to Motul and K&N oil filter) there?

Will take it to service (11000km) next year on march to prepare it for the long trip which is approx (4000km round trip).

Anything else I should be aware of? Tips?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have a question guys. I have plans to drive from Sweden to croatia next summer with my Yamaha R3 2016 model.

Would it seem reasonable to drive my bike which has approx 10000km on it (Recently changed oil to Motul and K&N oil filter) there?

Will take it to service (11000km) next year on march to prepare it for the long trip which is approx (4000km round trip).

Anything else I should be aware of? Tips?
Would recommend sticking to the Yamaha service intervals of 5k km for oil change so for a trip of that caliber you'll need to change your oil once (but you can reuse the filter assuming it's new when you start your trip). With modern synthetic oils you should be able to do the full 10k but oil is cheap, engines are not. Also be sure to keep your chain well lubricated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts