Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Before getting an R3, I was wondering whether you can buy the full Akrapovic exhaust system and then change the muffler to the carbon fibre slip on? Really dig the sound of the full system, but I also love the looks of the Akrapovic slip on.

Thank you in advanced !

·
Registered
271 Posts
Its not, I emailed akrapovic and asked. I wanted to use the stainless gp slip on with the header.

They said you have to buy the full system as it is. You cant use any of the slip ons with their header.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah I see. Thank you for the prompt response mate!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the suggestion!
I did have a look at them, however it is double to price of the Akrapovic here in Australia ($800 vs $1.6k). Will probably bite the bullet with the Akrapovic full system since it sounds incredible (had the chance to hear it from another rider).

·
Registered
346 Posts
Thank you for the suggestion!
I did have a look at them, however it is double to price of the Akrapovic here in Australia ($800 vs $1.6k). Will probably bite the bullet with the Akrapovic full system since it sounds incredible (had the chance to hear it from another rider).
Make sure you do your research on full systems. A lot of people have been unhappy with them and reported loss of mid-range power. A handful of forum members have actually gone back to stock and just used slip-ons. Further, you will need to shell out for a PCV and block-off plate (unless you really want to se some performance loss), so make sure you add that cost in.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Make sure you do your research on full systems. A lot of people have been unhappy with them and reported loss of mid-range power. A handful of forum members have actually gone back to stock and just used slip-ons. Further, you will need to shell out for a PCV and block-off plate (unless you really want to se some performance loss), so make sure you add that cost in.
I was aware of the power commander benefits, and they're very pricy yes. However I haven't really heard of the block-off plate. I searched it up and found a handy guide on yamahar3racing so thank you for the suggestion, I'll definitely put it on the to-do-list.

I think I'll still commit to the full exhaust, mainly for the sound appeal. I can purchase a PVC/dyno tune later on, when I'm ready to go for track days.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I was aware of the power commander benefits, and they're very pricy yes. However I haven't really heard of the block-off plate. I searched it up and found a handy guide on yamahar3racing so thank you for the suggestion, I'll definitely put it on the to-do-list.

I think I'll still commit to the full exhaust, mainly for the sound appeal. I can purchase a PVC/dyno tune later on, when I'm ready to go for track days.
Your call, of course, but you will have noticeable performance issues if you switch to a full exhaust without doing a tune right away. It isn't just for track days, lol.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I installed the Arrow header and installed the Akropovic slip on. The outlet on Arrow header and inlet on the Akropovic slip on are the exact same so I went to local car exhaust shop and had them expand the Akropovic inlet and it worked out perfectly. Draw back is there is no Db killer offered for Akropovic Slip on and it was crazy loud. I ended up getting Arrow Can and really am happy with end result.

Reactions: matrix22

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yes, a free-flowing header and muffler combination has to deal with pulse and backpressure issues to maximize the scavenging effect of the intake/exhaust stroke. Some cases, the free flow is too free and takes some of the fuel/air charge with it and possible make the new fuel too lean at higher rpm. Or if the bends are slightly restrictive or blocks the pulse wave , your fuel/air may have unscavenged charge left in the combustion chamber.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts