Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI I AM ABOUT TO BUY MY FIRST BIKE.. I JUST WANT TO KNOW IF THE R3 IS GOOD FOR INTERSTATE RIDING OR AM I BETTER OF WITH A FZ 07?

i would love to hear everyone input specially well seasoned riders!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'll tell you this much, the FZ07 isn't good for interstate riding.

I rode 3 hours on the freeway once and either your back will hurt trying to tuck in for a long time with no tank to rest your chest on, or your body will be tired from all the wind hitting you. Getting a windscreen will alleviate the problem but I didn't buy a FZ07 just to put on an ugly windscreen.

The R3 is just slightly better as far as wind goes but at least you can rest your chest on the tank so the R3 is better for interstate riding.

·
Registered
93 Posts
One of the most surprising things about the R3 was how capable and comfortable it feels on the freeway. The low front end and small shield makes far less wind noise than bikes higher priced. I never feel I am going to underpowered for any freeway situation really.
My 1st month with the bike I put 1806 miles on the bike, mostly freeway.

The FZ07 needs to a fully faired bike badly, its a bit ugly to me.

·
Registered
665 Posts
HI I AM ABOUT TO BUY MY FIRST BIKE.. I JUST WANT TO KNOW IF THE R3 IS GOOD FOR INTERSTATE RIDING OR AM I BETTER OF WITH A FZ 07?

i would love to hear everyone input specially well seasoned riders!!
Having been on both, like what others have reported, the R3 would be much more ideal.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I traded my fz07 in for my r3 so I have owned both. The r3 is a better highway bike. I thought the fz07 did fine on the interstate though. The seat is lower on the r3 and it's 30 lbs lighter which for me is the big advantage of the r3. The fz07 has much better acceleration throughout its range. In wind, advantage still goes to the r3. Fairings and the fly screen really help.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
You want a bike for interstate riding?
The R-3 will go forever on the interstate at 65mph comfortable. From about 70mph to 105mph the wind is kind of annoying for long distances more than 50-100 miles. Your ass wont get sore, your neck and upper back muscles will, from the wind buffeting your head around.
You want a bike for interstate riding you need a full windshield.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all your inputs on this matter!!! t sure helped a lot!! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I own both an R3 and a FZ/MT07, first of all the two bikes are chalk and cheese. the 07 it a torque machine and great for cut and thrust city rides but also has the power to cruse at 130k+ speeds all day, if you can stand it, the seat is way to hard after 3 hours and the wind buffeting will tire you out in less than that. The R3 is smooth and silky but lacks the low down grunt, I would be a little hesitant to ride at 130K speeds for long trips on the R3 as I think it may be asking too much for 320cc bike. a better option would be a FZ6R or diversion as an inter-stater.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yes it sure is. I just rode from Toronto to Philly and it was so much fun. Never felt too my wind drag or the lack of power to pass someone. I'm a 5'6 and 120 pounds. cant wait to ride back on Wednesday

·
Registered
93 Posts
Oh yeah, the FZ6R 's inline 4 is about as sweet as honey. I use to ride one, if only it had not been so freaking heavy ( 470 pds full of fuel) I would still own one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes it sure is. I just rode from Toronto to Philly and it was so much fun. Never felt too my wind drag or the lack of power to pass someone. I'm a 5'6 and 120 pounds. cant wait to ride back on Wednesday
You mean the R3 ? or the FZ-07, R6?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I can't get over how comfy this bike is cruising along 35-55. It just seems so content, purring along like a content kitten.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I own both an R3 and a FZ/MT07, first of all the two bikes are chalk and cheese. the 07 it a torque machine and great for cut and thrust city rides but also has the power to cruse at 130k+ speeds all day, if you can stand it, the seat is way to hard after 3 hours and the wind buffeting will tire you out in less than that. The R3 is smooth and silky but lacks the low down grunt, I would be a little hesitant to ride at 130K speeds for long trips on the R3 as I think it may be asking too much for 320cc bike. a better option would be a FZ6R or diversion as an inter-stater.
I've logged thousands of miles, on a smaller bike, doing higher speeds.
Believe me when I say, that the R3 is just fine doing 85 to 90mph all day long, week in, week out.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
I've logged thousands of miles, on a smaller bike, doing higher speeds.
Believe me when I say, that the R3 is just fine doing 85 to 90mph all day long, week in, week out.
I agree. I've also ridden thousands of miles on 250cc bikes. Honda Rebel 250cc, Kawasaki KLR 250cc, Honda NX 250cc. You could go coast to coast on a Honda Helix 250cc scooter.
An R3 (320cc) is more than capable of handling any interstate and even the German Autobahn (been there too). Across the state or across the country.
The only problem is the lack of a decent windshield. Your neck and shoulders will get tired from the wind buffeting you around LONG before the R3 gets tired.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I commute to work every day on the freeway going around 80mph, sometimes 40mph lane-splitting cuz it turns into a parking lot (I live in SoCal) and traffice is ugly after work. Rides like a dream and can keep up with traffic and has no problems passing at over 80mph. Be advised I am 4'11 and 108lbs w/ all my gear on so I don't weigh the bike down much and pulls great. :D

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
I agree. I've also ridden thousands of miles on 250cc bikes. Honda Rebel 250cc, Kawasaki KLR 250cc, Honda NX 250cc. You could go coast to coast on a Honda Helix 250cc scooter.
An R3 (320cc) is more than capable of handling any interstate and even the German Autobahn (been there too). Across the state or across the country.
The only problem is the lack of a decent windshield. Your neck and shoulders will get tired from the wind buffeting you around LONG before the R3 gets tired.
As far as windshields go this works great:

R7.jpg

qa1.jpg

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=2205

It may not be to your liking, looks-wise, but it really changes the air flow, allowing you to direct it where you want it, including up and over your helmet. And unlike a taller windshield, that someone will eventually make for the R3, you can have full wind blast when you want it, partial wind blast or no wind blast, according to the angle at which you set it.

Also, it removes easily. I carry mine in my tank bag and put it on on longer rides so my neck and shoulders don't get tired. I've done a 175 mile ride with it installed and no neck/shoulder issues at all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Because of the seating position, I may want to wait a year, until a naked, more upright seated version becomes available.
Usually you don't need a windshield up 'till 70-80mph, but after 80mph it does get desirable.

Most people have shoulder aches from leaning forward while going too slow, rather than from the wind 'pushing them back', and they holding on the handlebars.

The whole rider ergonomics on the R3 is optimized for speeds above 80mph. In my case, I'd have to go 90-110mph, before my body balances with the wind, and I'm rather tall.

Btw, Fang, sorry to say, but that's one ugly muckerfugger, that windshield ;)

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
FangShui I've been checking out that wind deflector ever since you first posted it on your R3 mods post. I googled it, priced it, researched it. Still not sure it would take care of the wind hitting you full blast in the helmet at 85mph, that's where I have my issues with the interstate.
Have you used it enough at high speeds to say for sure it directs the wind at that speed away from your helmet? Enough to make a real difference? It may be just what I need! I think it looks pretty cool on the R3, but it would have to be functional first.

P.S. anyone have a "coupon code" for that windscreen?

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
FangShui I've been checking out that wind deflector ever since you first posted it on your R3 mods post. I googled it, priced it, researched it. Still not sure it would take care of the wind hitting you full blast in the helmet at 85mph, that's where I have my issues with the interstate.
Have you used it enough at high speeds to say for sure it directs the wind at that speed away from your helmet? Enough to make a real difference? It may be just what I need! I think it looks pretty cool on the R3, but it would have to be functional first.

P.S. anyone have a "coupon code" for that windscreen?
It seems to work very well. I bought it for my BMW R1100R (sold that bike last year) and it worked well on that, too.

I haven't tried it at speeds over about 75 mph on the R3 but it still seemed to work good at 75 mph. It is infinitely adjustable within it's range, which is considerable.

Here is another choice out there that would work. The AeroTrim (I have one on my CB500X and it works great!). However, it is a permanent mount type. This who I bought it from:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/heroblobs-store?_dmd=2&_nkw=aerotrim

aer1.JPG

1 - 20 of 27 Posts