Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, just to give you a brief background of my current situation I want to buy my first motorcycle Im currently 5'11" at 190lbs and Im really just looking for something to cruise around in, in the summer time and riding season. After speaking with a few people who own bikes I got mixed reviews. I have this one guy telling me its way too small im not gonna be able to merge on the highway safely and he says Ill get made fun of and look too big on the R3. Ive also spoke with a guy who currently owns an R3 and had nothing but good things to say about it and he loves the bike. Id go with an R6 if I could but Right now I dont think that would be in my budget. Also from what I hear the R3s insurance rate is pretty inexpensive, because its in the 300s. What do you think? Is it gonna be too slow where I wont be able to keep up with my friends on their 600s and 1000s? Is the bike fun? Please give me your thoughts. Thanks all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm 5'10 180lbs, so not too far from you. I've had a ninja 250, a CBR600RR, a cruiser, and now the R3.
As some one who has owned and ridden a 600 super sport and the R3 I can honestly say the R3 is an awesome motorcycle. Very easy to ride, very light and easy to flick around, and super comfortable. Anyone who says it's too small or you'll be made fun of is probably a dink and needs to check their ego.

The R3 is fine on the highway, merging isn't a problem. I can cruise 120km/h no problem to keep up with traffic. It's way cheaper to insure than my 600 was. Also I ride with my friend all the time, he's on a GSXR-600 and I can keep up with him no problem. The only issue would be if he was full throttling it on every straight, the 600s will kill the R3 in the straight line, but if he was riding like a dick and being dangerous I wouldn't want to ride with him anyways.

Go on YouTube and look up "Sport Bike track gear R3 project". Brian Van does a "first 500 review" of his R3. He owns that and a new R1 which he rides on the track. They were both street bikes and he said he actually prefers the R3 on the street. He gets into good detail about it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The beauty of this bike is you can putt like a scooter or rev it to the moon and move at a pace equal to many of the quickest bikes prior to the replica era. The engine loves revs, and so long as you keep in the power band you have all the zing you're going to need in any traffic situation short of warping time for kicks on the freeway. You will keep up with your friends on 600s and 1000s in traffic ... but Smart Cars will probably be keeping up with all of you, too. Empty freeway? Kiss your buddies goodbye. You probably won't see them again unless you pass them fumbling for their registrations at the side of the road.

Don't worry about the "make fun of you" crowd. These people show up in every venue to troll, and you can be sure they would wank home with their tails between their legs if they had to defend their internet smack in real life. My favorite scenario is in firearms forums and all the big talk about this and that "mouse" caliber. Ask the elephant gun guys if they'd take a bullet in any of the "mouse" calibers and for some reason you rarely see a volunteer. The typical liter bro spends so much time talking about his bike that I fear for his ego in a closed-circuit race against a well-ridden 250.

Some people do not like to rev the pee-eye-double-ess out of anything to get power. I'm that way with cars, but I'll take a little drama on two wheels. Good luck with your decision, and remember: bikes are thin, and kind of cheap to buy. You can probably justify a spinner and a torque monster in the same garage and bank account space taken by one boring car.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm exactly your size and weight and I'm very comfortable on the bike. Passing power? Do you know how to downshift? Ok den, no probs - keep or get the revs up and it scoots along nicely!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am 5'10", 188, and bought my 2016 R3 after riding my wife's 2016 Ninja 300 ABS. I did feel a little too big on the Ninja, but R3 is perfect for me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Im 5' 9'' about 155, so a little smaller and lighter than the rest of the guys here. But this is also my first bike. I considered an R6 and a CBR, both of which were nice although I'd say the R3 is much more comfortable than those bikes due to their more forward seating position. For cruising and longer rides they probably wouldn't be ideal.

It is a small bike but its not short on power at all. Its pretty docile under 7k rpm which is ideal for new riders, but most of the power is up top so if you give it a twist it will really come alive. Its enough to get you in trouble but forgiving enough that its not going to kill you when you make mistakes (and you will). I have no problem merging on the highway or keeping up with just about anything on the road. Its faster than most cars, including some higher performance sports saloons out there (example: I walked a WRX the other day all the way to 80mph before backing off). But then again I'm a very light rider so your results may vary...

But make no mistake its not a 600 and has nowhere near the power to weight ratio of an R6 or similar bike. So it might keep up to a certain point but you will eventually get smoked. But that's not what this bike is intended for. As a new rider you should not be concerned with keeping up with bigger sport bikes. You should be focused on learning good habits and developing your skills. And that's exactly what the R3 is good for.

As far as being made fun of, that's a moronic statement. You're buying your first bike - its not about ego or how powerful your frame is. Making a choice based on that is a recipe for disaster and clearly he doesn't have your best interests heart considering your just learning. My yammie gets plenty of positive attention. Just yesterday I was setting at stop light and I looked over and noticed a couple staring and giving me a thumbs up.

Overall I think as a first bike you can't go wrong with the R3 and you won't be disappointed with it. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts