Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for my first bike and came across the Yamaha r3. Theres one in my town and he's asking 3900 for it and it was a tad over 3000 miles. What do you guys think? h t t p ://wichita.craigslist. o r g /mcy/5580160293. h t m l

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think that's a fantastic deal! Make sure there isn't a lien on it though. As long as the previous owner has it paid off, that's a steal for a new bike. I just bought a 2016 brand new for $2k more. With 3000 miles on it, it should already be broken in and ready to ride. Looking at the link it already comes with a fender eliminator and nice clip-ons. Dealer serviced. Warranty should still be good too. If you got the cash on hand, buy it if you want it. I doubt you'll find another R3 that cheap. The blue looks magnificent in person too.

One of the pictures for the bike looks like it's missing one of the plastic screws that attach the windscreen to the front fairing. Also, it looks like the owner removed the small bar ends on the handlebars. Check it out in person, and scrutinize every little detail, I can't emphasize this enough. If you have riding experience, ask to test ride it too.

·
Registered
545 Posts
That is about right on the money. Considering where you are distribution might be a bit lean making that a decent deal. If its mechanically sound, paperwork checks out. Its a buy.

I have sold two recently for $4200 with 2900 miles and 225 miles for a reference. Both were mint and never dropped.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. The title does have a lien on it but we've arranged to meet at his bank in two days to get everything figure out and pay it off. I've also got him to reduce the price to 3650. With a lien is this still a decent deal? I looked at the bike and besides a few scratches here and there it does not look like it's been dropped. I'ts missing a screw on the shield and a screw on the rear fairing from him putting under lights on it but I dont think it should be a big problem ordering spare screws. I also had a buddy of mine test drive it for me since I don't have my license for another 2 weeks and he said it rides smooth and shifts smooth, but he's also not a mechanics. It does have 3700 miles as of now so should there be anything else I should ask him about before I buy it? Any particular maintenance checks?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Being a noob at motorcycles I did not ask him that when I looked at it. I will text him and ask. Are there any other things I should ask?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got mine for $4,000, with 4,000 miles on it. The price seems about right! But deals like that can come by more often than you'd expect so keep your cool about it :) Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got mine for $4,000, with 4,000 miles on it. The price seems about right! But deals like that can come by more often than you'd expect so keep your cool about it :) Good luck!
was there any maintenance needing to be done to yours when you bought it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I feel like you guys south of the border get charged more in general for bikes. My brand new 2016 ran me 5600 CAD out the door with 3km on it. that converts to like 4200 USD. Must be different markets.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Within the first week of having it the oil light went on, so I had to spend 100 bucks getting the fancy oil. Other than that everything has been pretty gravy and the tires look pretty good.

·
Super Moderator
1,307 Posts
Within the first week of having it the oil light went on, so I had to spend 100 bucks getting the fancy oil. Other than that everything has been pretty gravy and the tires look pretty good.
The blinking oil light just means oil change time. $100, dude ... did you mean Triumph RIII?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I feel like you guys south of the border get charged more in general for bikes. My brand new 2016 ran me 5600 CAD out the door with 3km on it. that converts to like 4200 USD. Must be different markets.
Nah, I got mine for $5k OTD. It was new, 1 mile on the ODO. ( PDI test ride around the block by the service tech. )

The problem is: most dealerships try to rape the customer.
And too many times, they get away with it.
:|
Also: bikes seem to be a bit higher in areas that have year-round riding weather.
I'm sure you don't do much riding up there in moose-country during the winter months. Am I right?

·
Registered
20 Posts
The blinking oil light just means oil change time. $100, dude ... did you mean Triumph RIII?
Ha! Did I get totally ripped off on that oil? It was my first time so I just figured it was standard.

Labor $40.00
Motul 300v 5w30 x2 $39.98
Filter $15.99

Total $101.01

Noob here. Perhaps next time I should figure out how to get my hands dirty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also kind of made a mistake here.. so I am unable to test drive the motorcycle myself since I dont have a motorcycle license yet so I had a buddy of mine test drive it for me when we looked at it. He said it rode very well but he later said he only went to 4th gear (we were in a downtown area). He has a bike of his own but his by no means a mechanic. My question here is.. with the bike being so low of miles and never been dropped is it safe to assume that there is no engine or transmission problems?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Labor $40.00
Filter $15.99

Total $101.01

OUCH. :(
Motul 300V is just about the most expensive oil you can get. And you don't need it in the R3.
OEM oil Filter is $10.
The job is simple. Easy to do. Good name-brand motorcycle oil is around $10 per qt. You need to buy 3 qts, because the R3 takes 2.4 qts per change.
$40 in parts, about an hour of your time.
Don't pay $100 for an oil change on an R3. That's nuts.
If you like paying $100 for an oil change on an R3... please bring it to ME next time. I'll take your money!
:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm looking for my first bike and came across the Yamaha r3. Theres one in my town and he's asking 3900 for it and it was a tad over 3000 miles. What do you guys think? h t t p ://wichita.craigslist. o r g /mcy/5580160293. h t m l
I bought mine brand new out the door for $5,900 depends on if there is any damage how the motor runs and how it was maintained if everything is on the up and up it’s a fair price

·
Registered
708 Posts
Ha! Did I get totally ripped off on that oil? It was my first time so I just figured it was standard.

Labor $40.00
Filter $15.99

Total $101.01

Ya, but thats what shops do. They see an r3 pilot and assume were noobs. I do almost all the work on my bike now. I can do an oil and filter change in about 25 minutes for $25. you should download the free owners manual, get to reading and learn as much as you can about your bike. There are a lot of great yt vids out there on the R3. The more work you can do, the more $$$ you save. Happy riding👍

·
Registered
708 Posts
It seems like a good bike. Just beware of the dreaded craigslist crotch rot. Ive got a different version of it from every cl bike I ever bought.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts