Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a long shot, but I figured I would try this forum to see if I can find the owner of an abandoned 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3 in Red and White. Located on Wheeler Army Airfield in Hawaii. Has Maryland tags that expired in 2017 and a Virginia inspection that was completed in Aug 2015. I tried contacting the Maryland DMV and got a Carfax report, but no luck at this time. My hope is maybe someone on this Forum may know who the owner may be.

·
Super Moderator
983 Posts
Any possibility you could try to recover and take claim of the bike and a new title legally? Through the DMV or military base? Surely this isn't the first time it's happened on a base? But finding the right person to ask may take an act of god.

·
Registered
425 Posts
A friend of mine once found an abandoned moto in Texas. He wrote down the VIN and went to the DMV to get a bonded title. Cost about $200. He gave me the bike then. A lifetime AMA member and a true friend. RIP Ken.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have got a car fax but it doesn’t have the owners name or title number. Maryland DMv will not release the information to me. Hawaii only requires a bill of sale to transfer the title. I have searched high and low for the owner. No luck surfing the web either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is an epidemic on the island with vehicles that get left behind by military members who can't take them with them or sell them in time. As far as the military is concerned they are towing abandoned vehicles on post if it has expired tags or has been sitting for an extended period of time. The tow company gets the vehicles and then takes them for scrap. I would be willing to bet that this R3 has very low miles on it as the tires are practically new. It has been sitting for some time however so there is some rust and general weathering. I doubt I'll be able to find the owner before this bike is hauled off to the scrap yard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts