Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I was curious to see if anyone has had this issue with their R3, and if there were any suggestions on how to solve it.

I've been noticing that sometimes when I'm shifting into 1st from Neutral, it won't go into first. This has happened to me a few times to really bug me. The times it has happened, I was at a stop light (put the bike into neutral to adjust me glove) and when I went to put into 1st, it wouldn't go, it took me a few tries. Another time happened this morning, I had just started up my bike, letting it warm up before I left for work, and it was in Neutral and wouldn't go into 1st. Any suggestions or ideas help. So far I've heard to really press hard on the gear pedal and get into gear, and another suggestion was that possibly the gear pedal needed to be adjusted.

I'm open to suggestions and/or solutions, or even why it's doing this.

·
Registered
103 Posts
+1 for rebel's post, just rock back and forth the gear should pop into first, if not, click it again and should be sweet, it's normal :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
When it happens to me i will release the clutch, then pull it again before kicking it into 1st. didn't rock the bike or give it gas, and it works for me

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
I hold the clutch and press my foot lightly on the shifter (so I'm not forcing it into gear) and push the bike back a little since it's easier than pushing it forward if I'm on a flat road. If I'm on a hill I let go of the brake just to let it roll a little.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Normal. Slightly let out on clutch and rock back and forth as your putting in gear.

Reactions: RebelRayna

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Everyone above is correct.
I'll add... if you're on a hill and don't feel comfortable rocking the bike, apply downward pressure to the shift lever with your foot and just let out slightly on the clutch lever with your hand
The bike will slip right into gear.

Perfectly normal for any non-synchronized tranny (as motorcycles are)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Motorcycles can be jerks. I swear mine loves to do it when there's a huge line of traffic behind me on a light that changes quickly ?? and yes sometimes it will be harder than others to make it go in.
Could you imagine a big heavy bike doing that?
Be happy you're dealing with it on our little bike ;)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Mine did this frequently and rocking it always worked. I will say that since I had the recall done that this problem has yet to happen again. Maybe coincidence, maybe not but before the recall it was like clockwork, if I was at a light and in neutral then it was going to have to be rocked into first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did the recall and happen again, I think my gloves are hindering the clutch lever from going until the end, i'll pay attention on this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts