Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got it last night. First thing to note, definitely needs a louder exhaust. I mean, I do prefer riding like I'm invisible, but safety comes first. The only problem is I actually like the look of the stock exhaust. I'd rather stay away from chrome just a personal preference. I'll have to skim the threads for some good looking loud ones.

I already ordered the Vagabond Fender Eliminator. Their shop is not even 30 miles from where I live, so I'm sure it'll arrive soon. I'm not mechanically inclined whatsoever, though, so I'm hesitant. Luckily, their "how to" video seems extremely detailed. Wish me luck!

The gearbox is super smooth compared to my rebel 250. I almost drooled when I got on the thing. Good times. More to come...

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Got it last night. First thing to note, definitely needs a louder exhaust. I mean, I do prefer riding like I'm invisible, but safety comes first. The only problem is I actually like the look of the stock exhaust. I'd rather stay away from chrome just a personal preference. I'll have to skim the threads for some good looking loud ones.

I already ordered the Vagabond Fender Eliminator. Their shop is not even 30 miles from where I live, so I'm sure it'll arrive soon. I'm not mechanically inclined whatsoever, though, so I'm hesitant. Luckily, their "how to" video seems extremely detailed. Wish me luck!

The gearbox is super smooth compared to my rebel 250. I almost drooled when I got on the thing. Good times. More to come...
Congrats on the bike. If you are looking to buy an exhaust to make the bike louder, look into getting a full exhaust, as I have read most slip ons dont gain much volume since the cat does alot of the sound suppression. On the bright side, a full exhaust on the R3 is probably only going to run you half of what you would pay for a full exhaust on an SS. You might be disappointed if you try to save some money and just pick up a slip on. You dont need to get a chrome aftermarket exhaust, several companies make them in CF or black.

You mentioned you are buying it for safety. Have you also invested in a good jacket, helmet, riding pants, boots and reflective vest? Too often people want to upgrade their exhaust but forget to buy protective gear, which kind of defeats the whole safety thing.

You could have just rode the bike to pick up the FE lol. I know Jesse from R3 racing is also San Diego based and I could have had my stuff mailed to me but I rode over to his place to grab it. Saves him shipping cost, saves me time (waiting), gave me a reason to go out and get on the bike, and above all, I got to met the man behind the name. Also, its good to know in real life your community members imo.

If you are looking for group rides in SD, look up the San Diego Sport bike meet up group on meetup.com. its the largest sport bike rider group in SD and has ALOT of posted rides every week. CCs dont matter. Alot of newbie rides too. Also hit up socalsportbikes.org.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts

The M4 Street Slayer is a great alternative to a full system or a slip-on. It's in between: you remove the collector box/catalytic converter under the frame, but leave the stock header in place, so no fairings or side covers have to be removed. With the collector box gone this one is louder than stock. Plus you have the option of leaving the dB killer in or removing it for the loudest sound. Both ways are louder than stock.
It's normally $399.00 USD from several suppliers or eBay.

Install & Sound Test video:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome, thanks for the recommendations, guys! I'll have to look into that exhaust and save up for one, sounds sweet. I'm excited for the fender eliminator for now; all in good time :) I do have myself some gear I purchased from Cycle Gear last year. I may have to reconsider my shoes though, might need bigger soles to flat foot the bike. I'm so close to being able to flat foot it that a change in shoes should do the trick.

I'll be joining that SD meetup once I brush up on my group riding knowledge. Going out for a ride today with my wife hoping there won't be much traffic due to the Superbowl starting around 4. Thanks again.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Welome to the best forum because of the people here.

Welcome and congrats on your new bike enjoy and be safe. It's addicting doing the little upgrades. I just paid off my bike yesterday. Ive had it 5 months and I did all this so far 1520 miles. TST flush(smoke)front turn signals with flash unit $30 rear tail eliminator with lic light and turn signals. $50 Full Yoshimura R77 full exhaust Carbon+tip (priceless) used for $320.00 like new(too loud for seller) not me. Running it with the db killer in. Dyno-jet PCV $311 Hardracing.com came programmed with graves block off plate and air box cap $23. R6 throttle tube with matching grip same as R3 $27 (less turn for full Throttle) Jesse Mod thread.
Dainese Pony c2 ce certified leather pants $399 Cycle Gear. Nice fit that's why I picked them. Shoei Mystic rf 1200 helmet with Pinlock Installed (anti-fog)film-seal. like new seller sold his bike it wasn't for him Riding that is. $320 It came it was new nothing was touched. AXO leather jacket (fang) $130 from Canada. retails in the $400 range. Very nice jacket thick and heavy. Ordered back shield for it $39. And last my new Bridgestone S20 tires in the stock size because thats what gives this bike the nice feeling and handling. There coming next week $223 free shipping. $87 for the install checked with my local shop. And ordering some SS brake lines Speigler or Galfer not sure yet $129. Then I'm done. Oh and the Ram Phone mount with center tank bolt position $30. I think thats all. Rear seat cowl.$109 Here some photos. I couldn't or wouldn't have know any of this if it was not for the people on this forum thank you all. I did the install on everything except the tires.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Braunbear how long have you had the pants? Reason why I ask is because I noticed they dont have knee pucks on them. Maybe you could return them for some pants with pucks? I know you might think you will never do a track day, but you never know. If you do decide, new pants would be one less thing to spend another $400 dollars on. Cycle Gear has a great return policy. Typically pants that have pucks have a zipper around the waist and a matching jacket that you could pick up later on down the line.

I had pants similar to those without the pucks when I first started riding in 2013. As I got better and better I knew I would need to buy new pants with pucks, so in essence if I bought them earlier, I would have saved myself some cash.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Purchasing this bike has not saved me any money lol. I was like going to get pucks but I thought I would look too crazy out on the regular street with them in full race gear. I'll just get them later. I have three set's of gear I'm building on 1. Street/summer High vis textile Purchased with bike. 2. Canyon+winter Dainese pony+AXO jacket. 3. track Dainese full suit or pants with pucks and jacket that zips. I know I would like to go to the track in the future. safety wire stuff and film off lights full gloves and boots. I have everything picked out already. There on sale now full suit and pant with pucks. Dainese has good stuff on sale. New designs come in. Out with the old in with the new. like the Dainese Torque air out boot and there gloves. I like alpinestars and have a few things. like to switch it up a bit and mix it up.Think Im going to suit up and go for a ride It's nice day out no wind.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Purchasing this bike has not saved me any money lol. I was like going to get pucks but I thought I would look too crazy out on the regular street with them in full race gear. I'll just get them later. I have three set's of gear I'm building on 1. Street/summer High vis textile Purchased with bike. 2. Canyon+winter Dainese pony+AXO jacket. 3. track Dainese full suit or pants with pucks and jacket that zips. I know I would like to go to the track in the future. safety wire stuff and film off lights full gloves and boots. I have everything picked out already. There on sale now full suit and pant with pucks. Dainese has good stuff on sale. New designs come in. Out with the old in with the new. I like the Dainese Torque air out boot and there gloves. I like alpinestars and have a few things. I like to switch it up a bit and mix it up. I think Im going to suit up and go for a ride It's nice day out no wind.
The pucks are removable(velcro) and will make the pants look just like what you have now. Just trying to save you some money brother!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Ok I'll look into this I was planning on going to cycle gear and trying on some boots and gloves. I got the pants for xmas from the wife and there still new Only a couple of times out in them less then a hour. I have all the tags I saved them. So they let me do a exchange upgrade if I'm buying boots and glove also. $400 more bucks. Velcro how smart.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I looked around the shops and no luck finding boots that gave me enough added height. It looks like I'll have to lower it somewhat. I wasn't looking forward to that, but if I can find someone that can successfully put on those t-rex lowering links, I'll do it. I'm not sure who would do it though. Any good mechanics around Escondido/San Diego?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I looked around the shops and no luck finding boots that gave me enough added height. It looks like I'll have to lower it somewhat. I wasn't looking forward to that, but if I can find someone that can successfully put on those t-rex lowering links, I'll do it. I'm not sure who would do it though. Any good mechanics around Escondido/San Diego?
If you lower the rear of the bike, you will need to do teh front too in order to maintain the bikes stock geometry. Not sure about Escondido but most of my friends in SD, and alot of the regulars that you see on the 94 usually go to Josh. He owns J's Speed shop. When I was told to go to his garage, my friend Franco said "hes the cheapest in town by far, go to his garage, his number is xxx-xxx-xxxx" So I make some calls and head over. His garage at the time was literally a garage lol. He now rents a place in National City and works out of that garage. Just google "J's speed shop", and if you still cant find it, PM me and I will send you his cell number. Before I bought my NoMar, I would go to him for tire changes, he is by far the cheapest in SD.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Congrats on the new set of wheels, I went with the Scorpion in black CF. it has a much better sounds than the stock, even if it's only a slip up on.
I'd post a pic, but not sure how to from an iPhone.

Good & safe riding to you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts