Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Been having a few problems with my R3 from new. Local Yamaha garage is pretty useless they can't seem to find what exactly is wrong with it, below are some of the major problems I have with it:

- Aggressive piston kicks
- Bike sometimes turns off while in idle
- Warped front brake disk (diagnosed by local Yamaha garage)
- Steering pulls to the right
- Extremely light/loose steering (with knocking)
- Engine does not seem healthy at all, strong smells of oil (was run in well)

If anyone has any opinions on what I can do, it would be appreciated. Is it possible to get in contact with Yamaha and exchange the bike for another? (UK only)

Thanks

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi All,

Been having a few problems with my R3 from new. Local Yamaha garage is pretty useless they can't seem to find what exactly is wrong with it, below are some of the major problems I have with it:

- Aggressive piston kicks
- Bike sometimes turns off while in idle
- Warped front brake disk (diagnosed by local Yamaha garage)
- Steering pulls to the right
- Extremely light/loose steering (with knocking)
- Engine does not seem healthy at all, strong smells of oil (was run in well)

If anyone has any opinions on what I can do, it would be appreciated. Is it possible to get in contact with Yamaha and exchange the bike for another? (UK only)

Thanks
1. Sounds like you have a bent disk. Did you hit something / drop the bike? Do you store it outside where someone could have knocked it over and picked it up?
2. Whole bike turns off or just the engine?
3. Did you get a new disk put on? Does it still do it?
4. Are your forks straight? Did you hit something and bend your forks?
5. Sounds like a lose triple tree, again, DID YOU HIT SOMETHING?
6. What doesn't seem healthy? The bikes have a strong smell to them for the first few thousand miles. This is a protective coating that's getting burned off by the hot engine. Mine smoked a little for the first 1k miles.

If you bought the bike new then two things happened, you hit something or they installed the triple tree incorrectly. Some bikes come without the triple installed from the factory and the shop has to install the front end in shop. I'm not 100% sure how the bike comes in the crate. If this is the case you can contact Yamaha directly and bring it up with them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. Sounds like you have a bent disk. Did you hit something / drop the bike? Do you store it outside where someone could have knocked it over and picked it up?
2. Whole bike turns off or just the engine?
3. Did you get a new disk put on? Does it still do it?
4. Are your forks straight? Did you hit something and bend your forks?
5. Sounds like a lose triple tree, again, DID YOU HIT SOMETHING?
6. What doesn't seem healthy? The bikes have a strong smell to them for the first few thousand miles. This is a protective coating that's getting burned off by the hot engine. Mine smoked a little for the first 1k miles.

If you bought the bike new then two things happened, you hit something or they installed the triple tree incorrectly. Some bikes come without the triple installed from the factory and the shop has to install the front end in shop. I'm not 100% sure how the bike comes in the crate. If this is the case you can contact Yamaha directly and bring it up with them.
- Bike has never been dropped, always kept garaged and never left on sidewalk etc.
- Just the engine turns off
- New disk is being put on tmrw at the cost of Yamaha
- Forks and steering bearings have been checked and apparently they are all OK
- NEVER hit the bike or fallen off (i'm a pretty good rider :p)
- Bike has covered around 4500miles since buying it new in August
- The engine itself doesn't seem to be good, as I said before, it constantly gives very aggressive piston kicks and sometimes misses a beat.
- I dont't know where the triple tree is located? If I know I can have a look at it myself and then look into contacting Yamaha

Cheers

·
Registered
198 Posts
- I dont't know where the triple tree is located? If I know I can have a look at it myself and then look into contacting Yamaha

Cheers

The triple tree refers to the two metal plates that hold the two forks and attach to the frame via the big bolt in front of the fuel tank. This bolt holds two bearings (top and bottom) and the two metal plates which hold the forks. If the bearings are bad or the bolt is lose the entire front end wont be straight or held together very well. It will cause the steering to be jerky and extremely bad handling. This coupled with a lose front axel could cause your brakes to bind and bend your disk.

Something isn't right here. You seem quite ignorant (not an insult, I mean it in the literal sense) and you could be getting played by a dealer or just the dealer doesn't give a ****. Can you go to a different dealer? See what they say?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Very concerning, I would contact Yamaha. They were very quick to send me a survey after I'd bought my new R3 and I'm pretty sure there was a means of contacting them provided.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The triple tree refers to the two metal plates that hold the two forks and attach to the frame via the big bolt in front of the fuel tank. This bolt holds two bearings (top and bottom) and the two metal plates which hold the forks. If the bearings are bad or the bolt is lose the entire front end wont be straight or held together very well. It will cause the steering to be jerky and extremely bad handling. This coupled with a lose front axel could cause your brakes to bind and bend your disk.

Something isn't right here. You seem quite ignorant (not an insult, I mean it in the literal sense) and you could be getting played by a dealer or just the dealer doesn't give a ****. Can you go to a different dealer? See what they say?
Yes I understand what you mean. A similar thing happened on my R125, it took my local dealer FIVE tries to figure out what was wrong with it. Until I finally got fed up and stood there until the problem was resolved (turns out the headstock bolt was loose!)

But in regards to what you have said above, I may get that certain area looked at privately or get in contact with Yamaha.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very concerning, I would contact Yamaha. They were very quick to send me a survey after I'd bought my new R3 and I'm pretty sure there was a means of contacting them provided.
Once the front disk has been replaced (tomorrow), if it has not improved, i'm going to be contacting Yamaha and tell them to take it! :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
1,314 Posts
- Just the engine turns off
I have this same problem. It's most likely to turn off as the cooling fan kicks on. Guessing hot air into a lean idle condition. You cannot raise the idle enough to work around the issue without tripping code 37 (high idle / ISC).

My bike seems fine otherwise none of your other listed issues, it's awesome as long as I'm not stuck in the middle of the road trying to get it to start again with cars honking at me. I plan to reset my idle and drop the bike off at the local dealer soon. Maybe one of us can get to the bottom of the issue.

Oh yah, are you running the stock exhaust system? I'm curious, I need to put stock can back on, but I only messed with slip-on not the restrictive cat.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have this same problem. It's most likely to turn off as the cooling fan kicks on. Guessing hot air into a lean idle condition. You cannot raise the idle enough to work around the issue without tripping code 37 (high idle / ISC).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4seY_cJezA

My bike seems fine otherwise none of your other listed issues, it's awesome as long as I'm not stuck in the middle of the road trying to get it to start again with cars honking at me. I plan to reset my idle and drop the bike off at the local dealer soon. Maybe one of us can get to the bottom of the issue.

Oh yah, are you running the stock exhaust system? I'm curious, I need to put stock can back on, but I only messed with slip-on not the restrictive cat.
Steering is now fine. Brake disk and pads were changed. Along with steering bearings being tightened. So no problems there. Next thing to look into is the idle problem. Will see what the local garage says. I have an Arrow slip-on at the moment. Not the full system. Saw your video, i don't think mine is as bad as yours! it works fine daily but now and again when i'm idle and about to take off, it will just cut out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts