Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have it too. It is a nice sound improvement. No regrets.

Reactions: matrix22

·
Registered
389 Posts
Nice pipe. I'm thinking of ordering a Competition Werkes Slip-on

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Latest update! I now have 200 miles on the Akrapovic. My last ride of 80 miles yielded an average of 61.4 mpg. The slip-on continues to sound better.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you heard the M4? If so thoughts?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
Yes, I looked into the M4, and it is louder and sounds very nice, but where I live it would draw to much legal attention. If you feel comfortable that police will leave you alone, then go for it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the M4 on mine already. I was considering the Akrapovic but have not heard it in person. The M4 is nasty and I really like the way it sounds.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, I looked into the M4, and it is louder and sounds very nice, but where I live it would draw to much legal attention. If you feel comfortable that police will leave you alone, then go for it.
This is sorta my main concern with getting a slip on. I feel like heads turn around the neighborhood and I barely make any noise. I'd rather not draw so much attention once I'm arriving home just for the bikes safety.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I do wish mine were a bit more quiet sometimes. I leave for work at about 4:30am.. I imagine my neighbors don't like it on the day's that I decide to take my bike.. Not really sure about gas mileage though. Checked mine yesterday and was getting about 48.6 mpg. I am kind of throttle heavy though.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I do wish mine were a bit more quiet sometimes. I leave for work at about 4:30am.. I imagine my neighbors don't like it on the day's that I decide to take my bike.. Not really sure about gas mileage though. Checked mine yesterday and was getting about 48.6 mpg. I am kind of throttle heavy though.

For what it's worth I average 61.4 mpg. was averaging 56.7 mpg on 87 octane and stock exhaust, switched to 89 octane and an Akrapovic GP slip-on and have averaged 61.4 mpg. I am 5'-10" and weigh 205 lbs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I run 92, always have with any bike. It's hard to find gas that's non ethanol. That combined with my heavy hand and M4 exhaust is probably why mines so low. I'm just really used to having a bigger bike with more pickup, so I'm heavier on the throttle to get that same feel..

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
This is sorta my main concern with getting a slip on. I feel like heads turn around the neighborhood and I barely make any noise. I'd rather not draw so much attention once I'm arriving home just for the bikes safety.
I just put the Coffman on my bike a few days ago. I haven't gotten out for a ride yet but I do like the sound while revving it in my driveway. It has a little baffle that can be quickly pulled out of the end of the exhaust (with a small pair of c-clip pliers). It sounds really good with the baffle in and even better when it's out. (little louder and a little deeper)
If you need it to be a little bit quieter at times, it's doable with that baffle.

The look is better on some bikes than others, since the exhaust is black and the tag has red lettering. I have the Matte Gray and the Coffman looks perfect on that color scheme. Looks great on the Black and Red models as well. The Blue however, some don't like the look as much.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I love the sound over stock and I like the turned up pipe over the full akropovic long pipe. The problem is the stock header. I'm not getting that crisp throttle rip crackle rrrrrraprapraprap sound. I wonder if the akropovic header will mate to it?
I put it on so others can hear me if they don't see me. Nice post.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the same akro slip on. Was really hesitant as i didnt like the look of it. But now i love it. Especially rolling off the throttle in 3rd and 4th it sounds awesome. As far as neighbours go its easy to keep it quiet after the initial start up, and sneak off at low smooth revs. No regrets here :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts