Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I just bought a 2020 MT03 for my girlfriend because she is interested in riding with me. I've been riding for about 6 years and she has almost 0 experience on 2 wheels. Anyway, I bought it from a dealer but when I got home I noticed it has a 180 rear tire on it. The tire is in good shape but isn't this dangerous? It looks like the stock wheel, but how could a 180 even fit on the stock wheel? It looks goofy and I can't imagine it's doing the bike any good. Just want some input before I run out and get new tires.

Current garage: 2021 Yamaha MT09 SP, 2020 Triumph Daytona 765, 2020 Yamaha MT03

· Super Moderator
2016 Yamaha YZF-R3
324 Posts
yeah the tire says 180/70r17 on it. I was trying to find the wheel width to see if it’s the stock wheel or not. But as you can see here, the 180 BARELY fits. It’s getting swapped ASAP View attachment 70665
View attachment 70664
That's nuts, I've never seen a 180 on the R3/MT03, very surprised they even got it mounted. That would handle like absolute ****.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's nuts, I've never seen a 180 on the R3/MT03, very surprised they even got it mounted. That would handle like absolute ****.
Oh yeah, handling is horrible. I cannot wait til these new tires come in. I'm just worried the rear wheel isnt a stock MT03 wheel and it came from an MT09. In that case I would need to order a stock width wheel for god knows how much...

· Registered
1 Posts
Hey all, I just bought a 2020 MT03 for my girlfriend because she is interested in riding with me. I've been riding for about 6 years and she has almost 0 experience on 2 wheels. Anyway, I bought it from a dealer but when I got home I noticed it has a 180 rear tire on it. The tire is in good shape but isn't this dangerous? It looks like the stock wheel, but how could a 180 even fit on the stock wheel? It looks goofy and I can't imagine it's doing the bike any good. Just want some input before I run out and get new tires.

Current garage: 2021 Yamaha MT09 SP, 2020 Triumph Daytona 765, 2020 Yamaha MT03
Way back in the 80s I put an oversize tire on my girlfriend's Suzuki GS450 because stock tires were hard to find fir it. I test rode it and it seemed fine. But the first time she rode it it got into a bad weave and crashed.

· Super Moderator
550 Posts
I recently converted my "race/track" only FZ-07 to Pirelli slicks. I've always been a Michelin "fan-boy".... After COVID-19 hit, they got a bit too "proud" of their product.... I spent $295 on ONE rear tire, that would only last me one race weekend 😕. Pirrelli Diablo Rosso III's, are a PREMIUM tire. My wife ran them on track-days for several years! Good for you on NOT following the trend of "big-fat-a$$-tires", that only detract from the over all street riding experience... You made a GREAT choice!!!!
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

· Super Moderator
2016 Yamaha YZF-R3
324 Posts
I recently converted my "race/track" only FZ-07 to Pirelli slicks. I've always been a Michelin "fan-boy".... After COVID-19 hit, they got a bit too "proud" of their product.... I spent $295 on ONE rear tire, that would only last me one race weekend 😕. Pirrelli Diablo Rosso III's, are a PREMIUM tire. My wife ran them on track-days for several years! Good for you on NOT following the trend of "big-fat-a$$-tires", that only detract from the over all street riding experience... You made a GREAT choice!!!! View attachment 70670
Yeah I rode michelins way years and years ago, but ultimately Pirelli has been my fav. I run Dunlop MotoAmerica slicks though mostly these because they're the easiest to find and often can get take offs. Have about 6 sets of takeoffs now, honestly need to sell a few sets.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts