Yamaha R3 Forums banner

Just how costly are track days?

5K views 37 replies 11 participants last post by  sbk1198 
#1 ·
I'd really love to go and do a track day sometime. But I hear you can easily spend close to $1k in just that one day. Fees, tires, swag, trailer, etc..

Anyone got advice on how much I'd need to save up for one of these?

#2 ·
I'd really love to go and do a track day sometime. But I hear you can easily spend close to $1k in just that one day. Fees, tires, swag, trailer, etc..

Anyone got advice on how much I'd need to save up for one of these?
Here is the deal - track days can be very affordable or they can become somewhat expensive.

For an occasional track day - you really don't need to do a lot. You can usually remove your mirrors, license plate bracket - tape up the lights and be good to go at many track day events. So that cost you nothing.

Many 1 day events cost around $150.00 to $200.00. If you have good tires and trust me you want good tires going to the track - if they are not good you will not pass tech inspection and you will not get a refund.

The R3 is really easy on tires and unless you are riding in the advanced group you will come away from a track day with plenty of life left in your tires.

You will need good gear - must have a full face helmet - depending on the organization you may need 1 piece racing suit with a back protector. Other orgs may let you ride with a 2 piece suit but typically it must zip together.

You want good gauntlet gloves - good riding boots.

Everything else is stuff you want for making the day that much better. Many times I've been at the track and a new rider shows up he/she rode their bike their so they basically have nothing with them. I invite them to pit with me and kind of introduce them into the track day world if you will.

Now on the other hand if you really like track days - get ready to spend some money - next thing you know you will be spending all kinds of money on your bike up to getting a track only bike. Then comes trailers, equipment and more gear.

I do about 30 track days a year and if I include my travel and lodging when I don't stay in my trailer it can get in the range of $1,000.00 a day. But that is factoring in everything from all the tires and parts and bikes. Last year I spent just under $5K on tires - my S1000RR went through 9 sets of Superbike Pirelli's.

#3 ·
Depends...

Do you already have full leathers (or at least a jacket and pants that zip together)?
Do you already have over the ankle boots?
Do you already have gauntlet style gloves?
Do you have a truck or access to one?

Standard everyday costs:
Trackday $100-$400 per day depending on the race track. I forget what COTA goes for but we have a day at Laguna Seca this year and its $350.
Gate entrance / Parking $10-$20
Gas to get to the race track as well as a 5 gallon jug of gas for your bike (assuming you have a full tank in your bike)
Breakfast / Lunch for yourself
Water / Beverages for yourself

If you've never been to the race track before I just recommend having tires that don't have a **** ton of commuter miles on them. You don't want a tire thats flat in the middle. Other than that... any street tire will due for your very first trackday.

Once the addiction sets in and you start picking up the pace you'll start buying all sorts of random ****... My current list includes...

14 Tacoma daily driver
2 ramps (one to walk on, one for the bike)
Front / Rear Stands
2 Gas Jugs (i'm out there for 3 days)
Generator
Toolbox
Bicycle Pump
2 Folding Chairs
Cooler with Water/Beer
Random snacks
Box o random shite (battery tender, chain lube, towels, sprockets, chain, etc. etc.)
Tire warmers
Sleeping bag
Cot

Hmm...

#6 ·
Assuming you're not buying anything extra (gear, tires, etc) a trackday here in PH can cost as cheap as $60/day. That includes track fee ($20-$30), gas(~$20), toll way fees (~$12), and food. Mind you that we sometimes ride all the way to the track which is around 120kms. :)

But yeah, once you start adding in extras like a truck, trailer, bike upgrades.. it can get costly pretty fast. :D

#7 · (Edited)
For the first time track day rider - I would really concentrate on making sure my bike is in proper working condition. This should not be too hard - because it should be there already. Certainly have new or almost new tires - purchase a good sport tire - don't get race tires.

As far as gear is concerned if you don't have something - check on the local forums for the track organization - many riders will let you borrow what you need or the track org has gear for rent.

Check with the organizer in regard to what is available for drinks and food - if they have all that - and you are riding there - don't bother bringing anything.

Bring the tools you need to remove mirrors and license plate bracket - bring a roll of painters tape to cover all lights.

Again even if you show up without this stuff almost always someone will lend you a hand.

We never want to think about this - but it can become extremely important. Make sure you write up an emergency contact list - also list your full name - address any medical conditions - then hand it over to the person pitted next to you.

And in the unfortunate event you crash and the bike can't be ridden home - always better to have that contingency plan in place as well.

I know these items are really a mood breaker - but way better to have a plan in place in case - hope we never need to use it - but I've seen times when no one knows who the heck the rider is.

#9 ·
We never want to think about this - but it can become extremely important. Make sure you write up an emergency contact list - also list your full name - address any medical conditions - then hand it over to the person pitted next to you.
We always ask at the riders meeting if you're at the track by yourself. If you are, we take additional information from you so we know what to do with your stuff "just in case"

#10 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys. Looks like I may have to move this down on my to-do list. I think I'll stick with going to an IRC first, and waiting until I can afford another bike lol. Since this is my daily driver, I can't risk anything happening to it. I really don't want to be forced back into a cage and a 1.5-2 hour commute. Plus, I can see myself going crazy on mods, so better for me to just wait.

So far all I've got as far as gear is some A* SP-2 gloves and A* Faster shoes (which I'm not sure qualify as "over the ankle"). I've got leather pants but it doesn't zip to my jacket, which is mesh. So gear alone is prolly gonna cost me $500-800 for just the jacket/pants/one-piece, then another $200 for proper boots. Yeah, TD just isn't in the budget right now. Really appreciate all the input. Maybe in a year or two I'll be able to go to one.

#11 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys. Looks like I may have to move this down on my to-do list. I think I'll stick with going to an IRC first, and waiting until I can afford another bike lol. Since this is my daily driver, I can't risk anything happening to it. I really don't want to be forced back into a cage and a 1.5-2 hour commute. Plus, I can see myself going crazy on mods, so better for me to just wait.

So far all I've got as far as gear is some A* SP-2 gloves and A* Faster shoes (which I'm not sure qualify as "over the ankle"). I've got leather pants but it doesn't zip to my jacket, which is mesh. So gear alone is prolly gonna cost me $500-800 for just the jacket/pants/one-piece, then another $200 for proper boots. Yeah, TD just isn't in the budget right now. Really appreciate all the input. Maybe in a year or two I'll be able to go to one.
I can't say that you will not have an accident at the track - but I will say as a beginner and you use your head - the likelihood of you crashing is very low. Heck I think you are at more risk of having an accident on your commute than at the track.

Again don't get caught up about the gear - check with the org you are considering - they may rent the gear.

What would really work for you - as stated already - go spend an afternoon at the track observing - talk to riders - trust me most will be happy to talk with you. You may be surprised someone will invite you to pit with them next time out and just may have gear for you to borrow.

Heck I keep a complete extra set of everything in my trailer as far as gear goes - many riders do - the one thing I don't want stopping my day is a gear issue - from a glove problem to race suit problem. Actually I have more problems with boots than anything.

#12 ·
Thanks, it's not just the risk of crashing that makes me want to postpone a TD. It's more of a budget-based decision. My bike is due for a brake fluid change, so I want to upgrade the lines/pads since I'll have to do anyway. And then I want to save up for a new rear shock, take the IRC class, get some better gear (not just for track days). It's for sure still on my radar, but I just have other priorities. I'm sure it'll be fun as **** once I do go, but there's other things that I feel I would get more use out of.

If anything, I may do as you said and just visit a track and observe. I'm always open to any opportunity to learn how to become a better rider. Are people allowed entry without actually riding the track?

#13 ·
It depends on the org, but I watched a trackday before riding at one.

Everything varies by org. Some require leather, some will allow textile (if it zips together at least) in the Novice groups. Just shoot the org and email if you can't find the info on their website.
Also, I got my leathers, track boots, and gloves second hand from folks in a state riders group. Alpinestars race suit, Sidi boots, and Joe rocket gloves altogether ran $280ish. Not in minty condition or anything, but still meet safety spec and got me riding way sooner than I would have otherwise. Same folks help with parking at the track, tips, food, mount tires, whatever. I even had someone pick me and my bike up for my first one since he had room on his trailer. So see if there's a local type group out there for your area, you might be surprised what you can buy/borrow!
Cortech has good suits if you want new, I think the Latigo is around $700.
If you can tow a trailer, Uhaul rents motorcycle trailers for about $15 a day. (US, not sure where you are)

So sure, it ain't the cheapest, but you might be able to make it way cheaper if you look for it.

#14 ·
My first track day cost me about $100. I believe I paid $75 for leather suit rental, and $25 for trailer rental. Track day itself was free.

Since then I've spent probably around $30,000 though....that's how they get you man. Great marketing! I wonder if drug dealers do the same. "Here, first bag of coke is on me"....if they don't, they're definitely losing on some potential customers lol

#15 ·
My first track day cost me about $100. I believe I paid $75 for leather suit rental, and $25 for trailer rental. Track day itself was free.

Since then I've spent probably around $30,000 though....that's how they get you man. Great marketing! I wonder if drug dealers do the same. "Here, first bag of coke is on me"....if they don't, they're definitely losing on some potential customers lol
There's the answer I was looking for lol. Man I really want to go, but I know I will get addicted...

#28 ·
No, but I know of some outside of Cali. Then you can actually live off of whatever salary you get lol Step 1 is to not live in the Bay Area! lol...plus as an automation engineer you can work at pretty much any manufacturing company in any industry. Most of them that are of decent size need automation engineers.

#19 ·
You spoke of buying brake lines ($125au for both in HEL and only needed if you want to get rid of abs), pads ($100), and a Shock ($60au for a Ninja 650)
^There is your first track day with coaching, gear hire and transport right there all paid for.

#20 ·
I actually just want to upgrade the front, since the rear is fine for me. So it'd be ~$140-160 for SS line and vesrah pads. The 650 shock is tempting, but I'd prefer something with adjustable rebound. I've been getting by with just shifting my weight to the balls of my feet when I go over bumps, but that only helps so much. There's just too many things I want to do with this bike.

I tend to change my mind a lot, so who knows, I may end up going to a TD sooner than later.

#21 ·
Good to hear :)

In 4 weeks time im lining up for a round 1 of state level 300 production championships,
Aside from some home made bits to suit my riding, a $60 ninja shock and a DNA air filter is the only performance bit ive spent a cent on.
Running std exhaust, havnt touched the forks, abs still there, no tune or anything.
Brakes dont work so all the more excuse to lay off them!
I wont come last.

The $320 annual race lic, $400 for tyres, $300 entry, $150 accommodation, $100 meals, $200 fuel.... etc etc etc is where the money gets burnt.
But id quit bikes at anything less than the rush a race start gives.
Recently did 2000km on the road over 4 days,
My first road ride on the r3 aftet 3yrs ownership (just to get the recalls done)
Batshit boring.

#22 ·
Do the trackday!!...It's the very best investment you can make. Ride the bike stock....being a newish rider, you will NOT outride the bike, but you WILL learn invaluable amounts of skill and knowledge...You will learn all about the bike's ability, you're true riding ability, etc. The knowledge you learn will equate DIRECTLY to your road riding skills which could save your life at some point. It's funny cause I still look back at the very first pic I bought from my first trackday and laugh....I remember seeing the photographer and saying, I'm really going to lean over for a good pic...When I got the pic, I was still nearly up and down, but almost pooped my pants cause I thought I was going to scrape hard parts....lol

The trackday org I work for is more of a school than just 'get on the track and ride'. They have classroom sessions after each session you go out on the track. You talk specifically about what you just learned, your mistakes, how to correct them, and then get to go put it to use again. They have body position seminars at least once a day in between sessions. They will even take you out one on one if you are having difficulty with a specific corner or skill (like getting on the throttle at the apex)...

As for gear, go onto the org's webpage or forum and ask to borrow. Most people would be ecstatic to have someone new at the track....our org is truly a family. You can go up to anyone and ask for anything and they will be glad to help....Also, like someone else said, being in the novice group, my org allows textile. I've crashed in textile before on the street and luckily got 0 bumps or bruises. They prefer to have them zip together, but as long as no skin is showing, they'll let you ride in Novice.

Lastly, just use your head when you're out there. The track is the safest place to learn. No cars, no cops, no sticks, leaves or sand on the ground - only you and smooth pavement. Use the time to learn and not just go as fast as you can. Respect the bike and use your right hand wisely and the chances of falling over almost diminishes. But again, what you learn could easily save your life.

#23 ·
I'd like to add that I do actually enjoy puttering around public roads, checking out the scenery, disconnecting from the old grind...etc. Having said that, the idea of track days are why I finally bought a motorcycle 2 years ago at 35yo. They are the reason I own a sportbike, and the only reason I'd be looking at 'moving up' to a 600. So yeah, you should get out this year and do one! Everyone should.

#24 ·
My wife is going to personally seek you all out and... have a stern talking to each and every one of you about how you are risking my life. lol. All joking aside, I'll at least try to visit a track and observe.

Maybe I'll just get the SS front lines for now and save the pads for later. I really hate that front brake.
@Aufitt: How is that shock working out for you? I'm 5'7", 155-160 lbs, so according to Jesse's site, the Ninja shock should be good enough for me, even if I decide to track regularly. I can prolly lose the 10 lbs to make it more ideal too. Just gotta stick to my keto diet better and not cheat every weekend.

#25 · (Edited)
My wife is going to personally seek you all out and... have a stern talking to each and every one of you about how you are risking my life. lol. All joking aside, I'll at least try to visit a track and observe.

Maybe I'll just get the SS front lines for now and save the pads for later. I really hate that front brake.

@Aufitt: How is that shock working out for you? I'm 5'7", 155-160 lbs, so according to Jesse's site, the Ninja shock should be good enough for me, even if I decide to track regularly. I can prolly lose the 10 lbs to make it more ideal too. Just gotta stick to my keto diet better and not cheat every weekend.
Get her involved :)

You may feel the 15mm longer is too high at first, mainly because the r3 is so low in the bum std.
Your (light) Weight might be problem, im 75kg and started off running 4/7 preload,
Tyre wear didnt behave till I backed it off to 2/7 and its perfect at one track which isnt high loading, but all off cambers and extremely bumpy (which requires as soft a setup as possible.)
It has quite good dampening. Ill stick with it.
On the road I forgot all about it. (Except having to lengthen the sidestand I reinsatlled for a week)
When you dont notice something on a bike, it means it must be doing its job.

#27 ·
My wife has 0 interest in riding herself or being a pillion. Doubly so due to cycle-ergo, which basically shows her knees up somewhere between my kidneys and armpits, basically pushing my elbows away!
She's not 100% into me riding track, but she does feel like it's not as bad as she fears, and with no cars around plus safety crews, is better than The Streets in some places.

Reactions: sbk1198
#29 ·
Eh, well that depends on your definition of "automation engineer." The term is so loosely used now, that it applies to way too many types of jobs. I actually work with laboratory liquid handlers. Not sure how well it translates to all the other automation engineer positions that pop up on online searches.

#30 ·
All the ones I've known or talked to, as well as the job postings I've seen around in the last few years have quite a few things in common. Usually mechanical or electrical engineering degree (EE preferred), knowledge/experience with PLC, electrical circuits, some programming language is usually beneficial (although that varies greatly based on the industry you're in), and knowing your way around hardware components. I'm guessing you just deal with smaller scale stuff, where everything is tucked inside the machines, whereas in other industrial applications, they have NEMA boxes for all the electrical stuff on the outside.

Nevertheless, I guarantee you that you could find something just about anywhere in the country. I wouldn't limit myself to just a small area. You may not find a higher paying job in other parts of the country, but your disposable income would be higher because your cost of living would be way lower.

What kind of liquid handlers do you deal with? Like lab fluid pumps? Mixers? Others? Just curious

#32 ·
I spend $59 for a rental truck to put my bike in, then ¥3600(~$34) week days/ 30 minute session and ¥4200(~$40)/ 30 mibut session. As mentioned, tires for the R3 are cheap, and at my slow ass pace, have done 12 track days and every day commuting on mine. Your mileage will vary.

Some orgs will give you track time for volunteering as a corner worker.

It costs more the first time as you start buying gear. If you are already good on gear, usually the guys that run canyon rides occasionally will already have their leathers, then that helps a lot.

Later on down the line when you start getting the feel of the track and look to improve, a lap timer might help you out. I know it has for me. Others may disagree on using one for just track day riders but I do think they has helped me out. I use an old iPhone, an external XGps160 and Harry’s lap timer.

Having a buddy take you the first few time helps. I know I was lost and anxious the first two times but then it got easier and easier. I mainly go by myself now.

#33 ·
IMHO, a lap timer is essential if you're looking at improving. Knowing you've improved or not, exactly which sector, are valuable feedback for a rider. A dedicated lap timer is desirable, but even just your phone (download Race Chrono) could do the same job.

#34 ·
For my first track day I all I had to do pay for was the day (~$200) and a tank of fuel. I rode there, I already had all the gear and my trackday provider allowed beginners to ride in Kevlar jeans. There are a lot of things that can make the day easier and more comfortable but are not necessary. @KimmyR3 I would disagree, it’s very obvious if you improved or not and where you are riding better/worse than other laps/sessions/days. I can tell if I’m a few tenths of a second faster or slower and these gaps are much larger than fractions of a second for beginners

#35 ·
Well this is all good feedback. I'll just work on getting all my gear first, since I'll likely be wearing leathers 100% of the time anyway. And then I'll use track days to use up the sides of my tires. That way the cost of the TD itself will "pay for itself" in that I'll be using the whole tire, instead of just the middle, right? Makes sense to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.