Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of sports cars do you think the R3 can keep up with or beat in a race,please share any experiences or knowledge you have about the R3 and cars...

·
Registered
155 Posts
I raced an r8 spyder from a set of traffic lights up a hill i had him for a bit then he passed me and just kept going same experience with a lamborghini aventador but it was fun trying to play catch up

·
Registered
542 Posts
Not a lot. R3 runs the quarter in the mid 14s @90 ish. Similar to v6 Mustang, rx8, 350z etc, but they all trap higher.

In corners, still not a lot. Sport cars just have more available grip. Might beat old muscle cars, but not many modern ones with grippy tires.

Lastly, if you were keeping up with a lambo and an r8 they weren't even trying. Both of those cars are at least a full second quicker getting to 60.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My C6 Corvette would have destroyed it any road any time anywhere -- but. . . sold the 'vette and kept the bikes, so you can guess which is actually more fun !

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
Funny a friend of mine wanted to go a local track and race me in his Ford Fusion. Personally, I think I could *probably* make it interesting but likely couldn't beat it. So if that's the best an R3 can do against a family sedan, we really don't have much hope against sports cars.

But that doesn't mean it isn't a TON of fun!

If you wanted to actually beat some of those cars you'd need more hp in the form of an R6 or R1. Then you'd likely be able to not only keep up, but have an excellent chance of beating them.

Of course, I am not condoning any type of illegal street racing - take it to the track where you can do it safely!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Newer VW GTI. The GTI pulled away slightly 1st and 2nd, the bike caught up 3rd through 5th then the car started to pull away again as the bike topped out. Close coarse obviously...It was really close in a straight line.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I don't see why an R3 would not beat a Fusion on a road course or in a straight line. 0-60 times are in the 5 sec range which is faster than 90% of the cars on the road. Sports cars will have more grip on a curvy road but not your average sedan or SUV.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Depends on the class of car and how good the rider/driver is. On average, if you're calling it a sports car, even at the entry level, it will outperform the R3.

·
Super Moderator
1,316 Posts
I don't see why an R3 would not beat a Fusion on a road course or in a straight line.
Even the slowest of cars match R3's top speed. Crap 1st gen Honda Fit did 115 even with slushbox. You underestimate how much air drag hurts when you've only got 37-38 whp.

·
Registered
433 Posts
fwiw r3 can run the quarter mile in stock form in 14 seconds/ high 13s

I think going fast in a straight line is kind of boring doe

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was referring more to acceleration of the R3 which is far and away quicker than a Fusion and that makes a big difference on most road courses. Does anyone here think a Fusion will out accelerate in a 1/4 mile or out perform an R3 on a road course? Given obviously a rider somewhere between a newbie and VR46.

·
Registered
330 Posts
To put in perspective, the fastest Fusion does the 1/4 mile in 14.5 seconds... The R3 isn't much faster than your typical midsize family sedan with whatever premium engine offering it has, especially once you hit like 4th gear.

·
Registered
92 Posts
To put in perspective, the fastest Fusion does the 1/4 mile in 14.5 seconds... The R3 isn't much faster than your typical midsize family sedan with whatever premium engine offering it has, especially once you hit like 4th gear.
Even so the R3 is much quicker 0-60 and being narrower can hit better apexes so should be faster on a road course. Faster on a course than a true sports car or a premium sedan? Probably not, but faster than the avg sedan or SUV.

·
Registered
330 Posts
What slows a motorcycle down around a track is the lack of rubber contact. For example, MotoGP bikes hit a higher top speed around COTA than F1 but F1 cars are faster around the whole track.

·
Registered
856 Posts
The rider skill is the weakest link.

Do some track days,
check your local 250/300 lap records,
and the lap records for 4 cyl naturally aspirated cars,
dont be surprised if you're way off the pace on any bike.. even on a 600-1000cc if you are new.

·
Registered
92 Posts
F1 cars are primarily faster than MotoGP at the same tracks due to downforce. The downforce of F1 allows them to brake and corner far in excess of 1g. Bikes do not have the downforce advantage, MotoGP wings not withstanding they probably don't do anything. The wings cannot be angled to increase downforce while cornering in both directions.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The quickest Fusion per zeroto60times.com, which quotes auto magazine testing, is a 2013 Titanium Ecoboost 1/4 mile at 14.9 sec and 0 to 60 at 6.7 sec. I'd bet Aufitt can beat that. Those 4 cylinder cars times at the track are probably Mazda Miatas not sedans.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts