Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So picked up a brand new R3 today. 2015 Raven.

I've only ridden around for 20 min and low RPMS...and the temperature meter showed 4 bars at some point. My legs were really feeling the heat and I could feel got air from the engine.

Is this normal for a new motorcycle? Maybe needs to break in?

I trained on a dual sport and a Honda Rebel for hours at a time prior to getting the R3, and neither were even remotely as hot as the R3 got in just 20 min.

·
Registered
330 Posts
If you think the R3 runs hot you're in for a rude awakening if/when you decide to upgrade.

Just think of it as natures way to assure you ride ATGATT.

·
Super Moderator
1,316 Posts
Yeah, I noticed the R3 runs considerably toastier than my old Ninja 250. I also see 4 bars as the cooling fan kicks on when stopped. 3 bars when moving.

Is there a way to make the cooling fan kick on a little bit sooner? They run 'em hot for emissions most likely ...

·
Registered
856 Posts
Its a new bike, tight and working hard,
Just because the temp gauge says 4 bars, does not mean its over temp.

These threads give even more credibility to a hard break in with multiple heat cycles,
and a few early oil changes.

·
Registered
856 Posts
After the first 20 mins operation, THAT is the time to let the engine cool to room temp.

·
Super Moderator
1,316 Posts
Lugging, you keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means. Lugging makes a HORRIBLE knock that lets you know that it's extremely unhappy. It is not simply using the lower rpm range.

·
Super Moderator
1,316 Posts
"Lugging the engine, i.e., low RPM with a lot of throttle (manifold pressure), is more detrimental than high rpm."
I agree, lugging is probably 1000x worse. But you're not describing lugging in your post ... the pressure is the explosion being contained in a cylinder where the piston is not moving fast enough. It slams the rod on the crank, and everything shudders. It happens in 6th gear somewhere around 18 mph / 2k rpms ... you're not lugging at 5k in any gear.

·
Registered
227 Posts
were you on stop and go/red light traffic most of the time?
I would only see it on 4bars only on red light but it's gone once it runs again

·
Registered
186 Posts
So picked up a brand new R3 today. 2015 Raven.

I've only ridden around for 20 min and low RPMS...and the temperature meter showed 4 bars at some point. My legs were really feeling the heat and I could feel got air from the engine.

Is this normal for a new motorcycle? Maybe needs to break in?

I trained on a dual sport and a Honda Rebel for hours at a time prior to getting the R3, and neither were even remotely as hot as the R3 got in just 20 min.
For piece of mind you should have the dealer check the coolant and oil to make sure when they set it up that someone did not get distracted and forgot to fill them to the proper point. I live in S.E. PA, and the only time I see 4 bars is when I pull into a hot garage it comes on for a couple seconds but then the fan drops it down to 3 bars.

·
Registered
130 Posts
For me this happened only once so far, and it was the usual situation of where I'd been riding on the autoroute sustained 110-120km/h and then got off into a city.

The fan does kick on when I'm in urban stop-and-go and lights (a roundabout/rond-point is always the solution....:nerd:) but mine stays at 3 bars. I don't frequently do this to the bike though; mostly flowing rural roads here :D

·
Registered
199 Posts
Depending on riding conditions (stop and go light), and your weather.. it can get up to 4. I've reached 4 before, but only once in a while. I'm in Southern California, so yea, it'll get hot at times here. The bike will get hot too, especially after some good riding.

Nothing to be alarmed about, IMO.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Another well known fact is that when you use a higher than recommended octane will cause the engine to run more hot in hot weather. Engine running higher than normal leads to shorter engine life.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Are you starting and stopping alot? Even in PA when it wasn't hot and I was learning the r3 like getting to know it... the clutch an just going slow it would get hot 4 bars it wants to be going. It will cool itself though.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
I never see 4 bars unless it is just cooking.. but im in Vancouver BC. the Rad is tiny so its not out of the norm for it to be hot

·
Registered
175 Posts
I haven't seen 4 bars either.. my bike stays steady at 3 even in 90 degree weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts