Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gotta say I'm in love with it and can't wait to buy one once I get the cash (I prefer to pay in full as I'm only 16).

·
Registered
89 Posts
I was surprised at how well it fit me being 6'2" with a 34" inseam. Much more comfy than the ninja i was originally going to buy. I am waiting to see what the 2016 has to offer as far as ABS in the U.S. before I pull the trigger. I planned on picking it up sooner but 2 abdominal surgeries amd 26 staples in my stomach slowed me down a bit as far as riding.

What color are you going for?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Buddy if you're 16 I don't think you have a choice but paying cash. You have no credit so you won't be able to get financing. You wouldn't anyway because you're a minor. You can't sign a contract as a minor so I doubt any dealer would sell you the bike anyway.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Its a fun little bike. Bought a used one with 94 miles on it this morning. The lady I bought it from decided riding isnt for her. It does feel like a toy compared to my previous bikes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was surprised at how well it fit me being 6'2" with a 34" inseam. Much more comfy than the ninja i was originally going to buy. I am waiting to see what the 2016 has to offer as far as ABS in the U.S. before I pull the trigger. I planned on picking it up sooner but 2 abdominal surgeries amd 26 staples in my stomach slowed me down a bit as far as riding.

What color are you going for?
Raven, and I actually prefer having no ABS. It teaches you the discipline of riding, not to mention i grew up without it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Buddy if you're 16 I don't think you have a choice but paying cash. You have no credit so you won't be able to get financing. You wouldn't anyway because you're a minor. You can't sign a contract as a minor so I doubt any dealer would sell you the bike anyway.
Parents agreed to sign it for me, as long as I pay them x% of my paycheck. I don't wanna go down that route though in case I lose my job.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Parents agreed to sign it for me, as long as I pay them x% of my paycheck. I don't wanna go down that route though in case I lose my job.
Please make sure you take the MSF course available near you, if you haven't already. Also don't forgot it's not just the price of the bike you need to budget for, you need to buy leathers and a good helmet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Please make sure you take the MSF course available near you, if you haven't already. Also don't forgot it's not just the price of the bike you need to budget for, you need to buy leathers and a good helmet.
I have a full set of leathers and a racing helmet i wore in drag races 2 years back in an 8 second car. All I need now is gloves and boots, and those are already on their way. I've budgeted everything, from gas to new tires.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
isnt there an alternative to the MSF course for experienced riders? I rode my buddies R3 around today (His parents own a private track). Not much different then a dirtbike and I ride it better then he does.

·
Registered
223 Posts
You will still likely learn something.

When I took the class, I had 3 people who have ridden dirt bikes for 10+ years, and they still asked questions on certain things and were commenting on how some maneuvers are different than the dirt bike. Especially the fact that you can't put your feet down ever on a curve and you don't want to drift your back tire either.

Although prices vary for tests and courses, generally it will cost just 30-40 bucks more to take the MSF course instead of just taking the written + road test alone and you will get the endorsement waiver at the end of the course.

·
Registered
227 Posts
You will still likely learn something.

When I took the class, I had 3 people who have ridden dirt bikes for 10+ years, and they still asked questions on certain things and were commenting on how some maneuvers are different than the dirt bike. Especially the fact that you can't put your feet down ever on a curve and you don't want to drift your back tire either.

Although prices vary for tests and courses, generally it will cost just 30-40 bucks more to take the MSF course instead of just taking the written + road test alone and you will get the endorsement waiver at the end of the course.
it's cheaper for under 21 to take MSF too. For example San Jose, CA here is $258 vs $180 for under 21, so it might even be cheaper to take the course than taking the test(not to mention possibility of retake). And you get discount for your insurance from taking the course too

Taking course with others and observations from others give you better insight to be a better riders. I've been on the road every day for almost a month since I have my bike and would still love to pass by the course and ask them a few more tips. Well I will probably take the intermediate course in a few months

1 - 11 of 11 Posts