Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
enjoying a nice brisk ride at night and decided to try the 94 Octane gas (I normally use 91) and during a nice long stretch of a secondary road I usually ring out the R3 to let her breathe a bit BUT tonight as soon as I hit 10K+ RPM the engine was pinging, below that it was ok?? now this has never happened so it's gotta be the gas..I'm thinking the ethanol in the 94 is causing it ?? anyhow last time I use the Petro Canada 94 in my R3! anyone else experience this?? if not maybe just got a bad batch:headscratch

·
Registered
91 Posts
I usually use premium gas, this last fill up I used regular and it's seemed and felt boggy. Haven't use 94 octane yet but I am definitely sticking to 91.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
My bike is track only - and it lives at red line - I use regular 87 octane runs fine. Using premium is not better for a low compression engine. The engine in stock form is designed to run on regular.

Remember premium fuels burn slower than regular - certainly better for high compression engines.

Running premium in the R3 is not getting us better mileage or more HP.

It certainly can help prevent engine knock at high rpm's and high cylinder pressures.

Also remember ethanol actually boosts octane ratings so a fuel with 10% ethanol in it will resist knocking more than a fuel with out it. Ethanol ignites at higher temperatures. Ethanol actually slows the combustion process down.

Don't get me wrong I don't like ethanol.

The only reason I can think of to use premium in your bike is if in fact you have pre detonation or knock - and most likely this is not happening on a stock R3 engine.

Now start doing mods to the engine that is a different story.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My bike is track only - and it lives at red line - I use regular 87 octane runs fine. Using premium is not better for a low compression engine. The engine in stock form is designed to run on regular.

Remember premium fuels burn slower than regular - certainly better for high compression engines.

Running premium in the R3 is not getting us better mileage or more HP.

It certainly can help prevent engine knock at high rpm's and high cylinder pressures.

Also remember ethanol actually boosts octane ratings so a fuel with 10% ethanol in it will resist knocking more than a fuel with out it. Ethanol ignites at higher temperatures. Ethanol actually slows the combustion process down.

Don't get me wrong I don't like ethanol.

The only reason I can think of to use premium in your bike is if in fact you have pre detonation or knock - and most likely this is not happening on a stock R3 engine.

Now start doing mods to the engine that is a different story.
This is all 100% spot on.

Op, your fuel is resisting to burn for too long and your getting retarded ignition. Advanced your ignition with a pcv or just use the correct fuel designed for the engine.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I live in the #6ix as well, I only use 87 from ESSO, no issues. No reason to use a higher octane on the R3 unless you tune it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I usually use premium gas, this last fill up I used regular and it's seemed and felt boggy. Haven't use 94 octane yet but I am definitely sticking to 91.

PCV - AutoTune - Block-off plate on mine. Defiantly feels better with premium, but again because of this forum I had decided to try Regular. Wasn't satisfied with the low end rpm, didn't notice much of a differance as I hit high on the power band.

·
Registered
235 Posts
PCV - AutoTune - Block-off plate on mine. Defiantly feels better with premium, but again because of this forum I had decided to try Regular. Wasn't satisfied with the low end rpm, didn't notice much of a differance as I hit high on the power band.

the salesman at del amo told me to use only 91 octane so that's the only gas i've ever put in it for about 2400 miles now...

should i start using 87? engine wise its stock with no muffler (cat still there)

wouldn't mind saving a couple dollars a month if it won't hurt the bikes lifespan or performance

·
Registered
91 Posts
the salesman at del amo told me to use only 91 octane so that's the only gas i've ever put in it for about 2400 miles now...

should i start using 87? engine wise its stock with no muffler (cat still there)

wouldn't mind saving a couple dollars a month if it won't hurt the bikes lifespan or performance

DelAmo told me the same and I got mine in Long Beach. Honestly this is my first time with 87 and I'm regretting it. But that's my opinion. Feel free to test it out and let me know how you feel.

·
Registered
235 Posts
DelAmo told me the same and I got mine in Long Beach. Honestly this is my first time with 87 and I'm regretting it. But that's my opinion. Feel free to test it out and let me know how you feel.

it's a pretty high compression motor isn't it? i think i'll stick with the 91, it runs pretty good to me

·
Registered
198 Posts
it's a pretty high compression motor isn't it? i think i'll stick with the 91, it runs pretty good to me
Yes, it's extremely high! 11.2 : 1, almost as high compression as formula 1 car! I live near a race track and they offer 120 octane, that's all I use in my bike and it's FANTASTIC. You should look around to where you can find higher octane or maybe get the booster they sell at the auto store!

·
Registered
87 Posts
In the manual it states - your engine has been designed to use regular unleaded gasoline with a pump octane number of 86 or higher. If knocking(or pinging) occurs use a different brand of gasoline or premium unleaded fuel.

They state this in the event knocking in fact does occur. They are not stating use premium - they are stating that premium fuel may help the problem.

Running a high octane fuel in the R3 when there is no mechanical reason to - is simply a waste of your money.

Now the reverse is not always the same with an engine requiring a high octane fuel and you use a low octane fuel could cause knocking - however most engines today are managed by EFI and have knock sensors to prevent this.

I see many riders at the race track using race fuel in their bikes and think they are gaining big HP numbers. In fact running really high octane and the engine is not tuned for it - well sometimes they experience the big bang effect.

If the bike runs fine on 86/87 octane it is not going to run any better or get better mileage running a higher octane.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
What everyone here has said is true. However, I have a friend who works for a fuel company and he tells me that the higher priced fuels have different additives for cleaning and other things (can't recall). But basically, for longer term health of the engine (and I'm guessing deposits and stuff), higher / premium fuel is all I'm going to put into my bike.

I can say that my first winter with the bike, I did not put it on a charger or do anything else, and it fired right up in the spring without issues. Luck or good gas, I don't know. My lawnmower and snowblower also get premium.

It might be urban legend but I've also heard that premium gas doesn't go 'bad' as fast so again, that's what I'll always use.

*flame suit on*

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yes, it's extremely high! 11.2 : 1, almost as high compression as formula 1 car! I live near a race track and they offer 120 octane, that's all I use in my bike and it's FANTASTIC. You should look around to where you can find higher octane or maybe get the booster they sell at the auto store!
theres a 76 station in la habra/brea area that has 105 or 110 octane fuel.... can't remember exactly it's been a long time since i been there

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well the manual does says the engine was designed to run on a RON of 95 or higher (see attached), which converted to North American standards (AKI) would be 91 Octane.

But ****...its your bike and your wallet. Dump whatever you want in the tank

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
Well the manual does says the engine was designed to run on a RON of 95 or higher (see attached), which converted to North American standards (AKI) would be 91 Octane.

But ****...its your bike and your wallet. Dump whatever you want in the tank
weird, looks like the US manual differs slightly.. recommending 86 octane or higher? 91 RON..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Oh sh*t.... now i have a tickle in my head about this thread...

In My country there is only 2 options for gas with 10% ethanol: 91 oct and 95 oct.. the "Dealer" said that the bike needs 95oct... didn't took time to read more carefully that part but the bike is running good at the moment but of course as it is still on breaking i have not take it over 7k rpm...

Now the other thing is that maybe you need to take in consideration that particular gas station was selling bad fuel... it happens even without the knowledge of the owners...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts